Any recommendations for Princess Cays?

PA8880

We've already booked snorkeling, kayacking and beack trips to other islands that we wanted to do something different, but Princess isn't offering much variety. Anyone have any reccomendations about what they did there? Any must sees? We want beaches and water!!:)

We've already booked snorkeling, kayacking and beack trips to other islands that we wanted to do something different, but Princess isn't offering much variety. Anyone have any reccomendations about what they did there? Any must sees? We want beaches and water!!:)

Thats all thats there is a beach and water.

We just grabbed a Palapa and chairs and vegged all day. :D

If you want beaches and water, that's what you'll get at Princess Cays.

There is actually pretty good snorkeling right there that you can do for no charge. Bring you own equipment and you'll find the fish.

Best advice from me is to book the clamshells to get some shade. That would be on my "must" list. Maybe second would be something to float on.

Princess Cays is really beautiful!! I could skip the regular POC and just go there. Beautiful beach and calm turquoise water. Great buffet, plenty of beach chairs, good beach service. don't miss it! It's a wonderful and relaxing day at a beautiful beach.

We always enjoy walking over to where all the locals are selling their goods. The entrance is right behind the first aid. Be prepared to show your ID and cruise card to the immigration agents before entering. Inside you'll find lots of local goods at decent prices - be sure to bring small bills as they don't always have change. We've found a lot of neat handmade items here.. It's worth the short walk, that's for sure.

We always enjoy walking over to where all the locals are selling their goods. The entrance is right behind the first aid. Be prepared to show your ID and cruise card to the immigration agents before entering. Inside you'll find lots of local goods at decent prices - be sure to bring small bills as they don't always have change. We've found a lot of neat handmade items here.. It's worth the short walk, that's for sure.

Thanks for this tip!

Can someone tell me what is free or what do you have to pay for on Princess Cays.

They serve a buffet bbq style lunch, no charge. Water and ice tea are free. Drinks, including soda are not included, even if you have a soda sticker. Clam shells, bungalows, floats, banana boat rides, kayaks, etc. all for an extra fee.

Snorkeling is enjoyable, but not fantastic. Lots of fish on a ledge just off shore. very easy.

Free food, no worrying about catching a taxi back to the ship on time.

Great day to relax and drink a Fosters IMO.

My advice is also to stay on the ship and enjoy the luxurious quiet!

I've been to Princess Cays twice and I think it's a waste of my day compared to other ports of call. it takes forever to get ashore by tender unless you're prepared to line up (we weren't--we waited for the lineup to disappear then got on the tender). The bar closes early to make you go back to the ship. the lunch is nowhere near as good as the ship. line up for everything including the bathroom.

the beach and swimming isn't as lovely as other beaches. Last cruise we stayed on board, went to the spa (there were specials!), scored chairs right next to the pool and lazed about. Fabulous drinks service, had sun or shade as desired.

Enough said.

the buffet is always crowded and flies on your food. It's easier to stay on the ship, have a relaxing day at the pool w/o the hogs and then lunch out of the sun. Just been to too many of these private islands w/ the same food, etc to make the effort. If the drinks were better I might change my mind.

Princess Cays is what it is . Its a private island area without other ships . Its a very relaxing quiet island. I personally like Princess cays for that. Where do you go to a picnic setting without flies. I enjoy being on Gilligans stile Island for the non rushed setting. Princess offers diferent things at each stop. I would like more people to stay on ship as there would be less people ashore. I walk the beach, snorkel , have a fairly good bbq , watch the fish , and then relax in a clam . CARL

It is worth experiencing Princess Cays at least once. Go to the west and enjoy the open sands away from the massed crowds around the tender arrival area. The Barbq is a pleasant change from the normal ship food and they are very generous with their helpings of main course and fruit. If you want beach and water you certainly get that on the Cay!

4021744479_5575187e9c.jpg

Explore, not only is it a great walk inside the Princess area, one can walk outside across a lagoon up to the main road.

In addition to the local vendors just outside the Princess area, there are some very nice photo ops along the way to the mainroad.

We are not beach sun baskers nor swimmers, but we had a great time exploring past the crowds inside and then experiencing what is outside the gates.

Yes, be sure you have your cruise cards ready to exit and return.

It is worth experiencing Princess Cays at least once. Go to the west and enjoy the open sands away from the massed crowds around the tender arrival area.

I am assuming by 'west' you mean 'bear to the left', as one usually looks at maps with north facing up and west facing to the left. (I believe that 'left' would actually be to the north the way the area is situated.)

If I am remembering another recent thread, another veteran cruiser recommended going to the left. I thanked them and quoted a take on the well known quote "Go left, young man, go left"

I understand that the clamshells are lined up right at the center and/or to the right. And, unless you have a front row clamshell, one does not want to be behind them, looking at the back of a sea of clamshells once they are all set up.

My advice is also to stay on the ship and enjoy the luxurious quiet!

I've been to Princess Cays twice and I think it's a waste of my day compared to other ports of call. it takes forever to get ashore by tender unless you're prepared to line up (we weren't--we waited for the lineup to disappear then got on the tender). The bar closes early to make you go back to the ship. the lunch is nowhere near as good as the ship. line up for everything including the bathroom.

the beach and swimming isn't as lovely as other beaches. Last cruise we stayed on board, went to the spa (there were specials!), scored chairs right next to the pool and lazed about. Fabulous drinks service, had sun or shade as desired.

Enough said.

Is it true that Princess has added additional buffet/restrooms on the right side of the tender docking area in recent years? Perhaps the bolded comments were posted before this?

We always book a bungalow... fewer people in that area, lots of shade, and sun if you want. You can turn on the a.c. if you want... but why? The breeze in the shade is great... just relax, explore, and no worries about having your private space when you get back.

Ruby 1/19/09

Is it true that Princess has added additional buffet/restrooms on the right side of the tender docking area in recent years? Perhaps the bolded comments were posted before this?

Yes there are buffets on both sides. there was a line but it was only 5 minutes since everyone went through efficiently and quickly

Archived