Seabourn Legend 2010-2011 cancellations due to pirate concerns.

Friscorays

Citing piracy concerns, Seabourn drops Indian Ocean series pdf_button.png printButton.png emailButton.png Wednesday, 07 October 2009 10:50 Citing concerns about piracy, The Yachts of Seabourn has decided not to operate a series of voyages in the Indian Ocean aboard Seabourn Legend in late 2010 and early 2011.

Instead, the vessel will reposition back to the Americas at the end of its Mediterranean season to cruise in the Caribbean over the winter. Week-long itineraries will sail between Fort Lauderdale and St. Thomas, or round-trip from St. Thomas.

Calling the Indian Ocean decision ‘regrettable,’ Seabourn president and ceo Pamela Conover said that while the shoreside destinations remain safe for visitors, the high seas routes between them are currently vulnerable to incidents of piracy that have not been adequately controlled.’

In a 2005 incident that made global headlines, Seabourn Spirit repelled a boarding attempt off the coast of Somalia by men in two small boats firing guns and grenades. The ship took evasive action and escaped harm. One crew member suffered a slight injury from schrapnel but was able to remain at his post.

In April, MSC Cruises’ Melody repelled armed pirates near the Seychelles, prompting MSC to announce it would suspend operations in the region.

‘It makes me sad to have to cancel these cruises,’ Conover said. ‘I personally loved touring Kenya’s game parks and the islands of the Seychelles, Madagascar and Zanzibar are lovely and exotic destinations where we sincerely had hoped to be able to take our guests.

‘We look forward to a time when the sea routes are controlled enough for us to cruise there for a season,’ she added.

Seabourn Spirit will be transiting the region in November 2010 when it repositions from the Mediterranean to Asia via Egypt, the Suez Canal, the Red Sea and Oman to Dubai. Spirit will then continue via India, Thailand and Malaysia to Singapore to begin a season of cruises visiting Bali, Borneo and the islands of the Java, Flores and Savu seas. The ship will continue to Australia’s Northern Territories and Great Barrier Reef.

Seabourn Pride will cruise in Asia for the full year and in the autumn will sail in China, Thailand and Vietnam. Seabourn Odyssey will make a maiden circumnavigation of South America in early 2011.

To me..that is GREAT news. Our Legend is back HOME! for a while anyway.

For those of us who have booked 23 nights in March 11 this is a huge disappointment and the above comments don"t help.

For those of us who have booked 23 nights in March 11 this is a huge disappointment and the above comments don"t help.

I beg your pardon, but ....my delight in getting our ship back to the Carib..has no bearing on your disapointment for your cruise. I did not do the change..am not responcible for it...simply seeing a bright side for some of us. If I were in your shoes..I too would be disapointed. I stand by my comment! Lola ;)

I think it's a real shame because one of the benefits of having the new ship was that we could get some different itineraries on the triplets. Now we get the same old same old in the Caribbean. If we wanted to be back home we could stay back home.

I think it's a real shame because one of the benefits of having the new ship was that we could get some different itineraries on the triplets. Now we get the same old same old in the Caribbean. If we wanted to be back home we could stay back home.

I would like to enter a thought on the subject of travel. It used to be fun, and it no longer is. Do we prefer the Carib? NO!...The fact is...it is such a hardship to travel with the security and tough air terminals around the world...that many of us prefer to just enjoy the ship at a location that is reasonable. I never thought I would say that. But after many experiences of horror in the air terminals in the last few years...we will no longer do anything..but..the Carib..or the Mexican Riviera. Yes, the various exotic itineries are enchanting. Thank goodness we did most of them in the good times. The reality...the good times are no more. God bless those who still care to be pushed around and abused enroute..it just won't be us!

....after many experiences of horror in the air terminals in the last few years........those who still care to be pushed around and abused enroute.....

Horror?? Abused?? Where in God's name were you travelling? Sounds like you need a good lawyer! :rolleyes:

Horror?? Abused?? Where in God's name were you travelling? Sounds like you need a good lawyer! :rolleyes:

I can think of several times when that would have been nice...but a bodyguard might have been better..ha. Yes, I am jaded by the fact that I enjoyed travel when it was pleasant. The last time we went through Paris did it for me. I have a heart problem and felt that I might expire by the time they shepherded us around in an absurd manner. I thought I was in bad shape from it all..till one poor lady came gasping onto the bus they used to finally take us to the plane..and was really in scary shape. We all feared that she would go into a stroke or heart attack. I admit that physical problems enter in...but those without were stunned by it all as well. We have enjoyed the world travel for years...so it is time to take it a bit easier. Lola :p

I would have thought a lot of people would be delighted the Legend is not going to be based in Dubai for the Winter , where you get put in jail for being Gay ,or having 0.0001grm of cannabis or having carnal knowledge outside of a marriage. Hope that is not too controversial or cruise critic. I am looking forward to many more Transatlantic crossings on the Legend.

I understand that flying and the airport experience are difficult for some. But for others it is not. If one wants the Caribbean the Odyssey and probably one of the other new ships will be there to take you. But for those who want a more exotic itinerary and don't mind flying a very real alternative has been removed. Why not at least base the Legend in Tahiti and sail that area? Anything different. I'm sure others could come up with more alternatives.

My thought is the Africa/Indian Ocean voyages were not selling well and the "powers" decided to position the Legend in the Caribbean ~~simply more bookings.

As I wasn't considering an Indian Ocean sailing I might decide now to book a 14 dayer in the Caribbean.

Martita B

My thought is the Africa/Indian Ocean voyages were not selling well and the "powers" decided to position the Legend in the Caribbean ~~simply more bookings.

As I wasn't considering an Indian Ocean sailing I might decide now to book a 14 dayer in the Caribbean.

Martita B

You and I agree. We can't all want the same thing..so..when it turns our way...whay can't we be happy about it! Lola :rolleyes:

I would have thought a lot of people would be delighted the Legend is not going to be based in Dubai for the Winter , where you get put in jail for being Gay ,or having 0.0001grm of cannabis or having carnal knowledge outside of a marriage. Hope that is not too controversial or cruise critic. I am looking forward to many more Transatlantic crossings on the Legend.

Never had a problem flying in or out of Dubai!! Personally would rather have cruises based in Dubai than the Caribbean!

Well said! Here, here.... isn't that what you say in the UK? And by the way - always look forward to any Seabourn sailing!

Hope to meet you along the way!

Marja

Never had a problem flying in or out of Dubai!! Personally would rather have cruises based in Dubai than the Caribbean!

As a newbe to this board, I know that I probably should listen and not offer opinions. ;) But......

A couple years ago my DH had a business trip to Dubai. The nature of his profession requires a great amount of both international and domestic travel. As far as I can remember Dubai is the only destination that he has ever said that he felt uncomfortable when entering the country. From listening to him it sounds like "Big Brother is always watching".

There are amazing sights and architecture to see, no one can take that away from Dubai, but still for the vacation traveler it does seem to require a very good knowledge of their laws as they have very little tolerance.

I realize that many of you on this board are world travelers having been to parts of this world that I haven't had an opportunity to experience and because of this you are more prepared to experience the amazing development of Dubai.

Archived