Now that your big pack of soda is onboard...

Fjumpo

So I notice a lot of posts here about bringing your own soda onboard, and it seems as though "everybody" is doing it. My question is - where do you all actually drink it? Do you just drink it in your cabin with room service food? Out on pool deck? In the WJ? Even in the MDR?

Reason I'm asking is that I'm leaving with the Liberty of the Seas in 17 days, and thinking about bringing a 12-pack or so of Coke onboard. But are there any places on the ship where it's considered less OK to bring and drink your own soda? Personally, I wouldn't feel very comfortable with bringning a can or two of soda in to the MDR, but maybe people do this all the time?

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks! :)

I'm going to do the same and wondering where people would drink it also. The last 2 cruises I was on I got the soda package but they were only 5days so not as expensive.

I think on the Nov one I will just drink my own soda in the cabin on pool deck then buy drinks evening and meal times unless in WJ where I can get the free juices. I also intend to find a store that sells sugar free squash so I can drink the water.

I guess it would be the same if I was in a hotel complex.

We brought a insulated mug along (much like the soda package ones)

I carried this around the ship, normally in my bag. I used it while in port and while at the pool, also took it to the shows. However I did not use it in the dining room, where I normally just drank water. I think the main thing is to just use a little sense. I would never dream of walking into the mdr with a couple cans of soda.

honestly, I am bringing on my soda and will bring an insulated mug. A nice one, or even the one we got last year from RCCL when we did buy the soda package, and fill it before I go into the MDR or Windjammer. I am not going to try and get anything free from it as I will not be buying the package, but I figure with the logo I won't feel awkward :)

I drink it in my cabin. Many people start their day with a cup of coffee, I start with a Coke. :) It sure beats hunting down an open bar early in the morning where I can buy one. Any extras I have left over at the end of the cruise, I give to my room steward. I also bring on a 12 pack of Aquafina water bottles. Aquafina is the only bottle that I can't taste the plastic from the bottle in the water. I drink mostly water during the day and refill them onboard.

If you bring Coke products, they won't know (or care) where you got it....that's what they sell and you can bring it anywhere.

Or, put your soda in a glass with ice---

If it's allowed onboard, then you can drink it wherever you want.

If you bring Coke products, they won't know (or care) where you got it....that's what they sell and you can bring it anywhere.

Or, put your soda in a glass with ice---

If it's allowed onboard, then you can drink it wherever you want.

Any brand, any where. They really don't care. We always take a twelve pack, or more, of Sprite Zero with us(I know it's a coke product). Until this year they did not have Zero on-board. We ask the room stewart to take everything out of fridge and we put the Zero in it. Sometimes you have to leave the cabinet door ajar to let the compressor heat out in order to get them cold enough. We have thermal cups with us but will also take cans to wherever we are going.

My fiance is a Mountain Dew fiend. He begins his day with a Dew like most people get started with coffee.

On port days we tend to miss lunch in the WJ or MDR, so we grabb a snack in the Promenade Cafe to take back to our cabin and he would have another Dew there.

He NEVER took a can to dinner with him... he would order a coke with his meal.

We inevitably would have some leftover and gave them to the cabin stewards who always loved them. Apparently Mountain Dews aren't always easy to find.

Ann

I usually bring some diet DP with me onboard. I only drink it in my cabin or balcony. I know the ships don't sell diet DP so I'd feel weird about bringing it to the dining room or outside my cabin. I normally drink water or the occasional alcoholic beverage during meals or shows. The water is better for me anyway.

I don't remember seeeing anyone bringing their own sodas into the dining room but I don't pay that much attention.

I bring sodas for my room and the pool area. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a canned soda to the buffet (because there you walk up to the Plaza bar, order a drink, and carry it to your table), but it would be the height of tackiness to bring your own drink to the MDR. Well, I would do that IF I drank sodas with meals, which I don't do often.

Last year on Explorer we brought water and Monster energy drinks aboard. We drank them where ever we liked. I actually would bring the Monster to the bar, order a Stoli O and tonic and add my Orange Monster to it right there. Noone cared at all. I plan to do the same on my upcoming cruise on the Grandeur.

We sailed the Freedom this past May and checked our igloo cooler with the pop in it with our lugage. It showed up with our lugage outside our door. We asked our cabin steward if she would put ice in it everyday and she said no problem. We drank it in our cabin first thing in the morning and then at night. It was the first time we have ever done that and WOW we loved it.

I bring sodas for my room and the pool area. I wouldn't hesitate to bring a canned soda to the buffet (because there you walk up to the Plaza bar, order a drink, and carry it to your table), but it would be the height of tackiness to bring your own drink to the MDR. Well, I would do that IF I drank sodas with meals, which I don't do often.

Many people stop at a bar before dinner for a drink and I have seen many people who have not finished their drink carry it into the dining room with them. Whether it is a mixed drink, beer, or a soda why would it be tacky? No one in the dining room knows where the drink came from.

Let me get this straight,you have just spent hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars for a cruise on luxury liner,packed a cocktail dress and may be a nice suit or a tuxedo and then cheap out by bringing soda or water on board to save the cost of a few drinks.Have i got this right,because it seems wrong to me.:cool:

Let me get this straight,you have just spent hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars for a cruise on luxury liner,packed a cocktail dress and may be a nice suit or a tuxedo and then cheap out by bringing soda or water on board to save the cost of a few drinks.Have i got this right,because it seems wrong to me.:cool:
No, it's more of an addiction thing. I am a diet DP addict, which is not available on Royal Caribbean. If I were a Coke, diet Coke, or Sprite addict, I wouldn't bother bringing any. If RC would sell canned or bottled diet DP (fountain diet DP doesn't taste good!) onboard that I could get with a soda card, then I would get a soda card.

I don't bring my diet DP out of the cabin so you'd never know that I had it. Sorry that you feel my soda drinking habits are "wrong".

Let me get this straight,you have just spent hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars for a cruise on luxury liner,packed a cocktail dress and may be a nice suit or a tuxedo and then cheap out by bringing soda or water on board to save the cost of a few drinks.Have i got this right,because it seems wrong to me.

YUP :) Sorry you think it is wrong, but RCCL doesn't. If the cruise line doesn't have an issue with me bringing my own soda aboard, then why should anyone else? I am not smuggling it in, I am walking right on with it because it is allowed. They get me extra ice for it, and they get the left overs happily at the end of the cruise. Sorry, why should I feel bad. I like my diet coke cold first thing in the morning. I do not drink coffee, so I will drink it when I want and carry it where I want until RCCL says I can't.

Many people stop at a bar before dinner for a drink and I have seen many people who have not finished their drink carry it into the dining room with them. Whether it is a mixed drink, beer, or a soda why would it be tacky? No one in the dining room knows where the drink came from.
Pointing out the obvious: YOU just said YOU knew where the drinks came from.

Seriously, though, you've probably seen people people breaking all manners of ettiquette rules in the MDR. I vividly remember one dinner with a teenaged boy who ate everything (salad!) with his hands; his mother sat right beside him looking ashamed, but saying nothing. Just because some people have an "anything goes" attitude doesn't mean that they're right to do so.

When one is dining in a formal atmosphere with white tablecloths, candles (well, maybe not candles on the ship, but I'm setting an atmosphere here), wait staff, and all the accoutrements, one does not schlep in one's own beverages to the table as if the meal were a tailgate party or a pig-picking. It's a matter of manners, just like dressing appropriately for the atmosphere, arriving on time, discussing appropriate dinner topics, and using the appropriate silverware. One does not serve oneself in a formal dining situation, and that's what bringing a drink to the table would be. It's a matter of behaving appropriately for the atmosphere.

The buffet is a different story -- it's a casual, serve-yourself atmosphere. The pool deck is certainly okay. But the MDR -- in the evening anyway -- is formal dining, and formal dining does come with certain expectations.

Archived