Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

Whoot Hootttt

I use the rest of my vacation days tomorrow, friday, monday, tuesday and return to work my 10 day notice October 1 to 14, to begin my retirement wednesday Oct 15.

soo

officially, TWO more Hump Days for ME!!!!

kathy

happy dancing

HAPPY DANCING FOR YOU!!! Super close!!!

Deb

You need to join in with our humpday countdowns. A world cruise sounds awesome. I'm going on a 10 day cruise when I retire and I thought that was cool...lol. How long will your cruise last???

Deb

Deb we will be gone for 108 days from Miami to Miami

I think I will want a conga line featuring everyone here in 55+. Thanks to all who post here. It is so wonderful to be amongst others who are anticipating the biggest change since my first real job.

I hope to still do volunteer work. We have grandchildren who are about to be born. We have a world cruise. I am sure I will miss my old job and the people who I have grown to care so much. Life ahead looks mighty wonderful. I am hoping lots more cruises and travel in our future.

100 days from today I cross the finish line to retirement!

I think I will want a conga line featuring everyone here in 55+. Thanks to all who post here. It is so wonderful to be amongst others who are anticipating the biggest change since my first real job.

I hope to still do volunteer work. We have grandchildren who are about to be born. We have a world cruise. I am sure I will miss my old job and the people who I have grown to care so much. Life ahead looks mighty wonderful. I am hoping lots more cruises and travel in our future.

100 days from today I cross the finish line to retirement!

Yeah, congrats to you, and have a great cruise on the Serenity. We're not too far behind you, 115 days til we cross that finish line.

As we get closer, it really is sinking in that this will be a huge change since I started working 44+ years ago. Hard to think of it in those terms.

I still have my countdown going, 97 days, but as it gets closer I'm starting to waver. Guess I'll follow through, check out the necessary paperwork, crunch the numbers and then decide if it will be worth it to stay on a little longer.

All major decisons in life take time and scrutiny, then just when you think you know what you want to do, something changes and you have doubts and second guesses.

Obviously the answer of when to retire is different for each of us, but starting by taking the time to analyze your situation is the wisest use of your time.

Personally I have loved my work and thought I'd happily work until 70. Then my employer changed some important aspects of my job and I thought I would go out at 66. Then when crunching the numbers i found that in my situation going out now made a minimal difference in annual income over retiring in January, moving my dates forward to October. A combination of work environment changes and carefully looking at my ecenomic situation clarified the issue for me.

Lots of folks have found reasons to return to work after they reitred - my brother has retired 3 times so far, and at 72 this year says this is final this time.

So know you are not alone in wavering, but as with so many things in life, even when you make a final decision, there may still be surprises around the corner that lead to changing your mind.

It has been asked why one would sell their home and move. Well.... I have lived in my home for 34 years and worked at my current job the same 34 years. In spring I will sell, retire and move.

I live in Silicon Valley, an easy walk to Apple world headquarters. My house has appreciated wildly, which will give me a retirement that I never dreamed of but even more than that is the population change. Virtually everyone in my area is an engineer (husbands & wives both) and born & raised in other countries. They do not speak English at home. There is no sense of community at all.

I would like to find neighbors, community, book club and just plain people who speak my language and share my interests.

Retiring was the best decision we made. You'll have the freedom to cruise and travel without having to work it into your schedule. The hardest part though is the moving, but it looks like that might not be so bad for you.

Hope we cruise together again though.

Teri

Yes, I think retiring will be great. I just checked and I have about 58 days left, depending on how many vacation days I take. I'm looking forward to traveling and I have a new grandchild that will be born in November which I plan to spoil. So much more fun than your own kids....lol

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am looking forward to waking up when I feel like it and taking it easy. The job I have really wears me out. (I am sure it has something to do with my age...lol) But I will be able to control not overextending myself anymore. Just more nice things that are plusses for retirement.

Sort of funny, I never feel like that when I'm cruising. Lots of energy, but I do sleep late.;)

Deb

Edited by zlacruising

Just checking back in. I did my last minute cruise on Celebrity on 8/31, just got back from my retirement cruise on 9/20 (RCI) with girlfriends and preparing for a booked 10/16 trip on Cunard. As I continue to check in with friends still working, I know I made the right decision. And I am looking into becoming a travel agent, specializing in cruises, of course. Life is good!

Just checking back in. I did my last minute cruise on Celebrity on 8/31, just got back from my retirement cruise on 9/20 (RCI) with girlfriends and preparing for a booked 10/16 trip on Cunard. As I continue to check in with friends still working, I know I made the right decision. And I am looking into becoming a travel agent, specializing in cruises, of course. Life is good!

Cruising with girlfriends is the best!!!

Deb

Yes, I think retiring will be great. I just checked and I have about 58 days left, depending on how many vacation days I take. I'm looking forward to traveling and I have a new grandchild that will be born in November which I plan to spoil. So much more fun than your own kids....lol

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am looking forward to waking up when I feel like it and taking it easy. The job I have really wears me out. (I am sure it has something to do with my age...lol) But I will be able to control not overextending myself anymore. Just more nice things that are plusses for retirement.

Sort of funny, I never feel like that when I'm cruising. Lots of energy, but I do sleep late.;)

Deb

That's 58 working days, right?? I seem to recall you are retiring in January, same as us?? Either way, its soooo close. Whoot Whoot!!

That's 58 working days, right?? I seem to recall you are retiring in January, same as us?? Either way, its soooo close. Whoot Whoot!!

Yes, these are working days, but I have 4 weeks off during that time period, 1 for Thanksgiving, 2 for Christmas, and one for a "cruise I really need and couldn't pass up because of the price....lol". Besides that I have around 8 vacation days that I'm hoping not to use until the end of January. You are right..sooo close!!!!!:):)

Deb

Yes, these are working days, but I have 4 weeks off during that time period, 1 for Thanksgiving, 2 for Christmas, and one for a "cruise I really need and couldn't pass up because of the price....lol". Besides that I have around 8 vacation days that I'm hoping not to use until the end of January. You are right..sooo close!!!!!:):)

Deb

I like your thinking. If I'm doing my math right (help me out, your the teacher;)), it looks like I have 58 days as of today, to whit:

111 calendar days to Jan 19 less 32 weekend days less 7 holidays less 9 vacay days less 5 unpaid furlough days = 58 days:D. And this doesn't include any sick days that could happen, you know, vision problems ;).

That light is getting bigger each day. We will probably turn in our retirement app/papers sometime next week or the week after.

I like your thinking. If I'm doing my math right (help me out, your the teacher;)), it looks like I have 58 days as of today, to whit:

111 calendar days to Jan 19 less 32 weekend days less 7 holidays less 9 vacay days less 5 unpaid furlough days = 58 days:D. And this doesn't include any sick days that could happen, you know, vision problems ;).

That light is getting bigger each day. We will probably turn in our retirement app/papers sometime next week or the week after.

Eek!!! I don't even want to attempt that calculation, but I give you an A+ because it sounds right...lol. Yes..loving the light;)

Deb