Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

hi, Deb and all,

I'm now 5 weeks post retirement, and still in a state of euphoria, especially when i am still in bed and the sun is coming up. I haven't done a bit of the top-to-bottom house cleaning that i was sure i would do, but i have been swimming at the local indoor pool two or three days each week, and until the cold snap i was walking 3-5 mile each day.

i have been asked to work perdiem but have absolutely no incentive to return to nursing right now. my license is valid to 2016, but i think i like the idle life.

kathy

hi, Deb and all,

I'm now 5 weeks post retirement, and still in a state of euphoria, especially when i am still in bed and the sun is coming up. I haven't done a bit of the top-to-bottom house cleaning that i was sure i would do, but i have been swimming at the local indoor pool two or three days each week, and until the cold snap i was walking 3-5 mile each day.

i have been asked to work perdiem but have absolutely no incentive to return to nursing right now. my license is valid to 2016, but i think i like the idle life.

kathy

I totally agree. I feel like my "retirement" didn't start until September since I didn't work summers anyway -- but I did much of my graduate and post-graduate work then. But I can't believe how much I am enjoying my freedom. Snow is coming to PA on Wednesday and I don't care!! I won't have to leave my house at 6:00 am. And I leave for another cruise on Saturday. Retirement is great:). Katherine

Edited by Lady Hudson

I totally agree. I feel like my "retirement" didn't start until September since I didn't work summers anyway -- but I did much of my graduate and post-graduate work then. But I can't believe how much I am enjoying my freedom. Snow is coming to PA on Wednesday and I don't care!! I won't have to leave my house at 6:00 am. And I leave for another cruise on Saturday. Retirement is great:). Katherine

Good for you Katherine!!!

Deb

Humpday once again.:):) I have finally figured out retirement schedule. I have 5 hump days left...3 in December and 2 in January. After that I work the following 2 Fridays because I have to split my sick days up. Can't take more than 5 in a row without doctors excuse. Needless to say I will be celebrating after work on those 2 Fridays.

So1417028919984.jpg.61d12b80804029e1c6cd0149d6b7171b.jpg WHOOT WHOOT to all out there and have a happy and save THANKSGIVING!!!!:):):)

Deb

Hey all, still here, celebrating another Hump Day from beautiful Nampa ID, just west of Boise. We drove up yesterday to spend T-day w/ DW family. Nice weather for this time of year, 61 degrees was the high today. Should be gradually cooling down the next few days.

So, I didn't work this Hump Day, I too will work 3 HD's in Dec and 2 in Jan.

But looking at the calendar, working or not, I have 7 more Hump Days until the big day. Whoot Whoot!!

DH and I have been retired for 3 years... Can't believe that. We celebrated the retirement and our 40th anniversary with a 10-day "Walking Tour of Italy" combined with a 12 night Mediterranean cruise... It was our first and rather awesome.

The next year was a Caribbean cruise, then a trans-Atlantic... Followed by an Alaskan cruise this past July. I'm so ready to find the next!

God is good (always) and retirement has been fun.

Edited by Barb & Randy
Misspelling

Whoot Whoot, another Hump Day is upon us. Only 5 more Hump Days left for me. You may notice I have changed my avatar to better illustrate our increasing excitement as we approach retirement.

Great picture!!! Are y'all both retiring at the same time??? If so, that is great!!!:) I think I now have 4 hump days plus vacation days...WHOOT! WHOOOOOOT!!:D

Great picture!!! Are y'all both retiring at the same time??? If so, that is great!!!:) I think I now have 4 hump days plus vacation days...WHOOT! WHOOOOOOT!!:D

Yup, both of us are retiring same date. DW is a few years younger and will be taking a reduced benefit, but we have been planning since day 1 and have more than reached our financial targets, thus should be in good shape financially barring any worldwide meltdowns:eek:.

As of today, 47 more calendar days, 24 more work days, not including those "pesky" sick days that seem to crop up more frequently of late;).

Hello!! HAPPY HUMP DAY to all!! Three hump days left with the last hump day being my last working day, except for one day the following week. I have to split it because if you take 5 days of sick days you need a doctors excuse. Actually 15 and a half days left to work...which sounds too good to be true!!!! Adding my friendly humpday pals plus pic of my new puppy. One of my retirement presents to myself. Also have 2 cruises booked for another 2 presents to myself!!! HAPPY HAPPY!!!:)1418253514832.jpg.d1fa3f16795f0b9ea5ca348ace5d3f1d.jpg

Deb

1418253653687.jpg.8cb5f5ea4c9c702bfd287c4ec6b023bc.jpg

Hello!! HAPPY HUMP DAY to all!! Three hump days left with the last hump day being my last working day, except for one day the following week. I have to split it because if you take 5 days of sick days you need a doctors excuse. Actually 15 and a half days left to work...which sounds too good to be true!!!! Adding my friendly humpday pals plus pic of my new puppy. One of my retirement presents to myself. Also have 2 cruises booked for another 2 presents to myself!!! HAPPY HAPPY!!!:)[ATTACH]333564[/ATTACH]

Deb

Where are you going on your next two cruises? Kevin and I are actually doing two cruises this year. At Easter, we are going on the Quantum before it leaves the US. We will be diamond after that cruise. We can drive or take a bus to New Jersey. At the end of July we are going to see our new grandchild in San Antonio. We thought that since we already paid airfare, we could cruise out of Galveston which we have not done for years. We got a wonderful rate a few weeks ago.

Where are you going on your next two cruises? Kevin and I are actually doing two cruises this year. At Easter, we are going on the Quantum before it leaves the US. We will be diamond after that cruise. We can drive or take a bus to New Jersey. At the end of July we are going to see our new grandchild in San Antonio. We thought that since we already paid airfare, we could cruise out of Galveston which we have not done for years. We got a wonderful rate a few weeks ago.

Good for you!! We are going out of New Orleans on the 28th of this month so we will be celebrating New Years on the NCL Dawn. (Pre-retirement cruise) In March we will be leaving out on Miami for a 10 day cruise on the Pearl.(Retirement cruise) Going to 4 islands we have never been to before in South Caribbean. Janice is actually retiring also but plans to do DROP for awhile. She just hasn't decided how long she will do it for. I'm sure you are looking forward to the Christmas holiday. I am!!!

Deb

Good for you!! We are going out of New Orleans on the 28th of this month so we will be celebrating New Years on the NCL Dawn. (Pre-retirement cruise) In March we will be leaving out on Miami for a 10 day cruise on the Pearl.(Retirement cruise) Going to 4 islands we have never been to before in South Caribbean. Janice is actually retiring also but plans to do DROP for awhile. She just hasn't decided how long she will do it for. I'm sure you are looking forward to the Christmas holiday. I am!!!

Deb

Actually, I am getting a little surgery over the holidays. I have had a problems with varicose veins for my whole life. This is the fourth time that I have had to do some work on them. I did some in the summer but I have 4 more visits over the holidays. So I will just be taking it easy. Glad I have two weeks.

Puppy is cute! Not so much Mr. Camel:(

Puppy is a tiny toy poodle. She is 2 months old and weighs in at one and a half pounds.

She is definitely cuter than any camel I have seen....lol...but I am enjoying the humps on their backs...Wednesday by Wednesday.;);)

Deb

Edited by zlacruising

Actually, I am getting a little surgery over the holidays. I have had a problems with varicose veins for my whole life. This is the fourth time that I have had to do some work on them. I did some in the summer but I have 4 more visits over the holidays. So I will just be taking it easy. Glad I have two weeks.

Yes you need to take it easy!! I heard that is a bit painful and I know you are probably standing up most of the day.

Deb

Tahoehc....you missed last hump day. Are you on vacation???

Deb

Unfortunately no vacay, been using sick days for......get this......actually being sick:(:mad:. Came down with the flu, been out of the office, offline, and in bed for the better part of 3 days...sleep, sleep, sleep....starting last Wednesday, so missed last week's Hump Day:mad::(. Today is my 1st day back to work, wife and kid still at home sick, but they seemed to have turned the corner. Hopefully we got that out of the way before the holidays and nothing else shows up. Yuck!!

So, the Good Lord will'n and the creek don't rise, I'll be back tomorrow to celebrate ticking off one more Hump Day. 35 more calendar days, 16 more work days 'til...........

Edited by tahoemc