Vietnam - Tour guides with permits to pick-up within a port

Jade13

I am looking for others who have done private tours in Vietnam.

A tour guide who told me they were licensed to go into the port is now requesting information that I do not want to provide, including personal information from everyone in our group including ages and passport information. This is just a day tour. I asked why they needed it and they said they had to pay $20.00pp for the permit to pick up each person within the port. They also initially said we could pay that day. I guess I thought they already had a permit. This also of course makes it impossible to add people once on the ship.

They write:

"Please give us the information of each person for applying the port permit here:

- full name

- birthday

- nationality

- passport number

Please note that no cancellations will be made after.."

This guide has not yet been reviewed on CC. Some are using them before us later this year.

Do some guides already have a company permit so do not have to go through this?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

I am looking for others who have done private tours in Vietnam.

A tour guide who told me they were licensed to go into the port is now requesting information that I do not want to provide, including personal information from everyone in our group including ages and passport information. This is just a day tour. I asked why they needed it and they said they had to pay $20.00pp for the permit to pick up each person within the port. They also initially said we could pay that day. I guess I thought they already had a permit. This also of course makes it impossible to add people once on the ship.

They write:

"Please give us the information of each person for applying the port permit here:

- full name

- birthday

- nationality

- passport number

Please note that no cancellations will be made after.."

This guide has not yet been reviewed on CC. Some are using them before us later this year.

Do some guides already have a company permit so do not have to go through this?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

As a follow-up, I heard from the guide and they are not requesting money upfront, so taking all the risk in paying for the permits upfront if we do not show up. In part I posted what they emailed me below. Apparently there is only one company in Vietnam that has a blanket permit to go into the ports.

"We do not need your passport on the day. You will just give us the information now and we will arrange the port permit 5 days before arrival day.

The cruise ship works with only 1 destination company in Vietnam. Other companies like me have to apply for this port permit. No other choice!

For some ports, it's quite a distance of at least half a mile, many trucks or cranes running, it's not safe to walk.

Yes, I think Vietnam is different, more controling.

Some people can walk to the gate and get a taxi, but we never recommend this because it's not safe. You do not know what price those taxi drivers have to pay to be there and they may do scam on you or they cannot communicate well with you and things might go wrong without proper solutions. It's risky for you.

Anyway, I am sorry that we cannot arrange the tour for you without having the information for port permit."

I personally don't have a problem providing this information.

That is the way we did it 3 years ago and the way we are doing it this year.

Hi Al, I was going to email you so glad you read my post. In your case it's just you and your wife. I am just making an assumption that others on my roll call won't want to give me this information. You know a lot of women don't want to disclose their age :)

Also, when I posted last night I thought the guide was now requesting money upfront, but she is not. And, taking all the risk paying for permits and hoping we show up.

Also, when I posted last night I thought the guide was now requesting money upfront, but she is not. And, taking all the risk paying for permits and hoping we show up.

I am surprised you are not being asked for money upfront, at least for the port permits. Reputable tour guides are getting burned (as per my good friend and others I have heard about). Other than the backpacker tour agencies (and the kids generally book "on the spot", not in advance), quite a few are now asking for deposits at least.

You are going into a COMMUNIST country that enforces rules stringently. I always have to provide all passport info/any other requested info to go into any of the ports in Vietnam at least 10 days pre entry. Women not providing info because they don't want to reveal age is a LAME excuse. Passports are often kept OVERNIGHT in Vietnam just checking into hotels. They are inspected ALWAYS by the local police and OFTEN by the SECRET POLICE. Being a communist country, they truly want to know WHO is in their country and WHAT they are doing there. They do not want "subversion" or dissenters in their country or those who may encourage such action. You are not in Europe or the USA. Please don't try to change the system or rebel against the system-you could be in for a miserable experience (like walking long distances to port entrances or dodging forklifts and trucks). Don't forget-the cruise lines will have provided the very info you are trying not to provide to get temporary visas and clearance into dockage.

The only companies which have permanent permits are those arranged by the cruise lines for ship sponsered excursions. One of the companies (in Hanoi) is a joint venture between some cruise ship association and the Vietnam operator. My friend, the tour operator/guide in Saigon, is very upset about the unfair advantage some companies have been able to get through bribery and corruption. It IS a Communist country, after all.

I am surprised you are not being asked for money upfront, at least for the port permits. Reputable tour guides are getting burned (as per my good friend and others I have heard about). Other than the backpacker tour agencies (and the kids generally book "on the spot", not in advance), quite a few are now asking for deposits at least.

The only companies which have permanent permits are those arranged by the cruise lines for ship sponsered excursions. One of the companies (in Hanoi) is a joint venture between some cruise ship association and the Vietnam operator. My friend, the tour operator/guide in Saigon, is very upset about the unfair advantage some companies have been able to get through bribery and corruption. It IS a Communist country, after all.

Greatam, understood and we are providing the information to this tour company (for a tour out of Danang). I was just asking because this was not requested initially and I also have not seen it brought up on these boards. I'm actually surprised that the tour operator does not want to pick us up outside of the port so they do not have to get these port permits. Initially the company had indicated they had a permit to pick-up in the port (not that they had to get one).

After all, if we charter a motor boat with Blue Cruiser we would be meeting them outside of the port in HCMC, right? So I guess the next question is what the port is like in HCMC? Do we walk through a terminal or just off the ship? Blue Cruiser just said their jetty is about 500 meters from where we are scheduled to dock. It would be helpful if someone here knew how to do the google maps or something like it to get a better idea of the layout.

Hi Al, I was going to email you so glad you read my post. In your case it's just you and your wife. I am just making an assumption that others on my roll call won't want to give me this information. You know a lot of women don't want to disclose their age :)

Lately it is becoming more and more evident that the private companies need this infor for port permits, since the ports are mostly cargo. Last Asia cruise they needed the info from all people in our group for Vietnam, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. We had no problem giving them this info for required permits. Going from Bangkok to Lam Chabang port entrace our private car, driver, had to take our passports and tickets into the port control office to get a port temp entry card.

Lately it is becoming more and more evident that the private companies need this infor for port permits, since the ports are mostly cargo. Last Asia cruise they needed the info from all people in our group for Vietnam, Mainland China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. We had no problem giving them this info for required permits. Going from Bangkok to Lam Chabang port entrace our private car, driver, had to take our passports and tickets into the port control office to get a port temp entry card.

I dealt with this going across the border to Iguassu, Brazil.

We don't have a problem but it can be more difficult if you are gathering a group on a roll call. It makes it hard to add others upon arrival (Well they can do it but who knows how long it will take). I believe for Hanoi it is just the two of you traveling by air etc.

I'd like to know what we will have to go through if we walk off in HCMC with a group going out of the port and to another location to a motor boat jetty. We will have been in Danang and two days later arriving in HCMC.

I dealt with this going across the border to Iguassu, Brazil.

We don't have a problem but it can be more difficult if you are gathering a group on a roll call. It makes it hard to add others upon arrival (Well they can do it but who knows how long it will take). I believe for Hanoi it is just the two of you traveling by air etc.

I'd like to know what we will have to go through if we walk off in HCMC with a group going out of the port and to another location to a motor boat jetty. We will have been in Danang and two days later arriving in HCMC.

I will have a guide waiting at the pier, other members of the group will be using other guides for HCMC. I will be reporting back and I will have their info also. You will have the advantage of knowing everything. We did the Iguazu to Igucu back in february, it was a breeze for 2 buses. I have crossed many boarders and have gotten off in many cities using private guides, never ever had a problem in in Russia, back when. you mentioned crossing into Brazil, I hope that stamp is not in your passport if you do not have a current Yellow fever shot. Check the Vietnam web site about visits to certain countries and having required shots.

• 2 weeks later...

. My friend, the tour operator/guide in Saigon, is very upset about the unfair advantage some companies have been able to get through bribery and corruption. It IS a Communist country, after all.

can you send me information on your friend who is the guide. planning on a few weeks in Vietnam in December and looking for local guides i a few cities.

GreatAm, I am interested in your firends name too. You have my e-mail address and would appreciate hearing from you. Adele

Adele,

Greatam mentioned that her friend would no longer deal with cruise ship passengers as he (I think it was a he) lost a lot of money on passengers that he had pre-paid on flights with-in Vietnam as well as his flight to travel with them or meet them as guide.

Archived