Liberty 10/3/09

BeinKc

We just got home and I wanted to share some information. I research these boards before we sail and have found some very valuable information, so I want to pass it on.

This is our 12 or so cruise (5 RCL, 6 Carnival, 1 Disney). This was a last minute cruise decision for us and so we thought we would suffer through and book an inside room to save money. One week before the cruise we received a call from the upgrade fairy offering us a 9A balcony for 200 per person. We took them up on it and what a treat. The room was 8442. It looks larger on the ship deck plans and so does the balcony. Well, it definitely was. This was the largest room I have ever had on a cruise ship. The balcony was twice the size of a regular balcony room. We were on Port side for Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk and San Juan which made for great viewing. In St. Thomas both sides had equally good views. Our deck was shaded 90% of the time. Now this room is right beside the coveted "aft rap around balconys", but their balcony seemed to have sun alot more than ours, especially on the last sea day when we were heading home, they were in the sun all day long.

The ship was in good shape and had some entertaining decor in the different lounges. Food was average with my past experiences, but the Mexican and Fish and Chips were an exception. You have to get to them early or else there will be a large line, but they were both worth waiting for. I really didn't like the coffee in any of the restaurants. In hindsight, next time I take a cruise I will take some of new instant coffee that Starbuck sells just in case (have tasted it and it was really good)

Half Moon Cay: was the absolute best. I have never been to a place that seemed more like paradise. I did take some advice from other posters and walked down past the last cabana. The beach down there was wonderfully vacant and you can still hear the music coming from the band at the busy end of the beach.

St. Thomas: We booked a tour on our own, but ended up being put with the ships tour (same company). It was the 2 hour site seeing, 2 hour Megans Bay and 2 hour shopping. The tour guide was great and the site seeing was really nice. Megan's Bay was great fun for my husband as he was able to snorkle and saw lots of fish (you need to go over to the far end by the rocks). This beach was not very crowded at all (we were the only ship in port) and it was not nearly as nice as Half Moon Cay. They have bathrooms and showers here as well as a place to buy food ($9.00 hamburgers). I suggest you bring food with you from the ship, we ended up just going hungry and it somewhat ruined our experience. We then boarded the bus for the shopping portion. Well they took us to Blackbeards Castle and dropped us off (we were not expecting this). After touring the castle we had to walk about 10 minutes or so (down the 99 stairs) to get to a shopping area. By this time we were so hungry we just got back on the ferry (free with a wristband they give you at Blackbeards Castle) and went back to the ship.

San Juan: Old San Juan was beautiful, much more than I expected. We toured both the forts and ate at a restuarant that was suggested on these boards, Bochina (sp?). This restaurant is also one of the "Carnival Preferred" locations, so it is on their map. The food was fantastic. We had the Mofongo, which we had read about on these boards. We also had the local beer; frozen Mojito's and the Pina Colada (invented at this restaurant). The bill with tip was around $100 (blame it on the alcohol). But definitely worth it. We did some shopping and then boarded the ship. All in all a great day. One thing, we went out on our own and did not take any tours. It might be easier to walk to San Cristobal first then El Morro (sp). We did the opposite and it was quite a trek in the very high heat. (thus why we needed all that alcohol). The reasoning behind this would be that both forts are up hill, but San Cristobal is closer to the pier and from there to El Morro is somewhat level and along the sea wall which has a good breeze. The walk back from El Morro is down hill.

Grand Turk: We again went out on our own and followed some advise from these boards. We went to the right of the ship to the "excursion pier" and then walked through the opening in the fence and along the beach. My husband had a wonderful time snorkeling while I walked the beach and soaked up more sun. It is very rocky here, so swim shoes would be a big plus. Also, stay out of the little grass available...there are sticktights all over the vegetation. If you continue walking down this beach you will find a conch graveyard...dozens on dozens of shells just lying on the beach. After a couple of hours, we hit Margaritaville, ate lunch and sat in the pool (just to remove the salt water) for an hour or so. We then boarded the ship and sat on our balcony to enjoy the view.

All in all we had a great time. One thing we noticed is that Carnival did not have the coupon books that they use to leave in the room for past guests also my husband noticed that they served you the bacon at the buffet instead of letting you get it yourself...hum...a sign of the economy?

The service was exceptional as always and even though we felt the food was average, we both brought home about 5 lbs.

I am going to try and post some pictures of the cabin. If anyone has any specific questions, I will be happy to answer them.

Beinkc

IMG_1703.jpg.bd5ff4d54c2d4ed7c117d62b1c8b2482.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg.8baacf0b892514cd6312a2fc70edffb1.jpg

We usually got up around 7, so we missed most of these. My husband got some great sunrise shots, but he had to go up on deck. I'm thinking that we probably weren't on the sunrise side (or I'm sure it would have woken us up) and we were leaving Port most days when the sunset, so we missed them too. Here are some pictures ( San Juan a day he got up early to get these) but not from our balcony.

beinkc

IMG_1814.jpg.d099e6a825dedcbbdc18c0982ec61028.jpg

IMG_1817.jpg.dc7d2b31406e96c98dfa46b3046b4bda.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg.88c11cfb0cafa28a56cd2fb9c1c27bf7.jpg

I happened to hear a relative of his talking on the stairwell and she indicated that he was doing better and that the doctors thought he may fully recover.

That was a sad thing, something I think we all fear.

Beinkc

We will be on the Liberty, same itinerary in February, in one of the famous Aft Wraps!!!

Margaritaville-is it free to just hang out there?? I thought someone mentioned a chair fee or something?? that is our plan for that day, just hang out there, in the pool and ocean, with the ship keeping close tabs on us.

Thanks!!

Tami

Thanks for the posting the review. A couple of questions, on the fish n chips do you happen to know what kind of fish it was?

The beach in Grand Turk sounds great. Do you recall if there were changing rooms or bathrooms?

No, I am am not sure what kind of fish it was. But it was delicious. Grand Turk does have changing rooms/modern bathroom in several different places.

Beinkc

It did make for a sobering night. Do you know what exactly happened?

Not really. Heard some stories that he was observed by other swimmers floating face down. He was wearing snorkel so they at first just thought he was snorkeling until they continued to watch and observed something that made them realize he wasn't conscious.

Beinkc

We will be on the Liberty, same itinerary in February, in one of the famous Aft Wraps!!!

Margaritaville-is it free to just hang out there?? I thought someone mentioned a chair fee or something?? that is our plan for that day, just hang out there, in the pool and ocean, with the ship keeping close tabs on us.

Thanks!!

Tami

DTC, yes Margaritaville's pool and chairs are free. Also if you get hungry, waiters will be walking around taking food and drink orders.

Beinkc

Thanks for the great review! Did you eat in the MDR or the buffet? Was there any food that you thought was above average?

Jeafl,

We ate in the buffet at breakfast and the MDR for dinner. The lobster dinner was very good and one night I had a breaded shrimp that was very good. Our table mates ate at David's and said it was fabulous. I ordered the flat iron steak one night at dinner and it was incredibly tough, could be caused I ordered it medium.

Beinkc

BeinKc: What was the name of the tour company you booked in St. Thomas? Thanks for the great review. We are 16 weeks out and can't wait!

Lumber, My husband made the arrangements and he is searching his deleted e-mails to find the info for you.

Enjoy your trip, the ports were some of the best we have been to. It was so enjoyable, not like when you have the vendors harrassing you every step you take, like in Mexico and the Bahamas.

Beinkc

Archived