Macaroni & Cheese?

PaulaW

Until about 1 - 1 1/2 years ago this recipe used to be part of HAL's Amuse in the Pinnacle Grill:

Grilled Prawn Bruschetta with Primavera Salsa

Serves 8

Ingredients:

1 baguette, sliced ¼ inch thick on the diagonal (about 24 slices)

24 prawns, peeled and de-veined

½ Garlic Herb Oil (see recipe below)

Kosher salt to taste

Primavera salsa (see recipe below)

½ cup basil, chiffonade

4 ounces parmigiano-reggiano cheese, shaved

Preparation:

1. Slice prawns in half lengthwise and slice bread

2. Place bread and prawns in a large bowl and toss lightly with Garlic Herb Oil to coat evenly

3. Grill prawns and bread, seasoning with Kosher salt, until prawns are just done and bread is nicely marked and toasted

4. Top bread with salsa mixture, divide evenly, placing about 2 pieces shrimp per slice

5. Shave parmesan over bruschetta

6. Arrange on plate and drizzle with Herbed Oil

Garlic Herb Oil:

Yield 1 cup

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1 cup extra virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced

1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced

Whisk all ingredients together well. Refrigerate and stir well before use.

Primavera Salsa:

Yield 2 cups

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

½ cup red onion, diced

1 tablespoon garlic, minced

1 cup fresh corn kernels

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

½ cup English cucumber, diced

1 cup tomato, diced

¼ cup celery, diced

¼ cup roasted red pepper, chopped

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Heat oil in sauce pan. Lightly saute onion, garlic and corn. Deglaze with balsamic vinegar. Place cucumber, tomato, celery, red pepper, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss in sautéed corn mixture and mix well.

Had requests for a few more today , which I have posted.

I had to do a little rearranging but got them all i:-)) http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Recipes/ I am still ooking for the delicious berry soups

Joanie

Joanie:

Are you going to post them here?

Thanks for your recipes, KK.

Joanie, I just took a look at your receipe site and thanks for adding that to your wonderful information. I've enjoyed this thread, thanks to OP for starting it! We are booked for the Panama Canal aboard the Zuiderdam this coming April 20, and I read much about the "Panama Rolls". Are they simmply the cinnamon rolls or something special for the Canal transit? Anyone .... ????

PS to Joanie, We live in Abq also, Paradise Hills to be exact. Marion

Joanie:

Are you going to post them here?

Thanks for your recipes, KK.

sail, I've posted them in my signature. Joanie's Cruise Critic Member's Favorite Recipes http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Recipes/

Should I ask the hosts to post the link as a sticky???

I agree Yonnie has some of the best recipes I've ever seen.!! And I belong to a lot of Recipe Book clubs.

Joanie

Thanks Yonnie, But I meant as a section on my web site, just like the HAL Staterooms/Cabins Pages.

That way no one would have to search, they can just click on a link in my signature.

Also, it would mean having it sectioned in a neat and orderly way like a cook book. No having to wade through a huge thread to search for a particular recipe.

As soon as I get it up and somewhat running I will let you know and you can look and tell me what you think.

Sorry not to have answered this ooned, but was updating the Nieuw Amsterdam pages with photos and Deck Layouts to make it easier for all. I am doing it with all the ships, but only have some of the ships done like the Nieuw Amsterdam, so far.

Joanie

I am just wondering where copy right issues come into play...

As for recipes in yoru site vs recipes on a CC board I think a CC board would have a wider audience snice not everybody would know to look for you and the link in your signature. ;)

sail, I've posted them in my signature. Joanie's Cruise Critic Member's Favorite Recipes http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Recipes/

Should I ask the hosts to post the link as a sticky???

I agree Yonnie has some of the best recipes I've ever seen.!! And I belong to a lot of Recipe Book clubs.

Joanie

That would not make them available to someone doing a CC search. If the recipes were posted here (those submitted by CC posters), someone doing a search months from now could find them here and not have to go to another site they may not wish to visit.

That's my only point.

I think CC'ers posting things to do with HAL should be anywhere else but should primarily be posted here. CC makes this site available to us and I personally don't think they should be left out of the loop and only provided a link through someone's signature.

JMHO.....

I am just wondering where copy right issues come into play...

As for recipes in yoru site vs recipes on a CC board I think a CC board would have a wider audience snice not everybody would know to look for you and the link in your signature. ;)

Yes, I also was wondering if there are copyright and legal issues ...

Yes, I also was wondering if there are copyright and legal issues ...

2 things

1. What are the worries of Copyrights when it comes to anyone posting a Recipe here on Cruise Critic?? Do any of you worry about that when you post a recipe from a cookbook, such as one of HAL's Chefs? Why is it only a concern when a fellow CC member tries to do something to make things easier for his/her fellow CC members?

2. I'd happily make the recipes a part of Cruise Critic. BUT this is not possible due to the layout of the forum. To make it easily reached by specific food groups: Meats, Poultry, Breads, etc., there would have to be on specific thread for each food category. AND to maintain that, someone would have to take the time to move the post to the right thread whenever someone who does not know where or how to post it in the right thread category posts a recipe in the wrong category.

3. I volunteer to do things to make it easier for my fellow CC members and I am reproached for it? Why? Fellow CC members post their Blogs and everyone raves, INCLUDING me! But no one reproaches them...Again I ask Why do I get the feeling that I am being reproached because I try to make things easy??

Joanie

2 things

1. What are the worries of Copyrights when it comes to anyone posting a Recipe here on Cruise Critic?? Do any of you worry about that when you post a recipe from a cookbook, such as one of HAL's Chefs? Why is it only a concern when a fellow CC member tries to do something to make things easier for his/her fellow CC members?

2. I'd happily make the recipes a part of Cruise Critic. BUT this is not possible due to the layout of the forum. To make it easily reached by specific food groups: Meats, Poultry, Breads, etc., there would have to be on specific thread for each food category. AND to maintain that, someone would have to take the time to move the post to the right thread whenever someone who does not know where or how to post it in the right thread category.

3. I volunteer to do things to make it easier for my fellow CC members and I am reproached for it? Why? Fellow CC members post their Blogs and everyone raves, INCLUDING me! But no one reproaches them...Again I ask Why do I get the feeling that I am being reproached because I try to make things easy??

Joanie

Joanie ... I posted a simple comment. I did not criticize you or your efforts, and I did not reproach you.

Joanie ... I posted a simple comment. I did not criticize you or your efforts, and I did not reproach you.

I was not singling out your post in particular, I apologize if it seemed that way.

When I respond to questions or other posts I tend to post to the one that pertains to the question or post the most.

I realize you were not reproaching me, but knee jerk reaction on my part hit quote instead of starting a new post.

I am sorry

Joanie

All the recipes that I have posted came from HAL -- they were on recipe cards given to everyone who entered the Culinary Arts Center.

There are tons of people who have these recipes and I can bet that they have passed them onto others.

I am not certain about copy rights -- maybe the hosts can help out here.

The Mac and Cheese I posted was a copy and paste from a previous post someone made on this forum.

The Chowder came from a HAL person... I have never found it in a published book or magazine etc. I looked in Rudi Sodamin's cookbooks and it is not in either.

2 things

2. I'd happily make the recipes a part of Cruise Critic. BUT this is not possible due to the layout of the forum. To make it easily reached by specific food groups: Meats, Poultry, Breads, etc., there would have to be on specific thread for each food category. AND to maintain that, someone would have to take the time to move the post to the right thread whenever someone who does not know where or how to post it in the right thread category posts a recipe in the wrong category.

Joanie

Joanie,

I posted my comment as an observation that I felt CC was being side-stepped and anyone coming to the CC HAL forum looking for recipes will not find them in a search if they have been by-passed to your domain. If they remain on CC HAL, a search would call them up at a future time but would not call up your link contained in your signature.

Speaking only for myself, I don't need them categorized. It isn't like there are thousands or even hundreds of them. We're talking maybe two or three dozen??

As to copyright, I believe there are some copyright issues with some recipes. I won't name him but there is a set of recipes perfected by a well known and published person that mimic recipes from many sources such as Applebees, Cheesecake Factory and the like. He does not permit them to be posted anywhere except by himself.

I have no idea about copyright law and don't pretend to have a clue and I didn't stay in 'that' hotel last night either. :) :D

Joanie, I just took a look at your receipe site and thanks for adding that to your wonderful information. I've enjoyed this thread, thanks to OP for starting it! We are booked for the Panama Canal aboard the Zuiderdam this coming April 20, and I read much about the "Panama Rolls". Are they simmply the cinnamon rolls or something special for the Canal transit? Anyone .... ????

PS to Joanie, We live in Abq also, Paradise Hills to be exact. Marion

Hey Wines60!!!!

I am looking for the Panama Buns that everyone is asking for. But have yet to find them. As soon as I do I will post it on the Breads page.

So Paradise Hills huh. WOW you are near by. We are just north of I-40 and 4 blocks north of Coors. Between Coors and Ladera Golf Course!! So we are only like 5-7 miles apart!

email me and I will send you my phone number and maybe we can meet for dinner someday soon.

Joanie

As you all may assume, copyrights can get fairly complicated. I am not a lawyer but I do have to stay current because of the business that I am in.

The Cliff Notes version is this. The listing of ingredients is not subject to, and cannot be copyrighted. Neither can the title. The description of the dish, the method of preparation and any other content that the author has included can be copyrighted. Using the Dishwasher Salmon recipe as an example for reasons that should be obvious if I do a good job with this posting, the salmon, salt, pepper and lemon juice is not the creative part but, the entire "Instruction Manual" and the anecdote of the problem with the dishwasher for the TV show are. A copyright is created on an elegible work as soon is it is put into a tangible form. Writing it down suffices.

The Copyright Office says it this way:

Mere listings of ingredients as in recipes, formulas, compounds, or prescriptions are not subject to copyright protection. However, when a recipe or formula is accompanied by substantial literary expression in the form of an explanation or directions, or when there is a combination of recipes, as in a cookbook, there may be a basis for copyright protection.

As a practical approach, including recipes that were passed out in the Culinary Center would technically run a foul of copyright but, it is unlikely that HAL would have a problem with it. They wouldn't pass them out if they were serious about protecting the exclusivity of what is actually their property.

I would not recommend copying recipes verbatim from the published cookbooks. A better approach would be to note that the recipe is in volume whatever if someone is looking for it. The source of the recipes should be fully attributed. If it was handed out in the Cullinary center, it should say that.

Sail7seas mentioned a recipe clone site that is a bit "protective". Keep in mind that someone claiming to have a copyright doesn't mean that it is actually valid. As you can see from the clip from the Copyright Office, his list of ingredients is not protected, while the preparation method that he describes is. Note that I am not suggesting that he doesn't have a valid claim, only that he cannot stretch the law to cover something that is not subject to protection just by claiming that it is.

Joanie, since you are including recipes beyond just those from HAL I would suggest that you mark the HAL ones in the indexes with an asterisk or "(HAL)" so that we can quickly know. I will probably look at most of them anyway but I am kind of a foodie. Nice work, btw.

Sorry to run this posting way longer than you probably wanted to read, if you got down to here.

lynn from San Jose

Joanie, since you are including recipes beyond just those from HAL I would suggest that you mark the HAL ones in the indexes with an asterisk or "(HAL)" so that we can quickly know. I will probably look at most of them anyway but I am kind of a foodie. Nice work, btw.

lynn from San Jose

Thank You sjclynn, I knew about the ingredients etc so was not worried about that. Heck that would be telling everyone in the world that they could not pass along a baked potatoe recipe from their great grandmother because it may be coated with a specific type of butter and/or salt and it would violate copyrights...

I will place an asterisk beside those from HAL!! Thanks for the suggestion.

Joanie

Archived