Muscat, Oman for the Day

Maryandi

We'll be on the Pacific Princess World Cruise and stopping for the day in Muscat.

If you have been there, I'd apreciate knowing how far the port is from town. and what did you do ?

Sometimes you sign up for a tour, then find out that they have a shuttle and/or are real close to the center of town.

Thanks for any help.

MaryAnn

We'll be on the Pacific Princess World Cruise and stopping for the day in Muscat.

If you have been there, I'd apreciate knowing how far the port is from town. and what did you do ?

Sometimes you sign up for a tour, then find out that they have a shuttle and/or are real close to the center of town.

Thanks for any help.

MaryAnn

Please read through this thread. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1067819

I have recently spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East for business. Never taken a cruise, so can't tell you about shuttles. But you need to go into the Middle East with a VERY open mind. It is NOT "touristy". There is little tourist infrastructure. A lot of mosques, some museums, always souks. IF you have the time during a port stop, get out in the desert for dune riding or into the mountains. Maybe even a camel race. Enjoy!!!

Edited by greatam

Thanks for the link to all your information. We'll be in several countries in the area. Don't have anymore questions until I do more research. Can't find a city map of Muscat.

Would like to hear if there is a shuttle and how far is the town from a cruiser.

MaryAnn

• 1 month later...

We were in Muscat in 2007 on the Crystal Serenity World Cruise and we will be there again on the 2010 Crystal World Cruise.

The peir is located 6km to the center of Muscat. Due to local transportation regulations the port shuttle service could only carry passengers to the port gate. You will find that true in some (not all but some) of the Middle East ports in certain ports of call. At the port gate there are taxis. If you plan to use a taxi they are not metered so you need to negoiate the fare up front. You can use USA dollars.

There is a Souq which is called the Muttrah soug which is located 2km from the port.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
The souk looks like fun. We would also like to see the fort, does anyone know if that is within walking distance? If not, are taxi's available and for how much?

RCCL offers a walking tour of Muscat that includes the Muttrah Souk so that is obviously walking distance from the pier. Then they offer a bus trip to the forts (plural) Nizwa Fort is described as being at the far end of the souk and through the gate which makes me think it would be a long walk. The other forts are driving distance from there, so I guess it depends on which fort you are talking about. Judy:)

Judy,

Thanks for the info! It is a little tricky to find a lot of info about Muscat.

It sounds like we would be able to walk to the souk and the fort (Nizwa) if we felt ambitious and didn't want to do the ship's tour. If it ends up that we are tired by the end of the day, we could always see if we could get a taxi back (though I have read that there aren't that many as in Dubai).

:)

We were there last year on the Seabourn and it was amazing. I got a guide on the internet and he took us to the markets and the amazing mosque and for an incredible lunch. We were also in Dubai on this cruise and I throught that Oman really symbolized the emirates while Dubai reminded me of Las Vegas on steroids. If I can find the name of the guide company I will post it. I did a search of guides in Oman - we were very fortunate!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Ruppert, it sounds as if you did a similar route cruise to the one we go on the week after next, did you happen to remember the name of the tour company you used in Oman? Do you have any tips for independent tours in Fujairah, Abu Dhabi or Bahrain by any chance? The cruise ship tour prices are pretty high and dont offer much variety. Any tips greatfully received!

Muscat's souq is within 10 min. walk from the port gate but the mosque, palace, fort, castle are a bit far away.

For those comtemplating walking to the souq, remember that it can be very hot in Muscat. When we were there in November,it approached 100 F (37 C or so)

For those comtemplating walking to the souq, remember that it can be very hot in Muscat. When we were there in November,it approached 100 F (37 C or so)

Hi Paul, did you use the ship's or private tour?:confused: We're going to be in Muscat on April 30, 2010. Any advice on touring will be much appreciated.

Perla (& Joe) from Hilton Head Island:)

• 3 years later...

Been there twice on cruises. Do remember the ship ties up in a container port so you can't just walk off the ship. We did a walking tour with RCCI and it was very good. Had some free time for the souk. We like the place.

• 2 weeks later...

We LOVED Muscat..one of our favorite stops this past Spring. We had a private guide through Muscat Private Shore Excursions. he was just fabulous! We were so glad we went the private tour route all over the mid east..Here, Fujairah we went out to the hills for a picnic, Abu Dhabi had private guide and the same one in Dubai. Dubai Private Excursions..we loved the entire area and stayed extra days at the end in Dubai. FABUOLOUS part of the world and so very different from ours.

Enjoy the whole area!

Sherry

• 1 month later...
Been there twice on cruises. Do remember the ship ties up in a container port so you can't just walk off the ship. We did a walking tour with RCCI and it was very good. Had some free time for the souk. We like the place.

Just to clarify, the port is located in the centre of Muscat about 5 minutes drive from the palace and a few minutes walk to the Mattrah Souk and the beautiful corniche.

The port is used for some container vessels, however serves as the primary cruise ship port in Oman with a Cruise Terminal and is also the home to the Sultans yachts which feature in the largest 5 in the world.

Free shuttle buses provide transfers from the ship to the port entrance where you can either wall to the souk or can take a taxi to various places at fixed rates (published municipality prices posted on a large sign next to the taxi rank).

We were in Muscat yesterday.

We did the hop on hop off tour which was not very good.

The souk is interesting and close to the dock.

Went out snorkeling on a boat. Absolutely excellent.

I would go back.