Internet reliability on board?

familytrippers

We'll be on the Star to Antarctica in January and unfortunately have to be able to communicate / email with work regularly....

Anyone know how reliable internet is on board? Anyone tried connecting thru their blackberry ? Was one better than the other? Am trying to decide whether I need the Verizon service I have for mobile networking for my blackberry or can just get away with ship internet service? thanks!!

though we were down there a couple of years ago--there was no access for much of the trip. I would not count on it.

you should have seen the crowd when the tv would go in and out during the superbowl--you might want to rent a sat phone if access is crucial.

You can't even count on the internet working when you are sailing within the US. Last year we sailed Canada New England and had internet working 2 or 3 days out of the 7. Other cruises the internet worked the entire cruise. It can be pretty unpredictable anywhere, and we never count on it being available. That way we are are never disappointed.

Most internet satellites are in orbit over the equator.

When you get near the poles, the angle the satellite dish must maintain to get coverage is very steep.

The chances of atmospheric and physical interference are very high.

You shouldn't count on any reliable internet connection in that area - and should consider yourself lucky to get any at all.

When we crossed the Arctic on our Transatlantic it was spotty at times and generally slowish all the time. I imagine it's similar in the Antarctic.

I just went on to check my email to make sure there were no issues at home. What would normally take me about 1 minute or less to do at home (quick log on and scan of email messages), takes about 5+ minutes on the ship.

The internet is always questionable on any cruise. Rarely do you have connection every time you want it and especially the farther north or south you go. I have a few tips at my blog about using the internet on cruise ships that might be helpful but sounds like you already have that in hand.

Smooth sailing!

Karen

Thanks everyone for all the info...so I won't count on it....just keep my fingers crossed it works at least most days! I don't mind downloading messages,writing offline responses and sending all later...just want to be able to do that! :)

Just remember, to be able to do that you need to have a laptop. This cannot be done in the Internet Cafe.

Archived