Cheap, clean hotel in Miami precruise

tinkerbell333

Tink, I will check with my friends tomorrow. It's too late to call them tonight. We went on the Dawn in January out of Miami. We stayed with friends who winter in Florida. Our traveling companions stayed at a Holiday Inn that was just a couple of miles from the port. From their large picture window, you could see the ships lined up in port! It was quite a lovely sight -- looking forward to boarding as they were! They did a lot of on-line checking and were pleased with the price, the on-line reviews and the amenities. Tomorrow, I'll ask what they remember and get back to you.

Can anyone recommend a cheap (and clean) hotel in Miami for two nights before cruise? I would like one that has shuttle from airport and to port. Thanks!!

It really depends on what time of year you are looking at as to how cheap you can get. We are going in January which unfortunately is peak season rates. We are probably going to stay pre cruise at the Holiday Inn POM for about $150.00ish (which is fairly cheap for that time of year).

You would have better luck if you posted over in the Florida which you will find after clicking on the east coast departures forum. Lots of info. there.:)

Tink, I will check with my friends tomorrow. It's too late to call them tonight. We went on the Dawn in January out of Miami. We stayed with friends who winter in Florida. Our traveling companions stayed at a Holiday Inn that was just a couple of miles from the port. From their large picture window, you could see the ships lined up in port! It was quite a lovely sight -- looking forward to boarding as they were! They did a lot of on-line checking and were pleased with the price, the on-line reviews and the amenities. Tomorrow, I'll ask what they remember and get back to you.

This sounds like the HI POM since they could see the ships but it is I think only about 4-5 blocks away. We stayed there last year and it was nice to see the ships in the a.m.

The other nice thing is that it is right across the street from the Bayside Market. It is a bunch of little stores and vendors with a variety of restaurants too. I can't remember most of them but we ate at Bubba Gumps and Chili's and there is a cuban restaurant that we ate breakfast at the morning before embarkation. It was reasonable price somewhere around $5-6 for breakfast.

Yes, that's definitely the one! I remember that my friends talked about walking to the Bayside Market. And I wanted to say in my original post that it seemed like walking distance to the ship, but I was afraid I was exaggerating.

Bayside Marketplace is a dump and you do not want to stay downtown. The Holiday Inn POM isn't the best hotel.

What dates are you traveling? Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are much better values for the dollar and have much more going on than just BM.

Can anyone recommend a cheap (and clean) hotel in Miami for two nights before cruise? I would like one that has shuttle from airport and to port. Thanks!!

No clue what "cheap" means to YOU, but Cheap, Clean, and Miami don't really go together well... Nice clean places in Miami are not necessarily "cheap" unless you're going in the off season or you get lucky on Priceline or Hotwire.

Only airport hotels have airport shuttles, and no decent "clean" hotels have port shuttles. Taxis are cheap and plentiful, shuttles are never a reason to book a hotel.

Bayside Marketplace is a dump and you do not want to stay downtown. The Holiday Inn POM isn't the best hotel.

What dates are you traveling? Coral Gables and Coconut Grove are much better values for the dollar and have much more going on than just BM.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion so I respectfully disagree when you say that Bayside Marketplace is a dump or at least it wasn't when we were there in January. I have seen others post since then that they liked it also. I will say that you do seem to know a lot about Miami so I do give you credit but I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in.

I am going to look at Coral Gables and Coconut Grove for the 3 days post cruise. What in your opinion would be a good place to look at? Any possibility that we could get a hotel 1/23-26 for somewhere close to $150 per night?

I am going to look at Coral Gables and Coconut Grove for the 3 days post cruise. What in your opinion would be a good place to look at? Any possibility that we could get a hotel 1/23-26 for somewhere close to $150 per night?

That time of year you're going to have to use Priceline or Hotwire for a decent hotel that cheap. Booking directly is coming up $250+ at anywhere nice.

As for Bayside... When you consider all of the wonderful shops and world class restaurants in Miami where you could shop and dine, spending time at Bayside would be one of my last choices. ;)

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion so I respectfully disagree when you say that Bayside Marketplace is a dump or at least it wasn't when we were there in January. I have seen others post since then that they liked it also. I will say that you do seem to know a lot about Miami so I do give you credit but I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in.

I don't think Bayside is "bad." I will occasionally eat lunch there if I'm in the area (Miami's anual book fair is held a block away). However, it wouldn't occur to me to recommend it to an out-of-town visitor. If I traveled to Seattle to begin a nice vacation and asked you to recommend an interesting local restaurant, I would be disappointed to wind up in a Bayside equivalent.

This sounds like the HI POM since they could see the ships but it is I think only about 4-5 blocks away. We stayed there last year and it was nice to see the ships in the a.m.

The other nice thing is that it is right across the street from the Bayside Market. It is a bunch of little stores and vendors with a variety of restaurants too. I can't remember most of them but we ate at Bubba Gumps and Chili's and there is a cuban restaurant that we ate breakfast at the morning before embarkation. It was reasonable price somewhere around $5-6 for breakfast.

Do you know if they'll let you park and leave your car there while you cruise?:)

Do you know if they'll let you park and leave your car there while you cruise?:)

No, they don't. The only hotels that do that are a few out by the airport in open unsecure lots. The safest place for your car is in the covered, secure parking garages at the port. With the high rate of car theft and break-ins in South Florida the savings isn't worth the risk.

The La Quinta East was a great place t0 stay for us. Very reasonable cost (less than $100. per night.) We left our car there FOR FREE for two weeks during a transatlatic cruise last April/May. Large clean room with queen size bed, microwave and a coffee maker with supplies. They have cameras at the front desk scanning the parking lot. We made sure to park near one of the cameras. No problems whatsoever. Also, the included breakfast and the port shuttle were great! We even took the complimentary shuttle back from the airport to the hotel on our return and the driver remembered us!

I was thinking of booking the Sofitel for my pre-cruise in May. The best rate I could find was $109.00. The reveiws are great.

Please let me know if this is a wise choice.:confused:

Many thanks!!

Sofitel is fine if you want an airport hotel.

The La Quinta East was a great place t0 stay for us. Very reasonable cost (less than $100. per night.) We left our car there FOR FREE for two weeks during a transatlatic cruise last April/May. Large clean room with queen size bed, microwave and a coffee maker with supplies. They have cameras at the front desk scanning the parking lot. We made sure to park near one of the cameras. No problems whatsoever. Also, the included breakfast and the port shuttle were great! We even took the complimentary shuttle back from the airport to the hotel on our return and the driver remembered us!

You were lucky, that's not a good area, and cameras are useless if no one's sitting there watching the monitors.

Comparing Bayside to other areas of Miami, it is a dump. People who just go to Miami, Bayside, and the port, have no idea what they are missing. Take a walk through Vizcaya or the Deering Estate at Old Cutler and then get back to me on Bayside.

That said, I'm a big fan of the Courtyard Marriott Coral Gables. There is also a pretty good Residence Inn in Coconut Grove.

We got the JW Marriott off Priceline 1 night precruise ($129, $154 w taxes). We were not planning on having a car (the car for < 1 day from FLL was costing more than the hotel room!). Are there things to do w/in walking distance or short cab ride or should we just plan to hang at the hotel and relax/rest? We are arriving early afternoon on a Sunday. TIA!!!

We got the JW Marriott off Priceline 1 night precruise ($129, $154 w taxes). We were not planning on having a car (the car for < 1 day from FLL was costing more than the hotel room!). Are there things to do w/in walking distance or short cab ride or should we just plan to hang at the hotel and relax/rest? We are arriving early afternoon on a Sunday. TIA!!!

JW Marriott is a very nice hotel. There's a Gordon Biersch and Mortons across the street and Mary Brickell Village is about 3 blocks away... http://www.marybrickellvillage.com/

Archived