Mariner Review 9/13

sammyt

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for $70.00. Rode the free shuttle and arrived at around 11:00. Porters were there taking our bags, and giving us tags if needed. Then we went to check in, and it did not take but a few minutes. We were able to board by 11:45. My kids came later at around 1 to 2 and they say they just walked on, no line at all.

Keep in mind when you read my review, that the last ship I went on was in March, and it was the Celebrity Solstice. Excellent in every way.

Our room was on the ninth floor, almost the last to the back of the ship. The room was fine, no complaints, and our room steward was wonderful. The only problem I had with our room was the dividers between rooms. I had asked it be removed, so I could have access to my kids rooms and vice versa. I was told the captain no longer allowed that, as it was a security issue. We had 3 rooms together just for that purpose, so needless to say, I was not happy about that. The other thing about the room that I was upset about was the bag that was supposed to be in my room that is always complimentary. I always use it to carry my towels, etc on shore. Therefore, I did not take one with me. I was informed that they quite doing that as of September 1. (Just another cut) Also, as someone already stated, there were no chocolates on the pillows at night. (Again, just another cut) Our shower doors did not fully come together in the middle, resulting in a wet bathroom. One of my kids shower backed up and flooded there bathroom and some of there room.

I was not happy with the Windjammer. I did not like the layout. Not much variety either. There was no outside seating. Also, this is the first ship I have been on that does not have self-serve beverages. There is no place on the ship to get ice and beverages other than the Windjammer, and you have to be served. One other BIG problem with the Windjammer, it closed at 2:30 each day, and did not open up again until 6:00. There was no place to get food or beverages, except the Café in the Promenade, and the food was limited to very small sandwiches, some pastries, and very stale cookies, and some pizza. They also had Seattle’s Best coffee, which was the worst coffee I have ever tasted. You could also get a glass of water. I really missed having food served at the pool anytime of day. The Windjammer was it, no pizzeria, or fast foods poolside. You also could not order beverages such as juice from room service once the Windjammer was closed. They wanted to charge you! My son tried this, and went all the way to the top to get his juice finally delivered. So the next morning for breakfast, they ordered enough juice to last the day. (Is this another cost cutting rule put in effect)

I am wondering if all RCL ships operate as above, or just the Mariner. Would like to hear from others. If they are all going to this new schedule for food, I think I will stick with Celebrity. Food was 24/7 and plenty of self-serve beverages.

Ate at Chops one night, and it was excellent. Highly recommended. We had 8 people in our party, and they served all side dishes family style. They did, however, tell us there would be an extra charge for more than one entrée ordered. (Is this another cut)

Dinner in the dining room was just fine. We loved our servers. We were very impressed with our MaitreD whose name was Cal. If you get him, he does tricks, ask him to perform some for you. We also had to change our table when we first boarded, as they did not have all of us together. This went pretty well, however, was a long line to stand in. We also made our reservations for Chops when we first boarded, which I recommend if you want to eat at one of the Speciality restaurants.

In Mazatlan and Puerta Vallerta, go out to the main street to pick up a cab. They are much cheaper.

SammyT

You mean they have gotten rid of the plastic bag that was always hanging on the wall? I liked those also for the beach

And last time I was on the Mariner, mind you whole year ago, the Windjammer would open back up at around 3 for afternoon tea, they have done away with this also?

Thank You for you review

It seems like the food thing and some other things sort of bothered you... so you may want to check out Princess next time as they have 24 hours buffet and still put chocolates on the pillows (we went this past january). I will be on this cruise ship in January and am sort of happy food is not offered all of the time... hopefully that means I will not gain too much weight :D

Sammyt, sorry you did not enjoy your trip on the Mariner, looks like a little of research before your trip may have helped out. A lot of the things you didn't care for have been mentioned on here A LOT. Besides, the past guest gift (I assume that's the bag you are talking about) was never delivered until late in the cruise and it wasn't always a bag as a gift, its been picture frames, baseball caps, etc so not sure how that would have helped.

I do agree with another poster, we were able to go to the Windjammer for more than the times you mentioned. Don't remember exactly when, but we were there in the afternoon. We sailed in August so wasn't that long ago. The one thing that I disagree with is the quality of what you can get in the cafe promendade, the cookies and finger sandwiches are wonderful IMO, often too wonderful and I eat too many.

Was everything perfect on our cruise, no, but we definitely had a great time and will be back again. Hopefully your next cruise will be more enjoyable for you.

SammyT

You mean they have gotten rid of the plastic bag that was always hanging on the wall? I liked those also for the beach

And last time I was on the Mariner, mind you whole year ago, the Windjammer would open back up at around 3 for afternoon tea, they have done away with this also?

Thank You for you review

No, I am talking about the good cloth bags with RCL on them that you would have to buy, but is usually in your room.

I am sailing on the Mariner January 3, 2010. Which Crowne Plaza did you stay in? You mentioned a free shuttle, was that from LAX to the hotel? How did you get to the port? I know, lots of questions. Thanks in advance for your help.

We flew into Long Beach and took Prime Time Shuttle which was very reasonable, (can't remember how much). We stayed at the Crown in San Pedro, and they provide a free shuttle to the pier.

We are in Room 9369 (inside). Have never been on this class of ship.

What was your cab fare to the Crowne Plaza? Thanks

We used Prime Time Shuttle which is much cheaper than a cab. Get quotes for both!

Sammyt, sorry you did not enjoy your trip on the Mariner, looks like a little of research before your trip may have helped out. A lot of the things you didn't care for have been mentioned on here A LOT. Besides, the past guest gift (I assume that's the bag you are talking about) was never delivered until late in the cruise and it wasn't always a bag as a gift, its been picture frames, baseball caps, etc so not sure how that would have helped.

I do agree with another poster, we were able to go to the Windjammer for more than the times you mentioned. Don't remember exactly when, but we were there in the afternoon. We sailed in August so wasn't that long ago. The one thing that I disagree with is the quality of what you can get in the cafe promendade, the cookies and finger sandwiches are wonderful IMO, often too wonderful and I eat too many.

Was everything perfect on our cruise, no, but we definitely had a great time and will be back again. Hopefully your next cruise will be more enjoyable for you.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my cruise, I did not enjoy the new nickel and diming RCL is now implementing to save money. Don't be fooled, RCL is making money hand over fist. Prices are higher to cruise than I have ever seen them, and they are filling the ships a well. Ours was full. If this kind of thing is not stopped, all amenties will eventually disappear.

It seems like the food thing and some other things sort of bothered you... so you may want to check out Princess next time as they have 24 hours buffet and still put chocolates on the pillows (we went this past january). I will be on this cruise ship in January and am sort of happy food is not offered all of the time... hopefully that means I will not gain too much weight :D

Actually Celebrity is top notch, I have gone on Princess, but still like Celebrity best. I do have the Oasis booked for next year, and I know it will be very ala carte.

I forgot to mention that we did the wine program. It cost us $137 for the most expensive program, and that was for 5 bottles. The only thing great about the program is that you can drink the wine anywhere you want, you can take the bottle with you. Can't do that if you just buy a bottle. You have to pay a cockage fee, and the bottle must stay in the dining room. Oh that reminds me of another cut back, no wine stewards anymore, or were there ever on RCL?

Anyway, we found our favorite bottle that we liked best at Fred Meyer Grocery Store for $7.99 on sale, regular price 11.99. So, yes they are making lots of money.

Don't be fooled, RCL is making money hand over fist. Prices are higher to cruise than I have ever seen them, and they are filling the ships a well. Ours was full. If this kind of thing is not stopped, all amenties will eventually disappear.

Actually, RCL is drastically slashing the fares including the Mariner. There have been recent thread on here with people booking at $299 pp for an inside. For 7 days, I don't know where you can go for $299 that includes hotel, food and entertainment! Yes, they are filling the ships, but it takes drastic cuts like these to do so. On our upcoming Mariner cruise, I bought a D2 at $778 pp, and finally had it go down to $603! That' pretty much unheard of, and they were even offering balcony guarantees for $497.

As for the windjammer they do open up at 3pm in the afternoon for snacks. I really was never hungry at that time so I can't say waht they had but I know they had out cookies and some other finger food type of things. There is never a time where you can't get food on that ship when you want it!

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy my cruise, I did not enjoy the new nickel and diming RCL is now implementing to save money. Don't be fooled, RCL is making money hand over fist. Prices are higher to cruise than I have ever seen them, and they are filling the ships a well. Ours was full. If this kind of thing is not stopped, all amenties will eventually disappear.

I can't tell how often you have sailed on RCI from what you have here, but I do have to say that I 100% disagree with your statement about prices. We sailed Mariner Western Caribbean in June of 2007 and then again in August of this year on the Mexican Riviera route. For the same cabin types on both sailings we paid HALF this year of what we did 2 years ago. That does not sound like prices are higher to me. If anything cruise prices have gone down over the past few years. Unfortunately the cruise lines need to do something to make up for that money they are loosing on the initial fare. Again, a little research before your cruise would have alleviate many of the disappointments you had as they have been discuss many many times here on CC.

I can't tell how often you have sailed on RCI from what you have here, but I do have to say that I 100% disagree with your statement about prices. We sailed Mariner Western Caribbean in June of 2007 and then again in August of this year on the Mexican Riviera route. For the same cabin types on both sailings we paid HALF this year of what we did 2 years ago. That does not sound like prices are higher to me. If anything cruise prices have gone down over the past few years. Unfortunately the cruise lines need to do something to make up for that money they are loosing on the initial fare. Again, a little research before your cruise would have alleviate many of the disappointments you had as they have been discuss many many times here on CC.

I agree with you 100 percent. We were on the Mariner in May of 08 and Sept of 09. And i paid less than half of the cost for the same inside cabin for the Mexico cruise. Same great ship just a different itinerary. And thanks to CC i already knew about the changes that were to go into effect on 9-1-09. Was a great cruise for the price thats for sure. Dont know of any way i could get a better trip at that kind of price. Larry

Thanks for the review - it's good to hear the bad with the good. It has been my experience that Windjammer is always open around 3 or 4 for tea - cheese,fruit,light sandwiches etc. I've also found the Cafe Promenade to have decent quality pizza, sandwiches and cookies - and I believe it's open almost 24/7. But depending on traffic, I'm sure the CP food can get old and stale at times.

Gotta agree on the prices - our November Mariner cruise is embarassingly cheap for a JS - but I'm not offering to give them more for it. :) Our March Voyager cruise is also cheaper than the last 3 sailings we have done on RCI.

Actually, RCL is drastically slashing the fares including the Mariner. There have been recent thread on here with people booking at $299 pp for an inside. For 7 days, I don't know where you can go for $299 that includes hotel, food and entertainment! Yes, they are filling the ships, but it takes drastic cuts like these to do so. On our upcoming Mariner cruise, I bought a D2 at $778 pp, and finally had it go down to $603! That' pretty much unheard of, and they were even offering balcony guarantees for $497.

As for the windjammer they do open up at 3pm in the afternoon for snacks. I really was never hungry at that time so I can't say waht they had but I know they had out cookies and some other finger food type of things. There is never a time where you can't get food on that ship when you want it!

When they changed their itieniers and sailed to Pacific NW instead of Mexico, yes, they were giving away cabins to get people to book. Now the prices are back up, because people are willing to pay, and are doing so to cruise. $778 is not a good price. $603 is not unheard of, mine was lower. Don't know how long you have been cruising, but these are not fantastic prices. As for the Windjammer, don't know when you cruised, but the Windjammer closed and reopened at 6:00 on our cruise. Only place you could get something was the Promenade Cafe.

When they changed their itieniers and sailed to Pacific NW instead of Mexico, yes, they were giving away cabins to get people to book. Now the prices are back up, because people are willing to pay, and are doing so to cruise. $778 is not a good price. $603 is not unheard of, mine was lower. Don't know how long you have been cruising, but these are not fantastic prices. As for the Windjammer, don't know when you cruised, but the Windjammer closed and reopened at 6:00 on our cruise. Only place you could get something was the Promenade Cafe.

I have been cruising about 11 years now........and prices on all cruiselines are historically low..........

We were on the Mariner in August and did not have a problem finding food.......but then again we don't eat 24/7;)

$778 is not a good price. $603 is not unheard of, mine was lower. Don't know how long you have been cruising, but these are not fantastic prices.

I think these are incredible prices for a D2, though the time of year definitely has an impact on how low you can get them. I certainly remember paying the equivalent of $80-100 per day for an inside cabin...

Actually, RCL is drastically slashing the fares including the Mariner. There have been recent thread on here with people booking at $299 pp for an inside. For 7 days, I don't know where you can go for $299 that includes hotel, food and entertainment! Yes, they are filling the ships, but it takes drastic cuts like these to do so. On our upcoming Mariner cruise, I bought a D2 at $778 pp, and finally had it go down to $603! That' pretty much unheard of, and they were even offering balcony guarantees for $497

Not all fares are slashed. We've been considering the Mariner for the Jan 31st cruise (due to a birthday celebration) for the last 6 months and the prices have not budged a penny: cheapest interior = $443; cheapest ocean view = $580; cheapest balcony = $669; D2 balcony = $849. These don't seem like drastic price cutting measures to me!

Makes me wonder why a cruise a week or two earlier or later would have much cheaper fares than another.

Makes me wonder why a cruise a week or two earlier or later would have much cheaper fares than another.

Simple - supply and demand.

We are cruising the week after Thanksgiving - historically, a very "cheap" week. We have a JS at $899 pp (that includes our Diamond discount.) As a comparison, we usually pay anywhere from $1199 to 1499 pp for the identical cabin - on previous cruises and on future cruises we have reserved.

I once nabbed a Grand Suite for only $100 more pp than a JS. Obviously they had healthy sales of JS but no one was booking GS. The rates are definitely fluid depending on the sales in each category and each sailing.

We are trying RCCL this spring for the first time. We are taking Mariner of the Seas Mexican Riveria.

We booked it because it was dirt cheap. We cannot imagine getting food and accomadation for 7 days for only $569 ( what we paid)pp on any other vacation.

We have cruised Carnival and Princess before, and we LOVED Princess,, we loved the food, the pizza , the pools etc. .. we really hope we will not be too let down on RCCL,, BUT we do expect to find it a little less then what we are used to on Princess, because, we are PAYING alot less then Princess. Seems fair. Hopefully if we keep our attitudes adjusted we will be able to enjoy what we get.

Not all fares are slashed. We've been considering the Mariner for the Jan 31st cruise (due to a birthday celebration) for the last 6 months and the prices have not budged a penny: cheapest interior = $443; cheapest ocean view = $580; cheapest balcony = $669; D2 balcony = $849. These don't seem like drastic price cutting measures to me!

I'll trade you - cheapest balcony on my June sailing, same itinerary is $933 - and that after a big reduction from $1249! I know, I know, that's what I get for going in the 'peak' season.

Archived