Southern Caribbean cruise

sarge98

My wife and I are going on a cruise this Jan on thr Caribbean Princess, southeran Cribbean fron San Juan. Our last cruise was on the Carnival Valor, eastern Caribbear. Carnival didn't have anything going when/where so this cruise is on Princess, first time, so any hints suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

My wife and I are going on a cruise this Jan on thr Caribbean Princess, southeran Cribbean fron San Juan. Our last cruise was on the Carnival Valor, eastern Caribbear. Carnival didn't have anything going when/where so this cruise is on Princess, first time, so any hints suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Go to the Roll Calls section of the boards for this specific cruise date/cruise line and that will get you in the right area for advice/opinions.... we're going on the same cruise Nov 1 and have gathered lots of useful info. Enjoy..... we're all so fortunate!

The CB is an absolutely beautiful ship. I'm about to sail her for the third time and I can't wait! The crew and the service are outstanding!

My best advice is to not go into the cruise ready to compare everything to your Carnival experience. Every cruise line and every cruise are different. Just enjoy it for what it is and I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time. :)

Oh and don't miss the International Café. It is a refreshing change from the buffet and the food is delicious! :D

My best advice is to not go into the cruise ready to compare everything to your Carnival experience. Every cruise line and every cruise are different. Just enjoy it for what it is and I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time. :)

My cruise on CB happened right after Carnival Liberty .. and I am still shocked how much better Princess can handle crowds. Our experience was much much better than with Carnival.

My cruise on CB happened right after Carnival Liberty .. and I am still shocked how much better Princess can handle crowds. Our experience was much much better than with Carnival.

I agree. I sailed on the Liberty as well and I couldn't believe how crowded it was on that ship....everywhere! It was not one of my best cruise experiences. I actually felt like I needed a vacation after that cruise. :(

I like the way that the CB is broken up into smaller areas. I can always find somewhere quiet to relax and the pool areas have never been as crowded as they were on Carnival, even on sea days.

find Beno Pascal in Dominica and book his van. his plaudits are already all over CC so you won't have any trouble finding him. and book Jolly Pirates (now) on your own direct rather than through the ship as the tours are different.

I can't say enough of the CB. big and roomy, easy layout. buy a soda card for both to "share". do anytime dining-absolutely. Don't forget there is that smaller pool in the aft.

and finally, GO TO THE USDA CHECKPOINT FIRST WHEN GOING HOME THROUGH SAN JUAN AIRPORT!!

I've got lots more, if you want.

The CB is an absolutely beautiful ship. I'm about to sail her for the third time and I can't wait! The crew and the service are outstanding!

My best advice is to not go into the cruise ready to compare everything to your Carnival experience. Every cruise line and every cruise are different. Just enjoy it for what it is and I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time.

Oh and don't miss the International Café. It is a refreshing change from the buffet and the food is delicious!

I sailed on the Liberty as well and I couldn't believe how crowded it was on that ship....everywhere! It was not one of my best cruise experiences. I actually felt like I needed a vacation after that cruise. :(

I like the way that the CB is broken up into smaller areas. I can always find somewhere quiet to relax and the pool areas have never been as crowded as they were on Carnival, even on sea days.

We have a hard time practicing what we preach. :D

quick question---how does one "share" the soda card? Can one also "share" the coffee card? Just curious to see how that works. Thanks. Never have purchased both, but thinking of doing so in January!

I shared the coffee card. You only get so many punches so they don't care. It cost 27 and I think we got 14 coffees. You can also get fresh brew from International cafe free and unlimited with the coffee card. There is absolutley no problem sharing the coffee card.

Our last cruise was on Carnival Valor as well and we loved it. We have been on the CB before and loved that trip as well.

I think you will really enjoy the little things that are unique to Princess that Carnival doesn't have. There's a lot more elegance to the CB.

However, I don't think you'll spend your time comparing the two ships. They are each unique and wonderful!

Enjoy!

I agree. I sailed on the Liberty as well and I couldn't believe how crowded it was on that ship....everywhere! It was not one of my best cruise experiences. I actually felt like I needed a vacation after that cruise. :(

We are considering a Southern Caribbean cruise on the CB in April , but wonder which trip is the best one to take. They have an Explorer and regular cruise, they both start in San Juan, but go to different ports. What ports did you visit on your cruise and do you know anything about the other cruise they offer. We are very interested in snorkeling and water activities so ports that offer that would be great. We have never been to Aruba and that is part of the Explorer cruise so that is why we are leaning toward that one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

We are considering a Southern Caribbean cruise on the CB in April , but wonder which trip is the best one to take. They have an Explorer and regular cruise, they both start in San Juan, but go to different ports. What ports did you visit on your cruise and do you know anything about the other cruise they offer. We are very interested in snorkeling and water activities so ports that offer that would be great. We have never been to Aruba and that is part of the Explorer cruise so that is why we are leaning toward that one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kathy

Ooooh I would love to see Aruba! That's one port that I have not seen yet. Out of all the ports on the Explorer cruise, I have only been to Dominica, where I thought that the snorkeling was excellent.

On the Southern Carib cruise, I have been to St.Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and St. Lucia. The snorkeling on St. Thomas is very good as well as on St. John (which is just a short ferry ride from St. Thomas). I did not snorkel in the other ports, so I can't help you there.

The CB is a beautiful ship. Whatever you choose, I'm sure that you'll have a wonderful time. :)

find Beno Pascal in Dominica and book his van. his plaudits are already all over CC so you won't have any trouble finding him. and book Jolly Pirates (now) on your own direct rather than through the ship as the tours are different.

I can't say enough of the CB. big and roomy, easy layout. buy a soda card for both to "share". do anytime dining-absolutely. Don't forget there is that smaller pool in the aft.

and finally, GO TO THE USDA CHECKPOINT FIRST WHEN GOING HOME THROUGH SAN JUAN AIRPORT!!

I've got lots more, if you want.

The airport agricultural check is NOT needed if you are getting off a cruise ship!!!

Just make sure when checking in at the airport you leave your colored debarkation tags on your bags until you check in to your airline. The ag check is there for folks that have been out in the country in Puerto Rico.

The guys that run the check will tell you this if you ask, but otherwise it is just an extra stop.

By the way, this is our favorite itinerary- we have our 4th booking set up for next spring. Wacky Rollers in Dominica was a lot of fun, including the swim into the waterfall.

The Southern Caribbean Explorer is an amazing itinerary. I would highly recommend it to someone who likes the water. Bonaire is the best snorkeling I have ever experienced. Dominica is an amazing island, too. I highly recommend Bumpiing Tours...they are the best! I think you would really enjoy this route.

we just booked the classic on the CB. The reason we picked this one is because we have been really wanting to go to St. Lucia. Also we have been to dominica twice and arubal twice so we are trying to change it up. We did not care that mcuh for dominica but loved Aruba. IF you go there try to book the de palm island excursion. It was so much fun. Another reason we chose the classic is because it goes to the british virgin islands and we have always wanted to get to Jost Van Dyke, which is where the soggy dollar is. Saw it on the travel channel and decided it was a must.

Thanks,

Kathy

Both routes are great, but the Aruba/Bonaire is the one we like best. The catch is that this is 6 ports in 7 days - not real relaxing. First time out we tried a snorkeling trip in every port and needed a vacation from the vacation. Aruba snorkeling was not that good but beach is easy to get to and from - the city bus takes US dollars and gives change. Or walk as far north as you like and take the bus back (about $1.40 last we were there). Bonaire has a bunch of excellent snorkeling spots. We went on a beach snorkel that was right off the end of the runway. Clearest water we have ever seen and only about 4' deep. Check the ports of call boards and see what you are interested in, then choose your cruise.

Other points - St Thomas, try either the All Day Cat with lunch or just catch the small ferry from the grocery store just to the east of the Crown Bay dock. Goes to Water Island just across the channel. Hike up and over the hill to the right and you will be at Honeymoon Beach. When we were there the only other people were stocking the bar for the weekend.

Fly in to San Juan the day before and stay at a hotel in the Isla Verde area. This is directly adjacent to the airport and has a really long and beautiful beach. Large grocery just to east of the Embassy and Holiday Inn (not Holiday Inn Express). The Condado area nearer the port is much less protected. Cab fare to port is around $23 (fixed price) plus about 50 cents a bag.

We ususally manage to get into the port building around 11:30, giving lots of time for lunch and exploring Old San Juan. There are two ports in San Juan. Pier 4 is right downtown but there is a slight chance you will get the Pan American pier across the bay. This is in the terminal building of an old airport and is a long way from any shopping.

There is a lot of info on San Juan - search for "San Juan port" to get started. Same is true for St Thomas. Can't give you the links since these are prohibited on this board but searches will find them.

We haven't been to any islands on either of Soutrhern routes except for St Thomas and Tortola, but we picked Classic because of St Lucia. It looks so beautiful and tours available are very interesting!

Okay, here are a couple suggestions for 'on the ship'. One, if you plan to enjoy Movies under the Stars (and it IS an awesome thing to do), then pack a sweat suit. It gets pretty cool at sea during the evenings, and the blankets they give you aren't at all big enough. Also, for Movies under the stars, the theater, or even Explorers lounge, it's advisable to plan on showing up a half hour before a show, because the venues aren't big enough to accomodate the passengers on such a large ship, and you'll have a hard time finding a seat unless you show up early.

With respect to ports, At St. Thomas if you're up pretty early you can't go wrong taking a ferry to St. John and visiting Trunk Bay. It's really beautiful. If you do this though, It will involve a few cab rides and a ferry ride, and Trunk bay accepts cash only for admission, so you need to bring a lot of cash.

If you're on the Explorer Itinerary, then when you hit Aruba, Baby Beach is awesome for snorkeling. The beach itself is very unimpressive, but the snorkeling out beyond the cove is mind blowing.

Have fun and enjoy your cruise.

Archived