Booking through Celebrity vs. TA

emptynest1

If you book directly through Celebrity you have complete control over your reservation and if you have any questions or issues you can just call them and it will be resolved instantaneously. If you see a price reduction and call them you will get an e-mail with that adjusted price by the time you get off the phone.

If you book a cruise through a travel agent you give up the right to deal directly with the cruise line and are at the mercy of the travel agent. I know of many situations where someone saw a price reduction called the travel agent and by the time they got back the reduction was no longer in effect. Some travel agents also charge fees that the cruise line doesn't such as cancellation fees, fees to make changes, etc. They also have a due date for final payment that is earlier than the one for the cruise line.

Some people have a travel agent that they love and prefer to book that way but we started booking all of our cruises directly through the cruise line four years ago and prefer it hat way.

Even though there are travel agents who will give you an on board credit, because of other issues such as not responding in time to take advantage of a price reduction or a charge for a fee that the cruise line does not have, it might cost you more.

We prefer to be loyal to our travel agent. She will match or more likely beat ANY quote I can find elsewhere. She will also add large OBC's that the cruiseline won't. She is web-based.

If you decide to switch, make sure the TA will be available for phone calls and emails. (We have out TA's cell number in case of emergency on any of our trips booked with her.)

Make sure there is no charge if she has to call X to change to a lower rate. I read here that some TA's actually charge to make that phone call/s. :rolleyes: Or cancellation fees that might be above norm.

I would advise if people hunt for a "good" agent, then they should stick with them for the loyalty perks they offer to their regular clients. Cruisers who jump from TA to TA really aren't experiencing the service and pricing that they could get from a TA that knows them. Find an agent that you can relate to and show your appreciation with more business. It will pay off...for both of you.

I booked our Equinox cruise directly with Celebrity and then, like you, I wanted to see what my agent and others could offer, I sent to 4 different agents and got the same answer back, Mrs. ... you have the best price and I cannot add to that, however I'll be happy to take your booking.

Of course, I am keeping control of my booking myself. This may or surely is not the same on all cruise deals, but ours for Oct 2010 was excellent!

I only booked myself because we were just looking around on a Sunday night and booked it on a whim.:cool:

We have a fabulous TA that is online and ONLY does cruises and just happens to live in my town too, so we are friends.

My experiences with her are we always get the best cabins at the best prices, price reductions as soon as they happen--she monitors all of that, her vast cruising knowledge and the perks!!! On board credit--we have received $500 before, all of our gratuities paid while cruising in a suite, bottles of wine & champagne, spa treatments, specialty restaurant meals paid for, shore excursions etc.

She takes care of everything so I don't have to. I wouldn't do it myself ever again. I do all the research before I book a cruise & plan all the tours myself, but let her handle the cruise.

Very interesting. Today, for the first time, I booked directly with Celebrity.

Forf eleven years we have always booked with a very large travel agency with 24/7 service. The only problem I have had with this booking is that in order to print the invoice from Celebrity, you need adobe (whatever that is) which we do not have. However, there is a link that you can push, which I have done; and, so far all I see is a circle that keeps moving. I may direct that problem to the attention of my wife who is our resident computer guru.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I know this agent well as a friend, she has already mentioned that she will monitor price drops and automatically fix them. I already picked out the cabin so that is not an issue. Now, I will wait to see what kind of OBC she is willing to cough up.

This is a great place for info.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I know this agent well as a friend, she has already mentioned that she will monitor price drops and automatically fix them. I already picked out the cabin so that is not an issue. Now, I will wait to see what kind of OBC she is willing to cough up.

This is a great place for info.

Just so you know, your friend will be "coughing up" part of her commission...

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Five years ago we booked a Celebrity cruise through a travel agent. A few months later I went to the Celebrity website as if I was booking a new cruise, without the final step of paying for it, to see if the price went down, but the price had gone up substantially. I then received an e-mail from my travel agent confirming the cruise I went through the motions of booking on Celebrity's website with that higher price. At first when I called her to resolve the problem, she didn't realize that I had another cabin booked through her for that exact same cruise. It appears that some travel agents have cookies where they monitor their customer's activity on a cruise line's website.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Five years ago we booked a Celebrity cruise through a travel agent. A few months later I went to the Celebrity website as if I was booking a new cruise, without the final step of paying for it, to see if the price went down, but the price had gone up substantially. I then received an e-mail from my travel agent confirming the cruise I went through the motions of booking on Celebrity's website with that higher price. At first when I called her to resolve the problem, she didn't realize that I had another cabin booked through her for that exact same cruise. It appears that some travel agents have cookies where they monitor their customer's activity on a cruise line's website.

oooo that's creepy

No, Kelly, the guidelines do not permit asking about or recommending TAs

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information. "

I find that it helps to periodically review the Community Guidelines as a reminder of what we agreed to when we joined Cruise Critic.

This is a reply for Lynn who has the great TA. They seem very helpful and give brilliant prices.

Are we allowed to ask on CC the name of a good agent.

We are in the UK and always seem to pay more than people in th US

Further to Sheila's post, cruise lines often engage in "regional pricing," meaning that some deals are available only to residents of certain nations (or, for that matter, specific zip codes) and TA's will usually honor those limitations so that they won't lose the ability to book cruises for those lines.

For ideas on how to find a quality cruise agent who can service your requirements, whether a high street agent or a web agent, read this article:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

I have an agent in my town who ONLY does cruises. She is adorable and personable and helpful HOWEVER, I booked a 2009 cruise w/ her and paid $1500 and the cruise (x's website went down a few weeks later to $1300) and she didn't do ANYTHING about it. I was a little disappointed. $200 per person is a lot of money. I finally called Celebrity and they said I could have a much nicer cabin 3 floors higher for LESS money than I paid.

My agent said Celebrity offered me a $100 on board credit and they usually have a bottle of complimentary wine in the room which is nice but I think I may take all of my friends advice and book it myself next time through Celebrity or the cruise line directly.

I have an agent in my town who ONLY does cruises. She is adorable and personable and helpful HOWEVER, I booked a 2009 cruise w/ her and paid $1500 and the cruise (x's website went down a few weeks later to $1300) and she didn't do ANYTHING about it. I was a little disappointed. $200 per person is a lot of money. I finally called Celebrity and they said I could have a much nicer cabin 3 floors higher for LESS money than I paid.

My agent said Celebrity offered me a $100 on board credit and they usually have a bottle of complimentary wine in the room which is nice but I think I may take all of my friends advice and book it myself next time through Celebrity or the cruise line directly.

That is one of the biggest problems about booking with a travel agent. Some will contact the cruise line on your behalf to take advantage of a subsequent price reduction while other's wont. Then there are the ones who say they will but take so long to get back to you that the price reduction is no longer in effect.

When you book a cruise directly with the cruise line, all you have to do is call them to ask for that subsequent price reduction and you will receive an e-mail confirming that price adjustment by the time you get off the phone.

Most agents will not monitor the website to see when drops occur. That is YOUR responsibility, especially if it is a high volume agency. If you notified her with the drop, it was up to her to get the change. And in that case, if she didn't make the call to X, I would not use her "adorable" self again.

So the upshot of everything written on this thread so far?

If you are lucky enough to have a friendly and helpful TA, then a TA is the way to go. If not, then do it yourself. Try to get recommendations from friends.

It's a shame we can't say who we use here (although I understand why not), because I love my TA. If you look at my list of cruises below, she has booked us on every one since 2000; plus some other non-cruise trips.

I would prefer to book directly with the cruiseline, but every TA I have ever used has offerered us a substantial amount in OBC's and group discounts so for us a TA is the way to go. Why is it that the cruiselines don't give OBC's just for booking. I haven't had contact with my TA since I booked but then I really don't need to, the only thing the cruiseline will not discuss is financial information.

So the upshot of everything written on this thread so far?

If you are lucky enough to have a friendly and helpful TA, then a TA is the way to go. If not, then do it yourself. Try to get recommendations from friends.

It's a shame we can't say who we use here (although I understand why not), because I love my TA. If you look at my list of cruises below, she has booked us on every one since 2000; plus some other non-cruise trips.

Why is it that the cruiselines don't give OBC's just for booking.

I too have wondered this... it seems logical that they should extend it to those who book directly through them- no middle men involved, direct access to their guests... does anyone else have any insight as to why they don't offer anything to direct booking guests?

I assume it's because they don't want to undercut the TA's who they rely on for so much of their business, but that isn't fair to those who want full control over their vacations.

That is not true. They will deal with you and most are very helpful as some of them have worked for Celebrity for years and have toured many of their ships. They just do not discuss anything financial but they have answered all of my questions to my satisfaction and believe me, I have lots of questions as it's our first time sailing with this line. This particular TA approached me via an e mail, got me a great cabin location and honoured a large OBC that I had received online from another TA. So, all in, all, I felt I got a great deal as this category has now sold out.:):)

I have done it both ways but as late I just call the cruise line myself. I found it a bother as the cruise line will not deal with you if you have a TA.

I too have wondered this... it seems logical that they should extend it to those who book directly through them- no middle men involved, direct access to their guests... does anyone else have any insight as to why they don't offer anything to direct booking guests?

I assume it's because they don't want to undercut the TA's who they rely on for so much of their business, but that isn't fair to those who want full control over their vacations.

Because it actually costs them more for their own employees vs paying the small commission to the agency. Between payroll costs,benefits, training and the customer service involved, they would rather have the TA's book the cruises.

Archived