5 Night Cruise

With all of this talk of dress code in the MDR... I have a question about the one night that is something between casual and formal. (I can't think of what it's called - a cruise newbie here - sorry!). I know that the second night will be formal night but which night will this other night, the one that you're supposed to dress just a little bit above casual, be on a 5 night cruise?

It used to be the Semi-formal night, where men wore sports jackets in lieu of Tux's or Suits and ladies wore something elegant but a lot less sparkley......

Alas those days are long gone, and some might feel for the better. I personally have not seen a Semi Formal night in action in my last 10 cruises.

Of course there are still many folks who do like to dress to the nines and others a tad more casual.

Enjoy your cruise....

I just returned from the 5 night on Explorer and was surprised to find that the 4th night was Smart Casual. Many people dressed for it, many others didn't. It was the night of the Crown and Anchor party and one man was waiting to enter the party dressed in shorts. When a Staff Member approached him about his attire he said that he had not brought any pants with him. He was still allowed into the party.

I just returned from the 5 night on Explorer and was surprised to find that the 4th night was Smart Casual. Many people dressed for it, many others didn't. It was the night of the Crown and Anchor party and one man was waiting to enter the party dressed in shorts. When a Staff Member approached him about his attire he said that he had not brought any pants with him. He was still allowed into the party.

Click the link....

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do;jsessionid=0000Q-iRs7cYxZUP2hzWM-pIYV2:12hdhu6tq

RCI tells you what they expect.

I guess RCI is resurrecting smart casual night - we also had a smart casual night on our 5-night Radiance cruises. DH hadn't packed a jacket other than his tux, so went with a long-sleeved shirt and slacks. And that's probably all he'll ever wear for smart casual - we travel with minimal luggage and it's either add a sportcoat or lose the tux. We enjoy formal night, so will limit the dressy night to that.

On smart casual nights, most men will simply wear docker-type pants and a collared shirt (golf/polo/button-up)...Only a few will be wearing jackets and fewer, ties!

Of course, you'll find the women will dress up a bit more....it's nice to look good!

Archived