Best Mexican Restaurant in San Pedro?

mycruz

I love, love, love good Mexican and have heard several people mention a good one in San Pedro but not any names? Does anyone have recommendations for good Mexican restaurants, with names? We're staying at the Doubletree so anything in that area would be preferred.

Well from the Doubletree in San Pedro, you need to either

get the Doubletree van to drive you to Downtown San Pedro (near the Crowne Plaza)...

or walk to 22nd street and take the Red Trolley to downtown...

From there:

For smaller, really family feel (with the service) Mexican:

http://green-onion.com/

For a "chain" restaurant, but better views of the water and ships:

http://www.acapulcorestaurants.com/

Both are good for different reasons.

If you decide on Acapulco, then be sure to order the tableside fresh made quacamole to get the best experience.

:cool:

Thank you so much, of the two, the Green Onion looks like my first choice right now. We'll have a car so transportation won't be an issue, do like the info about the trolly though.

Now I've just got to figure out how I'm going to have Mexican and visit the closest Claim Jumper in one day! Looks like Mexican for lunch and Claim Jumper for dinner!:eek:

Thanks again, Mary

"Good Mexican food" is like saying "Good Pizza" or good anything else--it depednds a lot on what you grew up with, what you are accustomed to...and, also remember, Mexican food is "regional"...What we have here in California is fairly regionalized Mexican food--it's not what you find in most of Mexico...It's really "CalMex"...Flour tortillas (most of Mexico has only corn tortillas), burritos, fish tacos, flour tortilla enchiladas...Of course, because we are also big on exporting our cuisine, we have spread this style of Mexican food to most of the US...

A lot of locals eschew the chain Mexican restaurants in favor of the local mom and pop places...I will eat at Acapulco or El Torito...though I know the best burrito in LA can be found at Manuel's El Tepeyac at Winter and Evergreen in the heart of the Barrio in Boyle Heights...unfortunately, that's way too far to drive...

And, of course, most people are not accustomed to the local joints and really want the "sanitized" version of Mexican food found at the chains...

That said, I don't really think you would be unhappy with either of the recommended places...I usually recommend Acapulco in San Pedro due in large part to the location--right on the waterfront with views of ships passing by...Stop by for Margaritas at about 5-6 on a Saturday or Sunday and you can wave bon voyage to one of the cruise ships...

As far as Claim Jumper goes, here is your nearest two:

This one is about a 14 mile drive in each direction from your hotel...You need to cross the Vincent Thomas Bridge and travel by city streets clear across to the Eastern edge of Long Beach:

LONG BEACH

6501 E Pacific Coast Highway

(562)431-1321

This one is a little closer and easier to reach--9 to 9.5 miles depending on whether you take Western Avenue or the 110 Freeway (exit at PCH, go west)...

TORRANCE

24301 Crenshaw Blvd.

(310) 517-1874

Have fun...

Bruin, you're so right about the differences in Mexican food. I've found the local mom and pop's to be the best. I prefer them over chains and the family owned are usually better values. Having had tried mexican foods in many different places, California and Texas have some of the better that I've tried.

I knew I would get some great recommendations from my CC pals. Thanks!

The food is good but as it has been said..

it depends on what your use to. We've eaten

there twice and will again in Nov.

The best part is, if your staying at the

Crowne Plaza..it's right across the street.

You don't need a car or use the hotel van.

Can just walk to it.

Archived