What would you do???

scomar

So when I originally booked our trip on the Eurodam and having never sailed out of Ft Lauderdale before I purchased pre-cruise and post-cruise transfers from HAL(Final payment has past). Well little did I know at the time how close the pier is to the airport. Can't believe I didn't check that before hand as much research and planning that I do for cruises. Any way here is the question. The transfer cost me $34 one way for the two of us. So this means when we fly in the day before we have to grab a cab and get a hotel and then come back to the airport with all our luggage find the place the bus picks us up and then have them take us to the pier. Do you think it is worth giving up the $34 transfer and just stay close to the pier at a hotel and take a cab or hotel shuttle to the port instead?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks for your input

Scomar

I'd give up the transfer no matter what. The cruise port is *that* close to the airport. HAL will refund your money on those, too. Just call and cancel them. No biggie!

I already called HAL but since I'm past my final payment they will not let me cancel the transfers

Get a hotel with a free shuttle from and to the airport (and then use your transfers) and or better yet, find a hotel with free transportation to and from the port area as well. Then you can give up your HAL transportation and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I have had a couple of these learning experiences myself fortunately or unfortunately as the case may be.

Enjoy your cruise. Your pre-spent money on transfers is a sunk cost and as taught in business school, do not make your decisions based on sunk costs.

Have stayed at both the Hilton and Sheraton (near the airport) Sheraton told me they have 2 night min. for the weekend we will be there (11/20 - weekend before Thanksgiving) so booked Hilton. They have a free shuttle from airport to hotel. Then they have a shuttle for $9.00 a person to the port. Plan to use that. But I do agree that taxis are a bargain too.

We never EVER use ship transfers. Expensive and you have to wait until the bus fills up to even move........ not how I want to begin or end my vacation.

In 2002 we stayed in town at the Marriot Beach Place on our own for 2 days and rented a mini-van. After the cruise we drove to the West Coast for a couple of days to visit relatives before flying home out of FLL. In both cases, Dollar Rent A Car had a shuttle to take me to and from the ship, the airport and the rental car lot. The HAL transports made better sense when you were flying in and out of Miami or at some other port in Europe as was the case for me in 1993 and 1996. This time I am staying for a night at the Ramada which has a cruiseport/Airport shuttle. and then when we return, I have a limo arranged to take us to the airport. It's always best to go early and schedule your return flights late so you don't miss your connections.

So when I originally booked our trip on the Eurodam and having never sailed out of Ft Lauderdale before I purchased pre-cruise and post-cruise transfers from HAL(Final payment has past). Well little did I know at the time how close the pier is to the airport. Can't believe I didn't check that before hand as much research and planning that I do for cruises. Any way here is the question. The transfer cost me $34 one way for the two of us. So this means when we fly in the day before we have to grab a cab and get a hotel and then come back to the airport with all our luggage find the place the bus picks us up and then have them take us to the pier. Do you think it is worth giving up the $34 transfer and just stay close to the pier at a hotel and take a cab or hotel shuttle to the port instead?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks for your input

Scomar

When you purchased the transfers did you get it from Airport to hotel and then to ship?? That is how we always do it. Sounds to me like you also. IF so then keep the transfers, HAL takes care of everything.

Call HAL back and VERIFY from where to where the transfers are for .

Joanie

Since you are unable to cancel HAL's airport/pier transfer, I would book a hotel with free shuttle airport/hotel and hotel/pier ... and write off the $34 transfer cost. Consider it a donation to the local economy and/or HAL.

As for the pier/airport transfers, you might ask onboard if you can cancel and get those monies added to your shipboard account as OBC. That is, if you prefer a taxi over HAL's transfer on disembarkation day. Never hurts to ask.

Since you are unable to cancel HAL's airport/pier transfer, I would book a hotel with free shuttle airport/hotel and hotel/pier ... and write off the $34 transfer cost. Consider it a donation to the local economy and/or HAL.

I was going to say the same thing - many (if not most) of the major hotels provide free transportation to the cruise ships at Port Everglades. It's not worth it - either time-wise or financially - to hoof it back to the airport to catch an overcrowded HAL bus.

Enjoy your cruise! We'll be on Eurodam this weekend. I'll file a full report when we return. :)

Archived