Voyage 2004 Cape Town to Cape Town

kpercy

We have just been advised by Silversea that all passengers on this cruise will require a Yellow Fever Vaccination. This is because Mozambique is a port of call.

Any passenger without this certificate, we are further advised, will be denied boarding.

We are medically advised that this vaccine is safe but should only be administered to over 60`s if a serious infection risk occurs.

Yellow Fever is a serious and potentially fatal disease with no known cure.

So yet another jab beckons!!

I have gone to my local Passport Health office twice. Both times I got outstanding personalized service (including holding the office open for me as I drove from work to their location). Only drawback is that they are not cheap. Both times I was able to expense my immunizations since I was traveling for work.

We are on Voyage 2003 Cape Town to Cape Town January 23. The itinerary is identical to yours kpercy. We have not received any notification about Yellow Fever Vaccine. It is not a problem because we had the vaccine four weeks ago due to a cruise in South America we're taking next month. For the record, neither of us had any side effects- DH is 62, but certainly everyone should check with their doctors. We have the certificates of vaccination.

I would like to know why your later cruise was given this advice by Silversea, but we did not receive it. Could you please tell me how you received the communication? If it was to the travel agent, I have to make a phone call. Thanks so much

We are on Voyage 2003 Cape Town to Cape Town January 23. The itinerary is identical to yours kpercy. We have not received any notification about Yellow Fever Vaccine. It is not a problem because we had the vaccine four weeks ago due to a cruise in South America we're taking next month. For the record, neither of us had any side effects- DH is 62, but certainly everyone should check with their doctors. We have the certificates of vaccination.

I would like to know why your later cruise was given this advice by Silversea, but we did not receive it. Could you please tell me how you received the communication? If it was to the travel agent, I have to make a phone call. Thanks so much

Its direct from Silversea via my travel agent titled ` Important Notice`

dated 12.10.2009.

It states that Silverseas has been advised by the local authorities in Mozambique that a yellow fever vacination is now required to enter the country

Ring your travel agent but you should be ok. The letter does state that all guests must be in possession of the original certificate of vacination for Yellow Fever or boarding will be denied.

If you would like a faxed copy of my letter let me know

Its direct from Silversea via my travel agent titled ` Important Notice`

dated 12.10.2009.

It states that Silverseas has been advised by the local authorities in Mozambique that a yellow fever vacination is now required to enter the country

Ring your travel agent but you should be ok. The letter does state that all guests must be in possession of the original certificate of vacination for Yellow Fever or boarding will be denied.

If you would like a faxed copy of my letter let me know

Just to add that my GP`s practice is a licensed centre. He is reluctant to give the vaccine as he says Mozambique is not a risk area unless we were arriving from an infected area. Which we are not.

I tried to contact Silversea for clarification both by phone and email but no response yet. My TA tried on several occasions with no luck. Its also strange that passengers booked on the two previous trips have not received notification.

Thanks everyone. My agent just called Silversea and they confirmed that the yellow fever vaccine is necessary. No problem, we just had it a few weeks ago as I had mentioned previously. However, I think Silversea should be consistent in its communication for all affected voyages. Would hope that no one will be "left at the dock" due to lack of communication. It is always best to check the CDC on which shots are needed, but there are some gray areas.

Looking forward to the trip and wish everyone on the others voyages a great time also.

Thanks everyone. My agent just called Silversea and they confirmed that the yellow fever vaccine is necessary. No problem, we just had it a few weeks ago as I had mentioned previously. However, I think Silversea should be consistent in its communication for all affected voyages. Would hope that no one will be "left at the dock" due to lack of communication. It is always best to check the CDC on which shots are needed, but there are some gray areas.

Looking forward to the trip and wish everyone on the others voyages a great time also.

You are right on both key points.

Silversea or for that matter any cruise line should let the passenger's know if the Yellow Fever Vaccination is required. After all, they will be the ones that if it is required at the point of embarkation will collect the Yellow Fever Vaccination Card at the time they collect your passports. At the same time, there sometimes are gray areas when one is looking at the CDC web site.

I also think that the information should be provided as early in the process as possible for two reasons. For those who will be getting the Yellow Fever Vaccination it is nice to know sooner rather than later. And there will be some who for a variety of reasons will choose not to get it and that will provide sufficient time for them to decide whether or not they will take the cruise and if they can receive proper authorization from their physician that waives the need for them to obtain the vaccination.

I feel the same way about visa requirements. The sooner the information is provided the easier it is for everyone.

Over the years I have received two Yellow Fever Vaccinations. Most recently as part of a World Cruise in 2007 and we also have similar requirements for 2010. The good news is the vaccination I received for the 2007 Cruise is good until 2016.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Dear Kpercy,

We are also on your cruise Feb 02. This will be our second Silversea experience, so we will really be looking forward to it. Are you doing any extended travel before or after the cruise?

What part of the world are you from?

Nancy Roberts aka narob

Hi Nancy and kpercy,

I’ve booked Vista Suite 443. We will meet on board.

Am flying from San Francisco. Arrive morning of Feb 1st, so I’m just doing two days/one night Cape Town before, and then two days/one night Cape Town afterward.

Howsabout you?

Fred

Dear Coastside,

Nice hearing from you! How many flights do you take from San Francisco to Johannesburg?

We will be going to Cape Town indirectly. First we take a Fort Myers to Atlanta flight, then a 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Johannesburg where we stay overnight and then catch a morning flight to Windhoek, Namibia. Our guide meets us at the airport to start our 10 day Namibian safari (lodges and guesthouses--no tent camping, thanks, we've already done that) after which we spend two nights in Cape Town before catching the ship.

Happy Holidays!

Nancy and Dave Roberts

P.S. We have booked a private day safari on February 8th, where we have room for one or two others, if there is interest. Let us know and we can email you the details.

Dear Kpercy,

We are also on your cruise Feb 02. This will be our second Silversea experience, so we will really be looking forward to it. Are you doing any extended travel before or after the cruise?

What part of the world are you from?

Nancy Roberts aka narob

Hello Nancy.

Barbara and I are from the UK. We live near Lincoln. We fly to CPT via Joburg on the 1st of Feb. Staying at the Table Bay Hotel on the Waterfront but regrefully leave CPT the day the ship docks on the 12th Feb. We love Cape Town. Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Might meet up. BA strike permitting!!!

Dear kpercy,

Wonderful to hear from you! From what I understand, you have chosen a beautiful hotel in Cape Town to stay at.

If you haven't already booked a ship's tour for February 8th, we have room for a couple on our private one day safari. If you are interested in sharing, let us know, we can email you the details.

Hope you have a great cruise!!!!

Happy Holidays,

Nancy and Dave Roberts

Archived