Abandoned by HAL

pingsplace

I was on the Dec.11-22/04 Massdam 11 night cruise to the Caribbean.We had a great time and everything went smoothly except for the late arrival part of the ship due to the 5th engine breaking down twice. We missed our flight but was re-booked for Dec. 23. We arrived at the arrived at the airport at 4 a.m. in the morning and was told the flight was cancelled due to the snowstorm.

The airline told that it looks like someone is working on a new flight for me and he printed out what I thought was my tickets. Arrived at the airport on Dec. 24 and was told that the tickets are not actually tickets but just an itinerary. The airline told me that Holland America failed to send them the e-ticket! I was told that all I had to do was call Holland America and Holland America would just simply e-ticket the airline. They said the procedure would only take a few seconds b/c I already had seats assigned. Unfortunately, I tried calling HAL and was on hold for the "next operator" for 4 + hours. I tried calling the other HAL tel. numbers and left messages. From Dec. 24 to today's date, Jan. 4, they have not returned my phone calls.

The airline told me there was no flight until Dec. 27 and the cost of tickets would be $1500 per person x 3 = $4500!!!! They told me my other choice was to drive from Virginia to Boston for cheaper tickets. I rented a car and drove 10 hours to Boston.On Dec. 26 I was successfull in booking airline tickets on Expedia for the 3 of us to go home for Dec. 31. I kept calling HAL in Boston, but no returned calls.

My 12 day cruise became a 21 day adventure!

I had a great time but I think I should have been reimbursed for some of my extra expenses due to the fact that my calls were not returned and the fact that I felt abandoned by HAL. I bought the cruise/plane tickets through HAL. I spent $3000 to buy winter clothes, car rental, lodging, food, plane tickets, etc....

What do you think I should do?

Has this happened to anyone one else?

Has anyone asked HAL for some reimbursement and what was the result?

Thanks to any advice.:mad::mad:

I agree with you, you should most definately get reimbursed for all that trouble that you had to go through.

I am not aware of HAL having an office in Boston, they are located in Seattle, did I mis-understand your statement?????

I would certainly send a certified letter to HAL and tell them exactly what went on along with making some phone calls until I received a satisfactory answer.

I am sorry for what happened to you, I hope you get reimbursed.

I am so sorry to learn of your delay-disaster. It is bad enough

when Mother Nature disrupts travel plans.....but it sounds

as though HAL contributed here. I suspect that the 'front

office' needs some retraining of personnel.

I would definitely call the office and keep demanding to speak to higher ups in the chain of command until you find someone who can handle this. That type of treatment is inexcusable and would be enough to have me looking at other cruiselines!!

Keep us posted on how you come along.

pingsplace

Where are you from? I can't believe that you had to drive from Norfolk to Boston to get a flight home. There are quite a few airports between the 2 cities.

Did you have travel insurance? If so, it might take care of some of your expenses.

Hope you kept receipts for everything.

Unfortuately it does sound like HAL dropped the ball here.:( But to add to all the problems almost everyone on the East Coast was also stranded in airports because of weather and airline computor problems. Then with being a Holiday weekend:eek: I would definitely keeping calling, and try to speak to the highest authority you can get to. Then I would also send a certified letter. Because HAL made your arrangements they are partically to blame. I am sure if it was only the delay of the ship any other time of the year HAL would of handled it with out a problem. At least there is a possible recourse from HAL if you had not booked thru them I am sure exactly the same thing would of happened due to everyone else having the same problem in the airports.

This just makes me sick ... HAL failed BIG TIME on this one, and they SHOULD be held accountable to THEIR obligation. When you purchase HAL air, it includes several guarantees. And, the least of one's problems should be the issue of administrative SNAFUs.

I, too, am curious as to where pingsplace's calls home. Given the LENGTH OF TIME which was involved, had I been stranded in VA and given the only option to drive to Boston and fly, I would have rented that car just driven HOME. And I live in Texas. Of course ... in pingsplace lives in Europe, that would be a little bit of a problem. :)

This just makes me sick ... HAL failed BIG TIME on this one, and they SHOULD be held accountable to THEIR obligation. When you purchase HAL air, it includes several guarantees. And, the least of one's problems should be the issue of administrative SNAFUs.

I, too, am curious as to where pingsplace's calls home. Given the LENGTH OF TIME which was involved, had I been stranded in VA and given the only option to drive to Boston and fly, I would have rented that car just driven HOME. And I live in Texas. Of course ... in pingsplace lives in Europe, that would be a little bit of a problem. :)

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. The flight from Virginia to Vancouver would take 13 hours b/c the plane would fly down to Texas plus another connecting flight somewhere (I don't remember) and back up to Vancouver. The airline suggested Boston b/c there are more flights there and is cheaper. The flight from Boston to Vancouver is 8 hours.

Thank you all for replying. I'm going work on this right away.

Is there some reason why you posted the exact same message twice (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=2687706&postcount=12), approx. 12 hours apart?

That just makes twice as much work for everyone trying to read the replies....

-dave

Sorry. I'm still relatively new to this. I thought I might get some new suggestions with this new thread.:rolleyes:

I am not clear why they did not put you on those assigned seats even if you did not have tickets. Could they not just print them on site? I never obtain my tickets until I arrive at the airport and have them printed out for me either in the terminal displays/ machine or by the agents. If I do have tickets, they are usually wrong anyway and new one are always printed out on the same day of my travels. If these were already paid... what was the problem? It's puzzling.

Maybe it's only with AC here.

I thinks it's awful however that HAL could not respond to your enquiries when at the airport thus creating this disastrous return home.

Josée

I agree with you, you should most definately get reimbursed for all that trouble that you had to go through.

I am not aware of HAL having an office in Boston, they are located in Seattle, did I mis-understand your statement?????

I would certainly send a certified letter to HAL and tell them exactly what went on along with making some phone calls until I received a satisfactory answer.

I am sorry for what happened to you, I hope you get reimbursed.

[B]pingsplace ....[/b] DITTO above!

Please let all of us know about the response from HAL!

When first posted, I wondered the same as Josee as to why a person would actually need a paper e-ticket?? As long as you can identify yourself, why would not the airline issue the boarding pass and allow you to board?? HAL may very well disclaim any liability saying that the airline should have allowed the pax to board.

Tickets get lost. Am sure people show up at the pier w/o cruise tickets left at home, but identify themselves and allowed to board. Of course, better have your passport or birth certificate.

Did the OP take up the issue with an airline supervisor??

A complicated case, to be sure. Good luck.....

When first posted, I wondered the same as Josee as to why a person would actually need a paper e-ticket?? As long as you can identify yourself, why would not the airline issue the boarding pass and allow you to board?? HAL may very well disclaim any liability saying that the airline should have allowed the pax to board.

Tickets get lost. Am sure people show up at the pier w/o cruise tickets left at home, but identify themselves and allowed to board. Of course, better have your passport or birth certificate.

Did the OP take up the issue with an airline supervisor??

A complicated case, to be sure. Good luck.....

I was at the airport and very distressed. I was at the United Airline counter and they told me to go see Continental Airline b/c I originally flew Continental. Continental Airline said go back to United b/c my name is on United. I went back to United and they said, "Yup there's a booking but no ticket. Go call HAL". I never thought to talk to the airline supervisor at the airport but that's a good idea to keep in mind. Thanks.

Has your call been returned yet?? ( I dont remember seeing an answer for that)

Sorry to hear about your problem, its a long way from home and the last thing you want to happen. Good thing, you are only a 2 hour drive to Seattle HALS head office:D

Has your call been returned yet?? ( I dont remember seeing an answer for that)

Sorry to hear about your problem, its a long way from home and the last thing you want to happen. Good thing, you are only a 2 hour drive to Seattle HALS head office:D

I haven't called them since I came back. I have just drafted a letter and will be enclosing all my plane tickets and send it off tomorrow morning.

I read from another thread of 4 weeks ago, a passenger wrote a complaint letter to HAL and is still waiting to hear from them. Unfortunately, I can't find that thread now.

Yes, if the issues can't be resolved, I could easily drive the 2 hours to see them. Heh, heh:rolleyes:

Sorry. I'm still relatively new to this. I thought I might get some new suggestions with this new thread.:rolleyes:

As long as everyone sticks to this thread it should be OK, but would hate for you to miss any good suggestions...

:) -dave

You know - I have actually encountered something similar when I traveled on business to WPB. My flights had been booked though our corporate travel agent and I was using e-tickets. My scheduled departure on Continental was cancelled.

Being that it was really important for me to get home that day - (DH had a dinner we were attending and he was getting an award and really wanted me there), I decided to do what ever was necessary to get home, even buy another ticket. I was told I could get a flight out of Miami that afternoon.

Took a limo to Miami (which was arranged by Continental) and got to the Delta desk only to find I could not check in - I needed the paper ticket from Continental. I slepped all my stuff all the way around the terminal (anyone who has been to Miami knows how much fun their terminal can be) and waited over 1 1/2 hours in the Continental line. The Continental ticket agent told me I did not need the paper ticket - Delta was wrong. Back to Delta I go, luckily the Delta agent recognized me and waved me over so I did not have to wait in line. She told me Continental was wrong and I had to go back.

By this time I am more than a little peeved. I still have time to make the flight, but can't check my bags because I have no ticket! The Delta agent even wrote a note to the Continental agent telling them why they needed the paper ticket - and off I went again. At Continental I waited again, though not as long. The Continental agent was really snippy, said I had to arrange the change thru my TA or buy a new ticket. It was ridiculous. They finally issued me a paper ticket for the flight, but only after I spoke to a supervisor.

Back at Delta, they took Continental's paper ticket and issued me one of their e-tickets for the flight out of Miami and back to Denver I went. It was a really frustrating experience - and it happened when e-tix were still not quite a popular.

It would be even more frustrating for someone who may not be a frequent traveler or someone unused to airline delays.

IMO, it is always important to understand your flights, ticket coding, options etc. in order to know what recourse you have when delays, missed flights, or other problems occur. This is one reason we choose to book our own air.

I feel really bad for Ping - worst case scenario, Ping should have been able to get a hold of someone at HAL and have them straighten the mess out before spending additional money to get home.

I am not clear why they did not put you on those assigned seats even if you did not have tickets. Could they not just print them on site? I never obtain my tickets until I arrive at the airport and have them printed out for me either in the terminal displays/ machine or by the agents. If I do have tickets, they are usually wrong anyway and new one are always printed out on the same day of my travels. If these were already paid... what was the problem? It's puzzling.
There's a difference between reservations, e-tickets, printed itinerary confirmations and boarding passes.

An airline may take a confirmed reservation for a flight, including allocating seats on the flight, without the travel agent (in this case the cruise line) having taken any money from the passenger or paid the airline any money. Once a reservation has been made, the travel agent or the airline can print a copy of the itinerary showing the confirmed flights and the seat allocations. So the fact that you have a piece of paper in your hand showing your flights and seats doesn't mean that the airline has had any money for the flights.

Traditionally, the point at which the flight was paid for was when a ticket was written. At that point, the travel agent is liable to pay the airline for the ticket, so the travel agent would obviously have taken money from the passenger by then (or have some credit arrangement with the passenger). When the passenger checked in for the flight, the ticket coupon would be exchanged for a boarding pass which would allow the passenger to board the aircraft.

There is a similar step that is taken with e-tickets. The travel agent still has to issue a ticket, even though that's electronic. At that point, an e-ticket record is created, which is the electronic version of the traditional paper ticket. It is at this point that the travel agent has to pay the airline for the flights. When the passenger checks in, the e-ticket coupon is electronically marked as used, and then a boarding pass is issued.

E-tickets don't get printed or re-printed at the airport - in fact they don't strictly get printed ever as they are electronic. Airports will normally only print boarding passes, or paper copies of e-ticket receipts (which are never valid as tickets themselves - the electronic record is the last word).

In the OP's case, it sounds like the cruise line didn't issue the e-ticket for the reservation it had already made. As the airline wasn't assured of getting any money from the cruise line unless and until an e-ticket is issued, you can understand why the airline wouldn't let the OP check in or board until payment had been made for the flight, even though a confirmed reservation had been made and the OP had a printed itinerary showing the reservation.

It really does sound like the cruise line stuffed up here, and then compounded it by being unavailable to sort out the problem when it was desperately needed. The relevant department could have issued an e-ticket in a matter of seconds if the OP could have reached them. Keep going at them!

Here's an update:

Vacations to Go emailed and told me that HAL never received any of my phone calls and wanted to a list of numbers that I called. I emailed VacToGo the telephone numbers that I had from the HAL travel docs.. These numbers are from my travel documents. How was I supposed to know that I should have packed the yellow/white pages with me on a cruise? I wouldn't have thought to carry VacToGo telephone numbers b/c it was only supposed to be a 11 night trip.

Another update:

I call Mastercard and they are going to write a letter to Holland America. If HAL does not respond, they will suspend payment to HAL pending an investigation. However, I must also write a letter to Continental and United airlines before they investigate.

I think that phrase is troublesome. If there is someone you should have called when in deep trouble, like your TA, or the correct phone contact at HAL, it may just be that HAL will be off the hook. To respond with "how was I supposed to know" won't cut it.....

I have a feeling that HAL's responsibility may have terminated at disembarkation. Reservations were made for the return flight. Mother nature caused that flight to cancelled, and things just got worse. HAL is most likely going to shift resposibility to the airlines. HAL brochures and web site are pretty specific disclaiming and resposibility due to airline disruptions and legally binding.

Wish you well on your persuit. Good luck......

Archived