Civ. to Rome by train - quick questions

neil5054

I've read the great posting on DIY to Rome but I have two questions: 1. how long a walk is it from the Vatican to S. Pietro station, and 2. for a 7pm sailing from Civitavecchia, what is the latest you can arrive back at the train station and get on board??

It's about three quarters of a mile from Piazza San Pietro to the San Pietro rail station, most of it relatively flat as I recall. You can determine how long it takes you to walk that distance, for myself, I'd allow a half hour just to be sure.

The key factor for your return decision is how late the shuttle bus will be running to bring you from the port entrance to your ship. Most ships want you back on at least a half hour before departure, or 6:30 in your case. Assuming the shuttle is running at least until 6:30, you'd want to be on a train that gets you to the station by 6:15, giving you time to walk to the port entrance. Of course, if the train winds up being a little late, you may be out of luck.

Using a random weekday next week as an example, you could take a 4:29 from Roma San Pietro that arrives in Civitavecchia at 5:17, or a 4:59 arriving at 5:57, or a 5:29 arriving at 6:15.

In July we took the 4:59 from RSP and were back on our ship for a 7 PM departure in plenty of time; however, I will say that our timing was greatly helped by the fact that a shuttle bus was waiting as we walked up and departed for the ship almost immediately after we got on.

I've read the great posting on DIY to Rome but I have two questions: 1. how long a walk is it from the Vatican to S. Pietro station, and 2. for a 7pm sailing from Civitavecchia, what is the latest you can arrive back at the train station and get on board??

#1) It was a bit of a walk. Can't remember how far, but we took the bus to the train station. Just asked the person in the souvenior shop how to get there.

#2) Need to be on train for ship by 4-4:30pm. Plan on being on the SECOND to last train that will get you to the port in time to catch your ship. That way if you miss that train, there is still one more.

The charts below list the trains from Termini and St. Peter's, two of the primary stations used by folks heading back to Civitavecchia. Do check your "scheduled date" on the Trenitalia webpage for EXACT schedules. And of course, there are fewer trains on Sundays.... And don't forget to check for strikes (Next one is scheduled for 11/07/2009)

Getting back to Civitavecchia, the train options for most days from Termini are as follows:

Departure Arrival Train #

15:39 ROMA TE 16:57 C.CCHIA #12244

16:09 ROMA TE 17:13 C.CCHIA #2344

16:39 ROMA TE 17:57 C.CCHIA #12246

17:09 ROMA TE 18:15 C.CCHIA #3262

17:14 ROMA TE 18:27 C.CCHIA #3264

You could leave from the St. Peter’s Area …. A short hike to the train station yields these trains

Departure Arrival Train #

15:29 ROS.PI 16:17 C.CCHIA 3260

15:59 ROS.PI 16:57 C.CCHIA 12244

16:29 ROS.PI 17:13 C.CCHIA 2344

16:59 ROS.PI 17:57 C.CCHIA 12246

17:29 RO S.PI 18:15 C.CCHIA 3262

17:35 RO S.PI 18:27 C.CCHIA 3264

For some more feedback on getting TO/FROM Civitavecchia, CLICK HERE!

To check on National Strikes info in Italy and links to strikes, CLICK HERE!

thanks for all of your replies. It makes it much easier to plan ahead.

If we are in port at 7am. Is walking all of the way to the station in Civitavecchia rather than waiting for the shuttle bus a dumb idea (that supposedly starts at 7:30)?

thanks for all of your replies. It makes it much easier to plan ahead.

If we are in port at 7am. Is walking all of the way to the station in Civitavecchia rather than waiting for the shuttle bus a dumb idea (that supposedly starts at 7:30)?

2009-MSC-FTS-11044.jpg

Well - it could be a very long way...

(9) is the port gate...

and if your ship is more at the end of the wave breaker or in the central part of the terminals...

it could be a very long long way...

But I do not think that the shuttle starts at 07.30 hrs... Once the ship allows to leave there are shuttles available. It could be that there are maybe only 3 vehicles in service and this could take longer time...

Regards,

HeinBloed

Actually, with the current security at Civitavecchia they will not let you walk inside the port from the area used by most of the large cruise ships. Most of the docking piers located close to the port entrance are reserved for the many ferries that routinely call at that port. We have always found the shuttle bus system at Civitavecchia to be very efficient (the best in Europe) and the price (free!) makes it a great deal.

Hank

Also keep in mind that if your ship is scheduled to dock (i.e., tie up) at 7:00 am, you likely won't be walking down the gangway at 7:01 am. There are certain formalities to be observed before the ship is cleared.

You are probably correct. thanks. your info is very appreciated

We got the 15.39 train from termini (which I felt was a little early at the time) and got back on board the ship at 17.30, an hour before we had to be. Which was fine for me, I would rather be early than late...

It was maybe a 10 min walk to the train station in civitavecchia from where the free shuttle bus lets you off...

I am looking at the following site to get an idea of train schedules from Civitavecchia to Rome on Oct 28th. When I select the 8:41 train it shows N/A for first and second class and that the train is not available for purchase. In fact, all but the 9:17 train is not available. Is this train sold out or just can't buy it on the site? Is this a local train purchase only?

www.trenitalia.com for Civitavecchia to Rome on Oct 28 2009

Wanting to find out before we leave the ship expecting to be able to get a train to Rome and find none are available.

Thanks!

Tickets for regional trains cannot be purchased on line.

There really is no reason to buy your ticket to Rome ahead of time anyway. They are quick and easy to buy at the station in Civitavecchia.

Also, if you are planning to go round trip and you'll be using any public transit in Rome, the one day BIRG ticket is a better deal. This ticket cannot be purchased on line but you can get it at the station from the ticket window or from the newsstand.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes it much easier for us.

Related question: Is there a specific place to buy tickets for the Hop on/Hop off bus in Rome or can you get them at any station the bus stops?

Looking forward to our first visit to Rome :)

Archived