active toddler under 2 yrs old - will we be able to entertain her?

jw01

We are considering a cruise with our toddler. She would be 19 months and is extremely active and loves water and swimming. (not potty trained) I'm worried about entertaining her on the cruise. We are looking at Carnival who doesn't let un potty trained kids in the pool. I don't know that we could potty train her by then - at least not fully.

She is super busy and likes to be active. With three days at sea and three port days, I'm wondering if there will be enough for her to do.

Additionally, how does the sleeping work out? We would get a balcony so that we could sit on the balcony while she naps. Is there usually an alcove or something we could set the pack in play in? (Carnival Pride) We've only cruised with inside rooms.

Thanks!!

However you "entertain" your child at home (without a pool), do it on the ship, too!

For a child that age, that's about all you can do.

You can go swimming in the ocean, while in port--it doesn't matter about the "potty-trained" thing there!

at home we go to the park, have a lot of toys, ride in her cozy coupe and other cars, go visit neighbor dogs, slide in the back yard, play in her play house...

ship - explore, splash in the pool ... ??

We took coloring things for forced 'sitting' time (like pre-dinner) but also small toys, books, a stroller for walks, went to the show for music and flashy costumes, explored, etc. That was at 20 mos, so similar. She was REALLY into books then, so I brought a bunch of books, but also was allowed to "check out" books from AO (on RCL).

Take her into the kids club and play with her, bring your own inflated splash pool (example the duck at Target), stroll around the many shops and the promenade deck, bring your own toys and books from home. I don't think the issue will be your child having fun on the cruise, the issue will be whether you have a babysitter for times when you want to enjoy the cruise.

we too are cruising with our 19 month old very active toddler in jan. we bought a small blowup pool for her 5$ at walmart .you can go with her to camp carnival and play during certain times.you can also borrow toys from the camp.we are bringing crayons, portable dvd player,some toys. you can also use campcarnival from 10pm to 3am for babysitting for 6$an hr think we will use that once or twice so me and mommy can have some grown up time.my daughter is a people person so i know she will have fun just watchin and talking to everyone.and also we agreed one night my wife goes and does stuff she wants and the next is my turn.dont worry about it go have fun with your family.

At 19mo with my DD, we walked all over the ship. We would go to empty lounges during the day and let her play with a blow up beach ball. We brought the blow up duck bathtub and used it on deck as a pool and in the shower as her bathtub. We danced with the poolside band and attended the shows every night. She actually sat and watched the entire show. She was mezmerized by the lights, costumes, music and dancing. We used camp carnival on sea days from 12-2pm for baby sitting and once after 10pm. Mostly by 10pm we were exhausted since she gets up at 6:30 everyday. She is 4 now and is about to go on her 8th cruise. I would have to say 19mo was probably the hardest age we sailed with her. She was practicing walking up stairs so that is all she wanted to do! If you consider you will still have all the responsibility at home but away with someone cooking and cleaning for you, you will have a nice vacation.

Archived