FYI Scooters

I was on this cruise and found it on the M&M thread for this cruise. I'm glad we decided not to rent one of these and so terribly sorry for such a horrible incident to occur.

I just got back from a nice trip to Bermuda on the Grandeur of the Seas and I have to chime in on the scooter subject.

I am an experienced motorcycle rider and have been riding for years and I must say I would not recommend anyone rent a scooter if they are not comfortable on a scooter. The roads are narrow and and there are lot of blind spots where a accident could happen.

On the ship two young girls was in a scooter accident and one of the girls died and other one have to have surgery on her foot and she broke her arm, collar bone. The girl who survived was the driver and she said she has driven a scooter a couple of time and thought she was prepared to drive in Bermuda.

When I found out the passenger passed away I said a prayer for her family and the poor girl who was driving.

So please if someone wants to rent a scooter please make sure you are an experienced rider before doing so.

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,

Cruise Critic

DH and I have been going to Bermuda for years - probably 10 trips there. Up until a few years ago, we always rented scooters. But now, the traffic has gotten so much heavier with both locals and tourists - and the fact that Bermudians drive on the opposite side of the road vs. US drivers - that we now opt to get the bus/ferry pass for the days we're in port.

We, too, have been on cruises and known people who had terrible accidents. (most recently our Grandeur cruise last month) It is so tragic when what is supposed to be a wonderful experience turns into such a sad event. Don't take the chance...Public transportation is excellent and can get you just about anywhere you want to go. Stay safe and enjoy your trip.

So please if someone wants to rent a scooter please make sure you are an experienced rider before doing so.

I disagree.

Even an "experienced" rider may not be familiar with local conditions. In some countires, it is simply too dangerous, even for the initiated.

I personally would not rent one on Bermuda. We were going to rent one on our second day there but after taking a van tour of the island on our first day we decided not to. I felt so bad for the girl involved in the accident. She was in tears telling me about the accident. I could not imagine how she felt knowing she was the driver and was the cause of the accident.

She said she forgot for a split second that they drive on the left side of the road and she was on the wrong side of the street when the car hit them. :(

What surprised me was the girl that passed away was brought home on the ship. I have never been on a ship before and I did not know they have a morgue on the ship.

I personally would not rent one on Bermuda. We were going to rent one on our second day there but after taking a van tour of the island on our first day we decided not to. I felt so bad for the girl involved in the accident. She was in tears telling me about the accident. I could not imagine how she felt knowing she was the driver and was the cause of the accident.

She said she forgot for a split second that they drive on the left side of the road and she was on the wrong side of the street when the car hit them. :(

What surprised me was the girl that passed away was brought home on the ship. I have never been on a ship before and I did not know they have a morgue on the ship.

Every cruise ship has a morgue, with room for several bodies. (Rumor has it that HAL has the largest morgues. J/K :D)

I totally agree that renting a scooter for the uninitiated, especially where they drive on the left isn't something to do, but the traffic in Bermuda isn't any worse than other parts of the world. There are to many people who visit Bermuda & rent one for the first time of their lives and it's not the best time to learn how to ride with the locals ridding close behind. I will say that it's one of the most convenient & cheapest ways to get around the island but it's not for everyone. ;)

We've gone to Bermuda twice on cruises & twice people have been hurt on scooters. Luckily, no deaths, but both times the people left the cruise in wheelchairs. I don't mind taking the bus or ferry. You get to meet & talk to the very friendly locals. Even the children were very polite. Every person on the bus will tell you about their island & if you want to go some place, they'll tell you how to get there on the bus. I'd much rather do that than ride around on a scooter.

Archived