Air Tickets, Cancel for any Reason Insurance ?

Jimbo

Any suggestions who has the best rates.

About to purchase Air Tickets to Anchorage. Would like some kind of insurance for Canceling Tickets for any reason and still getting money back if plans change.

One way tickets are $268 per person to Anchorage, sounds like a great price.

Even paying for insurance on top of that might still be a good deal.

Any suggestions what company to use?

Jimbo:)

About to purchase Air Tickets to Anchorage. Would like some kind of insurance for Canceling Tickets for any reason and still getting money back if plans change.

As a general rule, cancel for any reason insurance WILL NOT cover your air tickets. Why?? Air tickets are generally changeable (even a non refundable ticket) for a fee. The VALUE of the tickets is not lost, hence it is a "refundable" expense and not covered by insurance. 95% of travel insurance policies WILL cover the change fees.

And you REALLY need to read ALL the fine print in ANY travel insurance policy. A couple of the cancel for any reason policies DO NOT give you back all your money. Plus if you cancel your cruise and land arrangements BEFORE any penalties assess (cancellation fees), your air tickets will DEFINITELY not be covered except for change fees.

Don't know where your are flying from, but $268 is a decent price. Why are you buying a OW ticket??? I am currently in the process of booking my tickets for next summer's fish shipping season. Flying employees from Kansas City, Chicago, NY and PHX to ANC RT. Prices currently are averaging $520 RT, with NYC/Chicago being the cheapest and PHX being the most expensive (go figure).

You want an insurance company to provide coverage to reimburse your expenses for any reason you may give? That kind of coverage would likely cost you $300 for each $268 ticket you insure. :D

You want an insurance company to provide coverage to reimburse your expenses for any reason you may give? That kind of coverage would likely cost you $300 for each $268 ticket you insure. :D

It is about 40-45% upcharge for "cancel for any reason" insurance.

This site has insurance you can buy strictly for Air. I don't want to insure the rest of mt trip right now because I can cancel everything right now and get ALL my money back.

I just want the air tickets insurance.

The site I'm looking at is http://travelsafe.com/

I plug in the Trip Cost $268 and Trip Cost $268 and our ages 49 & 48 Tickets are one ways from Philadelphia to Anchorage, ship leaves from Whittier and we end up in Vancouver, most likely we will fly home from Seattle. Airfare should be much less from there.

and get 4 types of coverage and this is what I get.

100% refundable

Vacation $82 ONLY $40 more Cancel for any reason

50 % refundable

Custom $54 ONLY $20 more Cancel for any reason

100% refunable

Premier $166 Included

75% refundable

Elements Individual $66 ONLY $28 more Cancel for any reason

Now I'm just not sure which is the best. I would think the 100% refundable options would cover the entire cost of the airline ticket, By now you are telling me it would only cover the change fee per ticket, that is really not what I'm looking for.

The totals I mentioned above are for the both tickets together, so its either $122.00, $74.00, $166.00, $94.00.

Still confused:confused:

This site has insurance you can buy strictly for Air. I don't want to insure the rest of mt trip right now because I can cancel everything right now and get ALL my money back.

I just want the air tickets insurance.

The site I'm looking at is http://travelsafe.com/

I plug in the Trip Cost $268 and Trip Cost $268 and our ages 49 & 48 Tickets are one ways from Philadelphia to Anchorage, ship leaves from Whittier and we end up in Vancouver, most likely we will fly home from Seattle. Airfare should be much less from there.

and get 4 types of coverage and this is what I get.

100% refundable

Vacation $82 ONLY $40 more Cancel for any reason

50 % refundable

Custom $54 ONLY $20 more Cancel for any reason

100% refunable

Premier $166 Included

75% refundable

Elements Individual $66 ONLY $28 more Cancel for any reason

Now I'm just not sure which is the best. I would think the 100% refundable options would cover the entire cost of the airline ticket, By now you are telling me it would only cover the change fee per ticket, that is really not what I'm looking for.

The totals I mentioned above are for the both tickets together, so its either $122.00, $74.00, $166.00, $94.00.

Still confused:confused:

$268 is NOT your trip cost. It is your airfare cost.

Better read the fine print REALLY thoroughly. MOST travel insurance policies require you to cover ALL nonrefundable costs or they deny the claim. Travelsafe requires you to purchase the "cancel for any reason" policy within 15 days of INITIAL deposit (which you have already made with your cruise). I am a non practicing transportation attorney. I would deny your claim just on that basis and could justify the denial in court.

I don't think you are going to get what you want. And if you REALLY want and can get only air coverage with cancel for any reason, then at least include the return from YVR or SEA.

PS I just called TravelSafe because I didn't think it could be done. NO coverage for cancel for any reason if it has been more than 15 days from the FIRST deposit (doesn't matter if it was cruise, hotel, or whatever). They do allow you to insure JUST the air, BUT the policy only comes into effect for a covered reason-sickness, broken leg, jury duty, etc. There is a VERY long list of exceptions in the policy. Sorry

tell me then why on their website do they just have insurance for air listed? who would purchase that? do people just fly for the hell of it? and don't stay anywhere once they land?

I'm not trying to get insurance for the rest of the trip now, just the air portion..........

I don't think that would have anything to do with whatever else I have booked?

$268 is NOT your trip cost. It is your airfare cost. They don't have a box to just put in the air price

Better read the fine print REALLY thoroughly. MOST travel insurance policies require you to cover ALL nonrefundable costs or they deny the claim.

Well as of right now I haven't booked anything that isn't FULLY refundable so why would I buy insurance for that now?

When buying cruise insurance I always wait right before final payment is due so we know we are going definite. People who buy before then and cancel the trip before final payment are out their Trip Insurance Money, It isn't refundable.

For instance I have a deposit now on a cruise in 2011. Am I going to buy insurance now for it? No way our plans could change well before then and we would then be out the Trip Insurance Money.

tell me then why on their website do they just have insurance for air listed? who would purchase that? do people just fly for the hell of it? and don't stay anywhere once they land?

Quite a few people fly just for the hell of it. They are called mileage runs-find a really cheap price (like some of the $450 RT to Japan from LAX). Get on a plane, fly over, maybe, maybe not spend the night. Fly home the next day. Total result-when the airlines were offering bonuses, you could easily rack up 35,000 miles for $450. Another 15,000 miles gets you an upgrade to business class on a long haul international flight. NO WAY could you touch the business class ticket for regular fare + $450.00 and your time. RT business class to Europe or Asia starts at about $6000.00. But a more realistic aspect-you are flying home to visit relatives or friends. Or you are "borrowing" your friends ski cabin or time share. Your expenses would essentially be the air. DH and I once spent 3 days flying back to back to back (7 round trips) from Dallas Love Field to San Antonio and return. 72,000 AA miles EACH. Well worth the $500 in airfare + 3 nights Priceline hotel. I sure can't upgrade a cheapo ticket to Europe or Asia for less than $800.00 in cash. The planes were filled with others doing the same thing.

I'm not trying to get insurance for the rest of the trip now, just the air portion..........

I understand, but you are probably beating a dead horse. Keep looking, read the fine print and make phone calls. MAYBE you will find something. But the Travelsafe program REQUIRES you to purchase insurance within 15 days of initial deposit (any deposit) for the cancel for any reason insurance. MOST other policies have either that provision or a provision that you insure all non refundable expenses. IF you cancelled, you would have to prove that you are flying to Alaska, staying with friends or in borrowed accomodations and have no other expenses. Without a RT ticket, you couldn't even prove that. How would you prove it???

The $268.00pp total trip cost would raise eyebrows immediately if you filed a claim. READ the fine print. IT IS in there. And travel insurance companies will avail themselves of all information BEFORE they pay a claim.

No way our plans could change well before then and we would then be out the Trip Insurance Money.

NOT NECESSARILY. Very often, if your plans change, you can apply what you paid for trip insurance to another trip. And what about pre-existing conditions? Coverage for pre-existing conditions purchased close to the trip date is pretty pricey (I have purchased it myself quite a few times and always kick myself for doing it). Doesn't have to be you-could be parents, siblings, grandchildren or even business partners. You need to really think this through.

In general Cancel for Any Reason insurance must be purchased within a set number of days of you PUTTING DOWN YOUR FIRST TRIP DEPOSIT. So, if you already put down a deposit for your cruise, you must buy within the guidelines to even be considered covered. Usually those guidelines are 7-21 days of putting down that deposit, depending on the insurance plan. Another thing I discovered about Cancel for Any Reason inusurance was that you MUST INSURE ALL EXPENSES for your entire trip at the time you buy the insurance. You cannot underinsure yourself. I have done so much research on trip insurance both in 2008 and in 2009. I thought I had a good handle on it all in 2008, until I was purchasing insurance for my grandson this past summer and wanted Cancel for Any Reason. You have to be very careful with Travel Insurance. There are many reasons they can deny a claim. Pre-exisiting conditions is a big reason claims are denied. Also some will deny a claim if you underinsure yourself. I had a Travelex Plan that did not require I insure all my expenses, however I did not purchase a cancel for any reason. I was mostly interested in pre-existing condition coverage. With a MIL with pre-existing conditions, we needed to be able to cancel if something happened to her. For that coverage, you also must purchase within a set number of days of putting down your first deposit. I suggest you get yourself educated on insurance plans. Here are two good sites to get started:

I found the company below to have very knowledgable staff. However, you need to know what questions to ask. You also need to read the entire policy before you purchase. They are available online.

http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/

This is a another site good for comparing plans:

http://www.insuremytrip.com/

I went with a Cancel for Any Reason plan with Travelex for my grandson.

You need to do a lot research on this subject.

Yes, you can purchase flight insurance. Typical flight insurance covers you only for illness, injury, to you, a travelling partner or immediate family member. It does not cover you for "any reason."

It was my understanding that you could include your airfare as part of your "cancel for any reason" travel insurance package. However as already mentioned, you must purchase within a set number of days of your first trip deposit. It does not matter if that deposit is refundable or not. If you placed a deposit for your trip, and you want cancel for any reason insurance, or insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, YOU MUST PURCHASE IT WITHIN THE REQUIRED NUMBERS OF DAYS AFTER YOUR FIRST TRIP DEPOSIT.

Also know that if you try to cancel your trip for next summer and just start all over so you can purchase "cancel for any reason insurance" within the required number of days, you will be in for a surprise if you need to file a claim. The companies I looked at stated that Cancel for Any Reason insurance was only valid if you had not made any other similiar plans for this vacation that were cancelled. They are very wise to what people will try to do. Insurance companies are in business to make money. If you research and buy the right plan, they will pay out if you are insursed properly. However, just because you bought insurance, do not assume they will pay out for whatever you think they should. As already stated, make sure you READ ALL THE FINE PRINT and UNDERSTAND ALL THE FINE PRINT. Assume nothing. Read the fine print, call the insurance company and get the details. Make sure you understand EVERYTHING about the plan you are buying.

For instance I have a deposit now on a cruise in 2011. Am I going to buy insurance now for it? No way our plans could change well before then and we would then be out the Trip Insurance Money.

Well, I wanted Pre-Existing Coverage covered, so yes I bought the insurance at the time I put down my first deposit. The premium did not cost me anything more by paying early. However, pre-existing conditions were covered. I could have waited to purchase later, but then pre-existing conditions would not be covered. It is that simple. CSA does offer plans that cover pre-existing conditions that you can purchase closer to your travel date, but they are more expensive. By buying early, I save money. However, yes, if I had to cancel for some reason not covered by my insurance, then yes, I have "lost" the money I have paid for insurance. However, that was far less than I could have lost if I had to cancel my trip for a pre-existing condition that was not covered by my plan because I waited to purchase it.

Since you want "cancel for any reason" but are not willing to buy your insurance within the set number of days required for all costs you will incur on your trip, there IS NO WAY I know of that you can get that insurance.

I would not buy insurance just to cover a $268/pp plane ticket! If you have to cancel the trip, I think the highest airline change fee is $150/ticket - so you're really out only $150/pp if you cancel.

I usually buy my insurance within the time frame to get pre-existing conditions covered: between 10-21 days, depending on the policy. If I'm not sure about a cruise, when I do buy the insurance, I get it from CSA or HTH, because several of their policies cover pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment. I have also changed cruise plans after buying the insurance, and was able to transfer the insurance to a different cruise.

I would not buy insurance just to cover a $268/pp plane ticket! If you have to cancel the trip, I think the highest airline change fee is $150/ticket - so you're really out only $150/pp if you cancel.

I usually buy my insurance within the time frame to get pre-existing conditions covered: between 10-21 days, depending on the policy. If I'm not sure about a cruise, when I do buy the insurance, I get it from CSA or HTH, because several of their policies cover pre-existing conditions as long as the insurance is purchased within 24 hours of making the final trip payment. I have also changed cruise plans after buying the insurance, and was able to transfer the insurance to a different cruise.

We would be out more then a $150 per person change fee because booking these flights would be on a airline that we wouldn't use anywhere but to Alaska. So if we cancel we wouldn't be using the tickets to anywhere else.

Could someone define pre-existing conditions. I want to see how many people have different ideas on what this is?

Jimbo:):)

Best is to ask the insurance company you are considering purchasing from. In general terms it means a pre-existing condition for you, your travelling partner or immediate family member that is not travelling with you. For example, at the time you make your first trip deposit your mother has cancer. Your trip is a year out. As you get close to your trip date she takes a turn for the worse. You are not comfortable leaving for your trip. You want to cancel your vacation. If you do not have pre-existing coverage as part of your policy, the insurance company will deny your claim. THe loss is yours to eat. If you have any questions about the health of any family members, you need to contact the insurance company and see if they consider it a pre-existing condition or not. Also find out how "sick" someone back home has to be for them to pay out on the claim. Get all this figured out before you buy.

One of the saddest stories I read about this was someone who posted that they purchased trip insurance from their cruiseline at the time they purchased their cruise. It was a large group going on a last vacation with their mother/grandmother who had cancer. They thought the fact that they bought insurance covered them if they had to cancel. Unfortunately they assumed wrong. The cruiseline didn't even offer pre-existing coverage on the insurance plan they sold. This family lost a bundle as the mother became seriously ill and could not take the trip. If my memory serves me correctly, she passed away and no one was able to take their cruise. Lots of money lost.

I have a friend who planned a trip to four to Hawaii. They did not buy insurance. Her mother died just before her trip and they lost $4000. I know some don't buy insurance, but we can't afford to lose that kind of money.

If you do a search for "insurance" on this site you will bring up lots of old threads, some of which discuss trip insurance quite extensively.

We would be out more then a $150 per person change fee because booking these flights would be on a airline that we wouldn't use anywhere but to Alaska. So if we cancel we wouldn't be using the tickets to anywhere else.

I know NWA always offered flight cancellation insurance at the time of purchase. It was fairly reasonable. However, as I said before, it is not a 'cancel for any reason' plan. It is for illness, injury, death, etc. Again, you need to read the policy to find out exactly what it covers. No matter what anyone tells you here, do not take it for gospel truth. Every plan is different, and plans could change from year to year. SO, do your research and read up all you can. Then call a company or two and ask them questions. The website links I gave you above can help you compare plans. I would still then follow up with a phone call to the insurance company itself to make sure everyone is telling you the same thing. If you buy insurance, you want to make sure it covers you.

This is a fallacy. If you mean Alaska Airlines, they fly to a lot of places in the continental US. They also are codeshare partners with lots of airlines-AA, Delta, Air France, etc. etc. You would be able to use the VALUE of your tickets less the change fee on a lot of flights.

Could someone define pre-existing conditions. I want to see how many people have different ideas on what this is?

Jimbo:):)

Pre existing conditions can be as minute as changing a prescription to a higher or lower dose or changing insulin to a different configuration. Our son's pre existing condition (diabetic) was declared "unstable" by a travel insurance company because he had gone from insulin shots to pills. IF he did not have the pre-existing conditon coverage in his travel policy (Carnival-Rio-2007) and would have had to stay home, he would have lost airfare, hotels and very expensive tickets to the Sambadrome.

We also would have been out of luck without pre exiting condition coverage if he would have had to cancel the trip for a serious condition and we chose to stay with him.

You need to read the FINE print in these travel policies. For some reason, you think we are BS'ing you.

Pre existing conditions can be as minute as changing a prescription to a higher or lower dose or changing insulin to a different configuration. .

The first time I bought travel insurance, I wasn't even sure if we needed pre-existing conditions covered or not. However, I was not willing to take a chance that our claim would be denied so I bought it in the required time frame. Now, I know I have to take it. Our grandson has a heart condition, so it is a no-brainer. I even bought insurance for our trip to California. The reason I am most interested in travel insurance, is not only the potential money lost from airfare and hotels, but medical transport if necessary. If we were to be struck with a stroke or be in a bad car accident, the only way home might be a medical transport plane. Those can be very costly. So for me, the cost of insurance is worth peace of mind. I make the sure the plane has decent medical transport/evacuation insurance.

Well, I wanted Pre-Existing Coverage covered, so yes I bought the insurance at the time I put down my first deposit. The premium did not cost me anything more by paying early. However, pre-existing conditions were covered. I could have waited to purchase later, but then pre-existing conditions would not be covered. It is that simple. CSA does offer plans that cover pre-existing conditions that you can purchase closer to your travel date, but they are more expensive. By buying early, I save money. However, yes, if I had to cancel for some reason not covered by my insurance, then yes, I have "lost" the money I have paid for insurance. However, that was far less than I could have lost if I had to cancel my trip for a pre-existing condition that was not covered by my plan because I waited to purchase it. ...

We also pay for our insurance when we pay our booking deposit, so we can get the pre-existing conditions coverage siince we both have high blood pressure and hubby also has other conditions. Since high bp could be seen as the cause of any heart problems that might arise, we want to make sure we are covered.

And I agree with you that even though we lose the insurance money if we cancel for a non-covered reason (e.g. -- changed mind), like any other insurance (fire insurance for a home), it's worth the cost for the peace of mind.

Archived