Seabourn Legend 2010-2011 cancellations due to pirate concerns.

Friscorays

Yes, I agree I thought we were talking about Africa and the Seychelles on this thread. Well, since the Legend cruise was cancelled, my DH still wants to go to Africa so we are doing safari now instead of Seabourn in 2010. Thankfully, we did an Open Booking on our cruise last month, so will be able to book another Seabourn cruise in 2011, once all the itineraries are announced. ;)

Now back to the topic of the thread. I can see the problem any cruiseline would have with the piracy not being resolved in that area, so naturally it is too risky at the moment, but hope this will all be put back on the agenda in the not too distant future. The Seychelles, Maldives area etc is one we would love to see....and Africa we havent even started on yet! Another cruise I would love to do is one out of Dubai going to Oman and other parts of the Arab Emirates.....think Costa are doing that at the moment....only thing puts us off is they are only 7 days....would love to see Seabourn do much longer cruises in this area.

.....think Costa are doing that at the moment....only thing puts us off is they are only 7 days....would love to see Seabourn do much longer cruises in this area.

costa does a repositioning cruise twice a year from dubai to savona and vice versa. i did it in 2008 on the costa europa. costsa isn't seabourn by a long stretch, but it was a nice cruise with great ports.

I have been to Dubai several times for business and pleasure and have never had a problem with customs or immigration there. I too carry medication and provided it's in the original packaging and has my name on the pharmacy label it doesn't merit a second glance from the authorities. However, in common with many other countries, they take a dim view of people arriving with anonymous containers of mysterious tablets, especially in large quantities.

Now, back to the pirates and Seabourn. I live in Australia and we get very slim pickings from the cruise lines, especially at the luxury end of the market, so it's very disappointing to see those ships that do venture out of the Caribbean to visit this part of the world from time to time disappearing back to the Caribbean because of the real or perceived threat from pirates. The Caribbean may be on the doorstep to the majority of cruisers but it's about as far away as you can get from here! This decision by Seabourn reduces our already limited choices even further.

• 5 weeks later...
I would like to enter a thought on the subject of travel. It used to be fun, and it no longer is. Do we prefer the Carib? NO!...The fact is...it is such a hardship to travel with the security and tough air terminals around the world...that many of us prefer to just enjoy the ship at a location that is reasonable. I never thought I would say that. But after many experiences of horror in the air terminals in the last few years...we will no longer do anything..but..the Carib..or the Mexican Riviera. Yes, the various exotic itineries are enchanting. Thank goodness we did most of them in the good times. The reality...the good times are no more. God bless those who still care to be pushed around and abused enroute..it just won't be us!

Come on down to Australia. It's super safe down here:D

We loved Australia. We were treated so well there..and love the cities that we visited. We did Sydney,[my husband did Melbourne], and Perth. We had a great time at the Great Barrier Reef. Beautiful. Loved the food..thought your oysters outstanding. The wines were good, and we have continued to enjoy them. You have a right to be proud. Lola

• 7 months later...
We loved Australia. We were treated so well there..and love the cities that we visited. We did Sydney,[my husband did Melbourne], and Perth. We had a great time at the Great Barrier Reef. Beautiful. Loved the food..thought your oysters outstanding. The wines were good, and we have continued to enjoy them. You have a right to be proud. Lola

Bit late I know but ........awww shucks.......you are so right:D

Archived