Dress for Chops/Portofino on formal nights

Once in a while we go on a cruise and we don't take any formal wear with us. We always dine in Chops or Portofino on the formal nights. We still dress nicely, though, but just not in formal wear. My husband will wear a dress shirt and slacks and I wear a nice dress.

We did the same on our recent Freedom cruise. We dressed nicely but not formal. (ie: a tie -- no jacket in order to save luggage space.) The tie it turned out may not have been necessary as there was another table where a guy was sporting jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt. (This was at Chops.)

We are also among those that will opt for Portofino or Chops if we do not want to dress for formal night. We do follow the suggested attire of "dressy casual".

Having said that, we have seen all types of dress in the specialty venues on formal night.

We have seen tables of cruisers in tux's/suits and nice gowns. we have seen others - like us - in dressy casual. And then we have also seen polo shirts and dockers on guys and nice slacks and tops on ladies. Have never yet seen jeans or shorts but I am sure that is only a matter of time.... :rolleyes:

On formal night, I wore jeans and a polo shirt in Portofinos. Based on what others were wearing, I didn't feel out of place. Don't feel bullied by anyone who tells you that you must dress formally anywhere and everywhere on formal night. And the waiters in the MDR, of course, will tell you that you don't have to dress formally in the MDR even on formal night. Formal attire is suggested, not mandated. Evidently they understand people are on holiday, and that dressing up isn't everyone's idea of a great, relaxing holiday.

If you're concerned about being seated with anyone perpetually "overdressed", request a table for 2 in the MDR if you have a party for two. Worked for me. I switched exclusively to tables for 2 after having a bad experience with formally dressed tablemates who spent entire meals bragging about their small business success as well as their politics--something I find more distasteful at the dinner table than any form of dress.

We have been to both specialty restaurants on formal nights and have seen a few people dressed in tuxedos or suits, but most times men had on dress pants and a nice shirt. We haven't seen jeans in there nor have we seen shorts.

I'm sure we will go again in April and I don't expect that my husband will even wear a sports jacket. It will probably be a golf type shirt and dress pants. The suggestion is smart casual.

On formal night, I wore jeans and a polo shirt in Portofinos. Based on what others were wearing, I didn't feel out of place. Don't feel bullied by anyone who tells you that you must dress formally anywhere and everywhere on formal night. And the waiters in the MDR, of course, will tell you that you don't have to dress formally in the MDR even on formal night. Formal attire is suggested, not mandated. Evidently they understand people are on holiday, and that dressing up isn't everyone's idea of a great, relaxing holiday.

If you're concerned about being seated with anyone perpetually "overdressed", request a table for 2 in the MDR if you have a party for two. Worked for me. I switched exclusively to tables for 2 after having a bad experience with formally dressed tablemates who spent entire meals bragging about their small business success as well as their politics--something I find more distasteful at the dinner table than any form of dress.

I totally agree.

Thanks to all of you! When we sailed on the Radiance in 2002, we really dressed up: tux for him and gowns for me. Just don't want to do that again, so I thought we could escape it by going to Chops or Portofino instead. And we'll definitely ask for a table for two in the MDR as well. :)

The suggested dress for Chops/Portofino is always casual (maybe smart casual??), even on formal nights.

I just booked the Navigator and they gave me options for the specialty restaurants and this is what was stated about formal nights.

Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

I'm confused but that's nothing new.

Bill

Dress Suggestion

We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Bill, all that means is that formal wear will not be inappropriate, meaning you will not be overdressed on formal nights. The suggested attire is still smart casual though.

I just booked the Navigator and they gave me options for the specialty restaurants and this is what was stated about formal nights.

Dress Suggestion

I'm confused but that's nothing new.

Bill

The first two words of the paragraph explains it all...Dress Suggestion. Mandatory is not mentioned.

coffeebean

The first two words of the paragraph explains it all...Dress Suggestion. Mandatory is not mentioned.

coffeebean

I totally agree! Suggested is the key. I think it depends on the time of year and itinerary. For example, I just got back from a 4 night Enchantment to Mexico and wore nice linen pants and button down shirt- Tommy Bahama'ish. If I were on a cruise in the winter, or in the Med or Baltic or even Pacific I might throw on slacks and a jacket, perhaps a suit without tie.

Bottom line... to each his/her own. If someone wants to dress down when I'm dressed up, no problem. I expect the same in return.

Archived