Grand Princess - what are the chances of an upgrade?

wobblybob74

Hello there folks,

Sorry to bang on about it - I must mention this nearly every time I post - but our Med cruise next June is our honeymoon.

I've filled in the bit about celebrations on the Princess cruise personaliser and I'm wondering what (if anything) Princess may do for us. We've booked an inside cabin so is there much chance of an upgrade, or do you reckon we'll get goodies in the cabin instead?

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything at all. It's just if Princess are going to be nice to us, it'd be good to know the chances! :D

Cheers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything at all.
Good...then you won't be disappointed.

We celebrated our 40th on the Grand last month. We got three balloons over the door and a card for a special dessert.

Lew

Anything is possible, but don't bet on it. If you want a better cabin, you should probably book it.

As to your cabin, they will put balloons and a sign on the outside of your door.

I fully agree, in principle.

However, a higher category isn't always better. There are six inside cabins on Grand Class ships that are larger than any OV. Size matters, even with cabins. :p

Plaza deck cabins, the lowest category, are prized by many. I've even seen them priced higher than categories above them.

There will be many onboard celebrating special occasions - probably several honeymoon couples, 25th wedding anniversary, 40th anniversary etc. If Princess did special goodies or upgrades for all, they would be shelling out a lot.

We hear about upgrades often on CC as people post here excited about it but I am on my 7th cruise with Princess and never have had even a 1 category upgrade. We have booked insides, outsides, balconies, mini-suites - guarantees and assigned cabins. We have noted we are celebrating birthdays, anniversaries etc. - never made any difference to Princess beyond some balloons on our door and cake in the diningroom.

Don't count on Princess to do extra for your honeymoon, plan in advance whatever you can to make it special.

Enjoy your cruise, I am sure it will be wonderful...

Just because it's your honeymoon and you've booked an inexpensive cabin does not mean you'll get an upgrade. Usually, it seems that IF there is an upgrade, it's usually for people who have never cruised with Princess before. If that applies to you, then you have a small chance of an upgrade.

Also, you don't get anything sent to you because you're celebrating a special ocassion. You'll get 3 balloons over your door with a pre-printed congratulatory sign and a dessert in the dining room. (Believe it or not, that's more than many other cruise lines do.)

Book the category of cabin you'll be happy with and don't count on an upgrade.

The upgrade fairy does not come around very often. If you want a better cabin, you should book it.

On so many occasions, we hear people complaining that they didnt get something comped for this or that occasion. If you want something nicer, my suggestion is that you do it yourself.

Plaza deck cabins, the lowest category, are prized by many. I've even seen them priced higher than categories above them.

Well, we've been allocated P239, right underneath the theatre so hopefully that'll do us grand.

I do feel that some of the people who have replied have misunderstood me - we didn't book an inside cabin in the hope we'd get upgraded. We booked an inside cabin on the grounds that we'd probably only be using it to sleep in (and other stuff - well, it is our honeymoon :D). We thought, being first time cruisers, that we'd book the cheapest cabin and spend the difference on treats for us both.

Like I said in my original post, we don't expect anything and to do so would be arrogant of us.

Hope that clears things up...

If you would like to treat yourself to something special for your honeymoon I suggest you look at the "gifts" section of the Princess website. They have gift packages for sale that include things like flowers, robes, champagne, etc.

Hello there folks,

Sorry to bang on about it - I must mention this nearly every time I post - but our Med cruise next June is our honeymoon.

I've filled in the bit about celebrations on the Princess cruise personaliser and I'm wondering what (if anything) Princess may do for us. We've booked an inside cabin so is there much chance of an upgrade, or do you reckon we'll get goodies in the cabin instead?

Don't get me wrong, I don't expect anything at all. It's just if Princess are going to be nice to us, it'd be good to know the chances! :D

Cheers.

For what its worth, my wife and I celebrated our honeymoon last year on the Diamond. We had booked a Penthouse suite and they upgraded us to a Grand Suite (only one on the ship):D. Just wish they had told us at check-in though as we went to what we thought was going to be our cabin only to find someone else in it. We did ask the member of staff at the elevator but she couldn't help us. So only after running down and waiting in the queue at the pursers desk feeling cheesed off did we find out. I did laugh about it later though lying in my jacuzzi drinking champagne. Good luck:D

Well, we've been allocated P239, right underneath the theatre so hopefully that'll do us grand.

I do feel that some of the people who have replied have misunderstood me - we didn't book an inside cabin in the hope we'd get upgraded. We booked an inside cabin on the grounds that we'd probably only be using it to sleep in (and other stuff - well, it is our honeymoon :D). We thought, being first time cruisers, that we'd book the cheapest cabin and spend the difference on treats for us both.

Like I said in my original post, we don't expect anything and to do so would be arrogant of us.

Hope that clears things up...

The only upgrade I've ever had was a first time cruise on Celebrity. It was a doozy, from a middle grade Oceanview cabin to a Sky Suite. :D

It seems many upgrades go to first timers.

As to giving preference to a certain category of passenger, honeymooners, newlyweds, etc. I doubt that's much of a factor.

There can be up to 3,000 pax booked. Who at home office has time to sort out those categories? I suspect that upgrades are 99% computer generated.

It's easy to write a program so it recognizes first timers, Elites and others whose history can be numeralized (is that a word?:p).

Since traveling solo, I've booked only inside cabins and been very happy with them.

On Princess ships the inside cabins are the same size as oceanviews and balconies, so you aren't sacrificing space.

Just be sure to bring a clock with an illuminated dial and a night light to put in the loo.

I like the StickNClick light placed on a top shelf in the head.

http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-SCN-MC12-Stick-Click-Lights/dp/B000J0NL8O

http://www.magellans.com/store/Alarm_ClocksAC354?Args=

Happy Cruising! :D

Hello there folks,

Cheers.

Don't hold your breath!:rolleyes:

Archived