Carnival Spirt vs R.C. Mariner of the Seas

SnowRider250

Any input on differences between the two lines and ships? Never really cruised before and am wondering which line would be better. We will be traveling with 4 kids (Ages 4,6,8,10) and the Carnival kids areas look pretty good. I have heard though that Carnival is more of a party line? Looking at Oct. 2010 departure.

The Carnival Spirit (2001) is about 86,000 tons and the Mariner of the Seas (2003) is about 138,500 tons. In this case ton refers to size (100 cubic feet) not weight. So the Mariner is about 60% bigger than the Spirit. Also, the two go to completely different ports. The Spirit goes to Acapulco, Zihuatanejo/Ixtapa and Manzanillo. The Mariner goes to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan & Cabo. Also, the Spirit cruise is an eight night cruise while the Mariner is a seven night cruise. The Spirit leaves from San Diego while the Mariner leaves from Los Angeles.

Carnival does have a seven night cruise to the same ports as the Mariner. The ship, the Carnival Splendor (2008) also leaves from Los Angeles (actually Long Beach). The Splendor is 112,000 tons.

The Spirit has three pools, one that can be covered (in case the weather turns bad) a kid's pool and a water slide. The Mariner has two pools, an inline skate track, a rock wall and an ice skating track.

For one week or longer cruises the two lines are very similar. Carnival's party reputation comes from its shorter weekend cruises.

I was on the Carnival Pride (a younger sister to the Spirit) taking the same route as the Mariner and I enjoyed it a lot. So much so that I have booked the Carnival Spirit for November 2010.

I was on the Mariner in June of this year. Here is a link to my review ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=55962

And here is a link to about 530 photos of the Mariner and the ports ...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573273143cjeyif

Here is a picture of the Carnival Spirit ...

Spirit.jpg

And here is a picture of the Mariner of the Seas ...

Mariner4x3.jpg

Any input on differences between the two lines and ships? Never really cruised before and am wondering which line would be better. We will be traveling with 4 kids (Ages 4,6,8,10) and the Carnival kids areas look pretty good. I have heard though that Carnival is more of a party line? Looking at Oct. 2010 departure.

No contest, MARINER is far better and your kids will love it. Royal Caribbean has the best kids program afloat, even better than Disney. The Mariner and her sister ships have more to do on them than any other ships and are spectacular! They appeal to all ages, but the kids in my family have been on all of the lines and they only want to go back on the Voyager & Freedom class ships (Mariner is a Voyager class ship).

Cuiser2.. Your trip report was GREAT,, so many details.. really enjoyed reading it. Loved your photos too, but didn't go through all of them as then I wouldn't need to take the cruise,, LOL . Thanks for posting your links.

PS I think you will really enjoy the Caribbean Princess, we have been on her twice, and loved it.

I have been on both ships. I prefer the Spirit for size and layout, but the Mariner is a beautiful ship (and much larger). I have only had teens on board each ship, but they were never bored on either. Our grown son used Camp Carnival on the Glory and loved the programs; our grandson was 2 at the time. I would go with price/itinerary to decide. The amenities are basically the same on both ships. Carnival's rep for being a party line is really inflated. A lot depends on time of year you are sailing. If you go during spring break you will see LOTS of young college aged kids having a great time on every ship in port!

The Spirit has three pools, one that can be covered (in case the weather turns bad) a kid's pool and a water slide. The Mariner has two pools, an inline skate track, a rock wall and an ice skating track.

Just one minor clarification on this....Mariner has 3 pools. Just, 2 of them are in the same area (side by side).

Okay, I forgot about the Solarium pool. That is supposed to be adults only.

It seems the Miracle had 4 pools. Two family pools, one adult pool and then the deck above the lido was another pool and slide- but the Spirit may be different-or my memory is faulty.

I do remember the Mariner of the Seas, on my cruise the pools were very full sea days-all 3-the solarium pool was the most crowded-just no children there. The 2 pools side by side were both small and at first glance I thought they were one pool. It would have been better in my mind-if the pool area had been one large pool without the wasted space of the walkway between the 2 pools, that could have been more pool space.

Anyway, on the Miracle, the pool area was full-for sure-but was not overcrowded, as it was on my Mariner of the Seas. My Mariner of the seas cruise had 3700 PAX-and my Miracle cruise had 2400 PAX. I have read posts from those who had been on the Miracle with 2800 PAX, and they said the same thing about the Miracle pool area as I had said about the Mariner of the seas. I do think it has to do much to do -with how full your particular cruise is.

It seems the Miracle had 4 pools. Two family pools, one adult pool and then the deck above the lido was another pool and slide- but the Spirit may be different-or my memory is faulty.

I included all. The three pools plus the kids pool. The one above the lido deck is the kids pool.

I do remember the Mariner of the Seas, on my cruise the pools were very full sea days-all 3-the solarium pool was the most crowded-just no children there. The 2 pools side by side were both small and at first glance I thought they were one pool. It would have been better in my mind-if the pool area had been one large pool without the wasted space of the walkway between the 2 pools, that could have been more pool space.

All pools get full on sea days (except in Alaska). All pools on ships are small. A 10x20x5 foot pool is holding about 60,000 pounds of water, and it is all sloshing around as the ship moves. Double the size of the pool and you double the weight of the water. Make two small pools and you can keep the weight in each pool down.

Anyway, on the Miracle, the pool area was full-for sure-but was not overcrowded, as it was on my Mariner of the Seas. My Mariner of the seas cruise had 3700 PAX-and my Miracle cruise had 2400 PAX. I have read posts from those who had been on the Miracle with 2800 PAX, and they said the same thing about the Miracle pool area as I had said about the Mariner of the seas. I do think it has to do much to do -with how full your particular cruise is.

The Miracle has three pools (plus a kids pool) just like the Mariner (except the Mariner does not have a separate kids pool - instead it has a fenced off section of the shallow end of one pool). So three pools each. However, the Mariner carries 50% more passengers, so the Mariner pools can get more crowded.

Also, the Spirit class ships (Spirit, Pride, Miracle and Legend) have one pool that can be covered if the weather turns bad. None of the Mariner's pools can be covered.

[quote name=Cuizer2;21583560

All pools get full on sea days (except in Alaska). All pools on ships are small. A 10x20x5 foot pool is holding about 60' date='000 pounds of water, and it is all sloshing around as the ship moves. Double the size of the pool and you double the weight of the water. Make two small pools and you can keep the weight in each pool down.

[/quote]

I have been on 15 cruises-13 of these were in warm weather, 12 tropical, 1 semi tropical (Bermuda) areas-I know all about sea days and full pools-there is a difference between full and over crowded. That is what I was referring about the Mariner of the Seas.

I wasn't trying to contradict you-just adding my bit-my experiences on the 2 ships-one the same ship-the other the same class. As I had mentioned I was afraid I was remembering incorrectly-now I know why-it was a kiddie pool- and so I knew it would not be a pool I would use.

I did not know Carnival had a retractable cover-(maybe this is just the Spirit because it goes to Alaska? or does the Miracle have this?) but as MOS had the solarium pool it has a inside pool. doe snot help the kids out though I guess

I have been on 15 cruises-13 of these were in warm weather, 12 tropical, 1 semi tropical (Bermuda) areas-I know all about sea days and full pools-there is a difference between full and over crowded. That is what I was referring about the Mariner of the Seas.

I wasn't trying to contradict you-just adding my bit-my experiences on the 2 ships-one the same ship-the other the same class. As I had mentioned I was afraid I was remembering incorrectly-now I know why-it was a kiddie pool- and so I knew it would not be a pool I would use.

I did not know Carnival had a retractable cover-(maybe this is just the Spirit because it goes to Alaska? or does the Miracle have this?) but as MOS had the solarium pool it has a inside pool. doe snot help the kids out though I guess

Full and over crowded are the same to me, but I now see what you are trying to say.

All the Spirit (4), Conquest (5) and Destiny (3 - I am including the Victory and Triumph with the Destiny) have at least one pool that can be covered. On the Spirit class it is one of the central pools. On the others it is the rear pool. I'll see if I have any photographs ...

Here is the Spirit with the dome 3/4 closed ...

Carnival_Spirit.jpg

Here is the Glory with the dome over the rear pool closed ...

Pool-aft.jpg

and open ...

Pool-aftwithtopopen.jpg

Full and over crowded are the same to me, but I now see what you are trying to say.

All the Spirit (4), Conquest (5) and Destiny (3 - I am including the Victory and Triumph with the Destiny) have at least one pool that can be covered. On the Spirit class it is one of the central pools. On the others it is the rear pool. I'll see if I have any photographs ...

Here is the Spirit with the dome 3/4 closed ...

Carnival_Spirit.jpg

Here is the Glory with the dome over the rear pool closed ...

Pool-aft.jpg

and open ...

Pool-aftwithtopopen.jpg

Over cowded is when people are elbowing each other in the pool -all the loungers are full and people have even spread towels on the floor in every available inch of space. There is a picture someone took in that thread of "honest description of a Carnival cruise," this was a carnival ship-but it looked very much as my Mariner of the Seas cruise did.

I don't mind full-I do mind over crowded.

Carnival Glory is not spirit class but conquest class. I am sure you are aware, so I do not understand why you keep using the Glory as a comparison.

Over cowded is when people are elbowing each other in the pool -all the loungers are full and people have even spread towels on the floor in every available inch of space. There is a picture someone took in that thread of "honest description of a Carnival cruise," this was a carnival ship-but it looked very much as my Mariner of the Seas cruise did.

I don't mind full-I do mind over crowded.

Carnival Glory is not spirit class but conquest class. I am sure you are aware, so I do not understand why you keep using the Glory as a comparison.

Sorry, I forgot the original was a comparison of the Spirit and Mariner. I did post a picture of the Spirit with its dome. I was trying to point out that other Carnival ships have a dome that opens and closes too. My mistake. :o

Sorry, I forgot the original was a comparison of the Spirit and Mariner. I did post a picture of the Spirit with its dome. I was trying to point out that other Carnival ships have a dome that opens and closes too. My mistake. :o

I brought up that thread for you-go and look for that post on the lido deck and the deck above, you will see what I mean by over crowded versus full. the perosn who posted it was dissing Carnival-but my Mariner of the seas cruise looked just like that.

I brought up that thread for you-go and look for that post on the lido deck and the deck above, you will see what I mean by over crowded versus full. the perosn who posted it was dissing Carnival-but my Mariner of the seas cruise looked just like that.

I know how crowded the pool will be before I book.

I am familiar with both of these ship classes. Staying on the subject of pool areas, I do not like how confined the pool areas are on Spirit Class. The area just feels closed in, and the pictures on this thread display exactly what I'm talking about. On Mariner, the pool areas are much more open.

Since this will be your 1st cruise, either ship/line will suit you just fine....they are more similar than different. Neither line is more of a "party" ship than you make it....sure...there will be partiers on both ships---you can participate or not, as you like! It won't affect you or your children. Both lines are very "family friendly"....whichever you choose, you will have a great time!

I have tried to reply to you nicely and you have taken issue with every reply I have made. So yes it appeared to me that I had upset you.

I do tend to be blunt in my answers, but I have not taken offense to any of your responses. If it appeared that I did then:

1) I can assure you I didn't

2) Again, I apologize. It was not my intent to convey such an impression.

Archived