Review 21 day Odyssey cruise.

clarky

Just returned from three weeks on the Odyssey- Istanbul to Athens and would like to share my experience. Alfa, who was on the same cruise for two out of our three weeks has written a great review and I will try to cover some different points. We are loyal Seabourn fans and have done 87 days with the sisters so my review will written from that point of view.

On our first week we were in suite 536 (this cabin has the couch that can be turned into a third bed). A lot has been asked about the balcony at this cabin level. Most of the balcony has a solid metal panel (except for about a foot or two which is glass) but the table and chair set up is the same as the suites on decks 6,7, and 8. We actually loved this suite; it was located close to the laundry, one floor down from the dining room and on the same level as the club, so for us it was very convenient. The other thing to remember with this cabin is that the table (used for room service) is a little larger than other suites that don't have the pull out couch. The couch was also much more comfortable and larger than the couches in other suites. All in all even though the balcony was not all glass we loved this suite. The last two weeks we were in suite 816 and even though it had a balcony with all glass I think I liked suite 536 better. We felt no movement on deck 5 where on deck 8 we did. Deck 8 was convenient to the patio grill and the bar but that for me did not make up for the more comfortable couch, the larger table and to me a smoother ride and a more convenient location. Having said that we are all different and what is better for one is not better for another. The all glass balcony was lovely but we found we really didn't spend that much time out there. The doors to the balcony can not be left open to allow fresh air in unless you put a chair in the way to stop the door from closing and the doors when they close are a little noisy. It was unfortunate that on our first week in cabin 816 when we did want to use the balcony our neighbour was always out there smoking very strong cigars. His wife was sick so he spent most of his time on the balcony. What I really like about the suites on the Odyssey was the placing of the table to do your make-up and hair; so much better than on the sisters where you are blocking the way to the bathroom or wardrobe for your partner. The bathrooms were lovely and I did like the separate shower, however I do wonder how some of the larger guests managed if the soap slipped through their fingers and they needed to bend down and pick it up. The showers are a little on the neat side but for us it was not a problem. The tapware does takes some getting used to. One guest mentioned that their cabin stewardess showed them how the taps worked in the bathrooms but we missed that and it took me a few minutes to work out how to get water to run into my bath. I know, that sounds like I'm stupid but a number of guest said the same thing! I really liked the bedding and having a choice of pillow was great.

The dining venues: We ate at all dining venues and some we liked more than others. The main dining room looks very glamorous and does have the feel of dining in a special venue. There are a few hot spots in the dining room where the air conditioning is a bit weak and some gentlemen had to take their jackets off as they were just too hot. Most tables do not have this problem but like anywhere you find your favourite spot. The Colonade was wonderful at night, in fact it had a more intimate feel inside in the evening, even more so than the main dining area. The "2" dining venue has very funky decor and it is a great change up from the rest of the ship. You either loved it or hated it; we loved it. The Patio Grill, wonderful in the evening and during the day, but it could get busy and noisy during the day.

The entertainment: We loved John B, the cruise director, he was very funny and genuinely friendly. We had sailed with David E and Marla before and enjoy both of them. We loved the Rock the Boat show and it was great to see so many guest up and dancing. We also enjoyed the magician and the comedian. We are not really into the shows so I can't comment too much about them but for us the entertainment onboard was great. Because the ship has twice the passengers as the sisters, they can afford twice as many entertainers - and it was apparent.

Sail-aways: Unfortunately we found the Sail-Aways to be largely non-events on the Odyssey. On the sisters, Sail-away is always a great social activity. On the Odyssey often the only people attending were those groups still playing card games.

The Staff and service: The staff were working very very hard and tried their best to give you the usual high Seabourn service. Most of the time that is what we received but with a high percentage of first time Seabourn staff it is to be expected that this does not always happen. Our starting point was Istanbul and a lot of new staff joined the ship along with us. They stood out from the staff who have been on the sisters. They were not as confident with the guests or with their new jobs. We were told by the Hotel Manager that on the smaller ships it was the policy to give them one week training onboard but they have been unable to do this on the Odyssey. By week three the new staff were very much on the ball, and a lot more confident. We had a number of glitches in service but we know that management are aware of the problems and are trying their best to work on this.

The guests: Although we were onboard for three weeks this was in fact three seven day cruises. We found we made great friends onboard and some we hope to catch up with in the near future. Most of these guest were onboard for two weeks. It is hard for me to compare the guests on this cruise to the guests on the sisters as we have never done a seven day cruise on the sisters - but we did notice a difference. We don't know if this difference was due to the extra discounting, a 7-day cruise effect, or simply because Seabourn marketed to a wider audience to fill more suites. We also noticed groups for the first time. On our first week we had a large group of Japanese guests but somehow they never really stood out. The next week we had a group of Germans and on the last week a group of Thai and Belgium. The only issue with this for me was that at times because they all sat together in large groups for lunch at the patio grill it became noisy. It also did change the atmosphere a bit but with the ship being so much larger there was always some other place to escape the group and a lot of other people to socialize with.

The marina days: I think they need to work on this a little as it got a bit congested and guests were left waiting for a turn on a water-craft and finding themselves in the way. Perhaps signing up for a certain time period would work.

Booking the alternative dining venues: This was a sore point with most passengers we spoke with. You needed to make a booking at 6.30 p.m. 48 hours in advance, and believe me by 6.35 they were all booked up! Some people we spoke with had only eaten in the main dining room once in seven days. I think they took it in turns to make a booking with their friends. One evening I called at 6.33 and the only booking I could get for the Colonade was at 8.30 p.m. As we were onboard for three weeks it was not a huge problem. We ate at "2" twice, the Colonade three times, and the Patio Grill twice. Perhaps when the Odyssey does longer cruises these alternative venues will not be in so much demand but at the moment it is the one gripe most passenger had. Not too sure what the solution to this is. Seabourn guests are not accustomed to being told "No", but when booking these venues, that is what you often get.

One of my favourite places on the ship was at the back of deck 5. The two jacuzzis and the small swimming pool were great and out of the way. The drink service there was attentive and two Bali lounges were great. The pool was a great improvement from the sisters and had plenty of lounge chairs. I had a few massages given by the spa there and an ice cream in the afternoon was a nice treat.

The big question: Do you like this ship or the sisters more? I love the sisters and this ship has some positive points that the sisters don't have: More dining options, better pool and the outside of the Colonade during the day is wonderful, not noisy like the sisters and a lot more shade. Having said that the sisters with only 198 passengers has an intimacy both with regard to staff and guests that you just don't get on the Odyssey. So my conclusion is that I will decide which Seabourn ship to take based on the itinerary. If it's Seabourn then I'm happy, it just does not get any better!

Good review there clarky, I think you took a photo of us when you were with alfa one night in the observation bar, we are from Perth but live in London. This was our friends first cruise ever, and they were absolutely blown away by it, and only the second cruise for us, the first being on the Legend. For us we preferred the Odyssey, I liked the extra dining choices and the real up to date look about all the public spaces, very much like a very smart boutique hotel. Deck 5 was our favourite chillout area as well, quite often we were about the only ones there, you were probably the others there with us! Stuart doing the drinks honours was lovely, as with all the crew, on the ball and always with a smile. Different things appeal to different people, but we will be booking again on the Odyssey, looking at 2 weeks for next year, can't wait! Interesting comments about the difference in cabins, we were in 506 so had the steel bit and was thinking about maybe a deck up to get the full glass, but I don't think it's really worth the price difference given how much time we actually spent there and the minimal effect the steel work had on things, plus the added stability is worth considering as we did get a bit of lumpy weather from Piraeus to Pylos if I recall correctly?

Karen

Thank you so much for posting your Odyssey review! I'm so glad you had a good time and enjoyed the ship. I appreciated your posting of the makeup vanity. I have wondered about it.

I talked to Miss A just this morning ~~she mentioned she enjoyed seeing both of you.

I hope to see you and hubby on a Seabourn sailing in 2010.

Sending a big hug,

Martita B.

Thank you very much for the review. So glad that we are on deck 5. I always prefer to be midships and lower down for the transatlantic crossing. I also don't think that the balcony issue will be a problem for us as we have never had one before, apart from the french balconies on the sisters and while its lovely to have the fresh air they don't really count.

Do you have to book for lunch at the patio grill as well as the evening or is it first come first served as usual?

Thank you very much for the review. So glad that we are on deck 5. I always prefer to be midships and lower down for the transatlantic crossing. I also don't think that the balcony issue will be a problem for us as we have never had one before, apart from the french balconies on the sisters and while its lovely to have the fresh air they don't really count.

Do you have to book for lunch at the patio grill as well as the evening or is it first come first served as usual?

No need to book for lunch, first come first served as you say. The Collonade does some nice themed lunches as well, again first come first served.

Thank you for this interesting review. I have a question concerning the change of suites you have experienced during your trip.

We are in a simular situation in Singapore during our Pride cruise from Dubai to Hong Kong, starting next month. We plan to visit Sentosa Island there while at the same day we have to move to another suite.

Would much appreciate to hear from you how this is organised. Do we have to pack our suit-cases in the same way as during normal disembarkation and wait untill embarkation time before the other suite is available ?

May be we have to cancel our day ashore ?

Thank you already for your reply.

P & W,

Our move was a very painless affair. Just packed my make-up bag and my husband his bathroom essentials and they gave us baskets for the things we had in the draws and they moved us. They take everything out of the walk in closet and move it to your new suite. When you come back onboard you just go to Seabourn square and get your door card updated. We did an excursion the day we moved so not to worry. The housekeeping staff onboard were wonderful.

Miss Martha,

Hope you are enjoying the new Odyssey! We had a nice visit with Miss A and gave her a little something for you. Hope she passed it on. We also mentioned you to John B (cruise director) and told him to expect to party on the crossing.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Bradtarga34,

Or should I say the mysterious Brad. Romeo also had a problem identifying you. About a year ago a neighbour was asking me in the park who we cruise with and I mentioned Seabourn. Low and behold they were on our cruise an unexpected surprise for both of us. Glad you and your friends had such a good time.

Thank you to all who enjoyed my review. The review was written from a view point of a frequent Seabourn guest experiencing the new ship for the first time. We also really loved the new ship, especially the new option for out door eating and would not hesitate to go on Odyssey again but not on a cruise that passengers can book for a week. For us part of the charm of the little ships is to be able to get to know the other guests and when guests are coming and going every 7 days and you have 450 passengers it is a little more difficult to get to meet most of the other guests and I think on longer cruises on the Odyssey we would not feel this way. Having said that we met some wonderful people and had a fantastic cruise.

I forgot to mention how much improved the new laundry is, no more fiddling with a hose to get powder into the machines! I will mention that perhaps the passengers could put a little notice up about the unspoken etiquette in the laundry. I say this because with so many first time guests there were a few issues with missing washing. When I came to collect my washing from the dryer, being aware of when it was to finish my washing was not to be seen. I looked in all the dryers and all the baskets on the floor, no washing. I was not too worried as I knew no-one would want some other guests washing. It turned up a day later on the ironing board. I assume another guest must have put my washing in another dyer (which already had washing in ) to free a dryer up, my washing was not dry but damp, even after two days. The person who put their washing in that dryer must have just taken everything out of the dryer back to their suite. On checking a day later they realized that they had extra washing and returned it back to the laundry. I have no problem taking peoples washing from a dryer if the dryer has stopped, I put it in their bag which a lot of passengers leave on top of the dryer or in a basket but I would never combine someones half dry washing into another dryer! I bumped into a few passenger who had this problem also. There was also a basket full of combined washing that was not picked up. Perhaps it had been moved around like mine and people simply gave up looking for it.

There was another incident I was told of by the person involved that worried me. The guest entertainer had started his show and some guests behind this gentleman were talking very loudly making it difficult for people around to enjoy the performance. The gentleman turned around and asked if they could please keep their voices down. Next thing he knew a man came over and punched him in the arm telling him not to speak to his wife like that and that he would see him outside after the show! The poor man who was punched and is a bit of a light weight to be honest was very worried that he would get beaten up, he made a quick retreat while some of his companions distracted the other man. Not fun as he was actually very worried that he would have to find help from the staff. I know that even on the sisters you can get inconsiderate guests but on these seven day cruises there just seemed to be more than normal. Were were in fact witness to the lady helping, well hindering really the magician, it was rather funny but I think the magician was a little concerned. That lady was later seen bumping against the walls of the passage to get to her suite. She looked very much worse for wear the next day!

What I will say after to speaking to some of the staff we have cruised with several times is that they love the ship. Even with all the work they had to put in and are still putting in to get the ship running smoothly, they are still changing their serving stations around to get things running better. It has been really hard on the experienced staff as they have had to train the new staff when things have been changing all the time to make improvements. They are doing a great job! For people doing the world cruise I think they will find a well run ship with staff that are really excited to be onboard. The 7 day cruises are also very difficult for all the staff as they need to try and remember new names every week and they don't get to know the passengers as well. You notice a big difference when you get to know the staff and they get to know you. I just hope that Seabourn does not have to discount so heavily in the future to fill the ship.

"There was another incident I was told of by the person involved that worried me. The guest entertainer had started his show and some guests behind this gentleman were talking very loudly making it difficult for people around to enjoy the performance. The gentleman turned around and asked if they could please keep their voices down. Next thing he knew a man came over and punched him in the arm telling him not to speak to his wife like that and that he would see him outside after the show! The poor man who was punched and is a bit of a light weight to be honest was very worried that he would get beaten up, he made a quick retreat while some of his companions distracted the other man..."

This indeed concerns me. This sadly seems to be another example of the possible 'downslide' of Seabourn. Seabourn want to attract new passengers to the line ($$$'s), however if I want to witness this type of disgusting behavior perhaps I may just as well travel the mass market lines. Are you listening Seabourn?

Hi Clarky and curlyQ,

firstly Clary, I will never forget how you tracked me down. I still laugh about it. Do you recall I was wearing a Harry Kewell Australian Soccer top when you called out for me. Well guess who I sat next to in Abu Dubai ? :confused:

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. Here I was sitting next to my idol, Harry. Had a great chat to him about life in general as I always do and of course, the oncoming world cup. The wife I think, feel in love with him. Forget what they say about him in the media, he is a great bloke who gave me some time that I will never forget.

Your review of the ship, as expected is balanced with observations that whilst they are easy to improve, they do not detract from this wonderful ship and crew.

In regards to other regret, yes, when guests numbers get to 400 in number, I suppose there is always some clown (or as we call them in Australia "bloody yobbo") who thinks about themselves and no one else. I witnessed one of the incidents and it was embarrassing not just for us, but also their friends in close proximity.

To put your mind at ease curlyQ, the incident Clarky refers to, I witnessed also. I assure you that it was not a person who became part of the cruise due to it being discounted. Whilst no doubting the persons wealth, the person was simply loud and rude. Out of 400 guests, 2 bad apples is really not too bad. The one thing I would suggest however to Seabourn is that for those occasions, maybe a little affirmative action would have assisted the matter.

Sad but it is sometimes needed for the sake of the remaining guests. Back in the mother country, the person would have been thrown overboard in the middle of the night.:cool:

The good thing thou, since returning to the chain gang, the little moments that sometimes annoy you, are drifting off into the distant sunset, while the good times are becoming better and better.

What a great time we had.

Regards

Alfa

I also would like to thank you for your very good review Clarky!

Regarding your observation (I quote) Sail-aways: Unfortunately we found the Sail-Aways to be largely non-events on the Odyssey. On the sisters, Sail-away is always a great social activity.

I surely hope that this will change in the future. I think it will be much better on cruises where there are a lot of Seabourn repeaters and special cruises like crossings and maybe parts of the world cruise. I love sail aways!

And I agree with the person who says bad behaviour doesn't have to do with discounted cruises or people with less money! Even the so called "royalty" or "upper class" people can behave obnoxiously!:mad:

Have a nice weekend all!

Marja

Hi Clarky

I too enjoyed the desciption of your cruise very much. I think the point you raise about being on the ship for 3 weeks when the bulk of passengers are changing every 7 days is disconcerting. Because of the introduction of the Odyssey this effect has also moved to the sisters. We were on the Spirit Aug 29 to Sept 19 and the most that stayed on each Saturday was 50 passengers. From June 6 next year we will have the Sojourn trying to accomodate another 450 people and although many of it`s cruises are for 12 days and in Northern Europe, it will cause more offers needed to fill the 435 suites available in the Med across the 3 ships there.

As some people who have read my trip reports will know, there was a similar incident on our South American cruise, although not as bad by the sounds of the one just mentioned.......I wrote about it in here...didnt say a word on the ship.....and the very next day I had a phone call from the Hotel Manager....so Seabourn do monitor these boards and do know what goes on. As Alfa said...you will always find a couple of bad apples. Just a quiet word to the Hot Man should take care of any problems.....

Bradtarga34,

Or should I say the mysterious Brad. Romeo also had a problem identifying you. About a year ago a neighbour was asking me in the park who we cruise with and I mentioned Seabourn. Low and behold they were on our cruise an unexpected surprise for both of us. Glad you and your friends had such a good time.

Well, you have very good photography skills, so I will post your photo on here once I get my photos downloaded and see if you remember me!

Karen

I know we'll enjoy the Atlantic Crossing ~~so many seasoned Seabourn Sailor's are aboard. I am hoping one of the Odyssey Sailor's will post reviews from time to time. As you know, I don't go in the Computer room when I'm sailing.;)

How thoughtful of you to leave me a surprise! Can hardly wait to see what it is! Thank you! And thoughtful of you to mention me to John B.

Texas hug's sent,

Martita B.

Just one more thing about the 'punching man' and I'll move on. I thought cruise lines these days had a 'no tolerance policy' in effect for this type of behavior. I'm surprised the captain didn't order this fool off the ship for good at the next port and ban him from ever travelling Seabourn again. Other lines have started to do this recently. It will make anyone think first before stepping out of line.

Clarky,

I also very much enjoyed your evenhanded review -- very few things in life are black and white. I have friends who also recently disembarked from three weeks on the Odyssey -- they loved it. They did not think the ship felt two big and especially appreciated the newness and the understated, warm, contemporary interior design. She particularly loved the new dressing table location -- no more having your sweetie hop over the bed while putting on the warpaint. They did notice that the staff was not able to address most passengers by name but that did not bother them at all. Most of us I am sure realize that at some point the little sisters will go quietly into the night and the we will have to consider the bigger sisters.

Martha, can't wait to get your post cruise review!

Chairsin

I'm looking forward to being aboard the Odyssey ~~especially seeing and being with Staff and Crew whom we've loved for years.

Also being with good friends and meeting new ones.

I was very pleased hearing all three Sister's will go into drydock for extension refurbishing. This can only mean that the powers will indeed keep our 'lit ships for a few more years.

I will think of you and Sailor Boy ~~wishing 'yall were with us.

Martita B.

"It was unfortunate that on our first week in cabin 816 when we did want to use the balcony our neighbour was always out there smoking very strong cigars. His wife was sick so he spent most of his time on the balcony."

This one really has me concerned. Is there a "proper etiquette" when in this situation. With no balconies, this was never a concern on the smaller ships. I have been on mass market lines when I could not use my balcony because of the smokers. Is it proper to ask your neighbor to refrain from smoking for an hour so you can sit on your balcony? I would like to hear opinions from smokers. I hate to pay extra for a balcony I can't use. I am not trying to "stir a pot", just wondering if it would be OK to ask for a "smoke free" time. Thank you!

"It was unfortunate that on our first week in cabin 816 when we did want to use the balcony our neighbour was always out there smoking very strong cigars. His wife was sick so he spent most of his time on the balcony."

This one really has me concerned. Is there a "proper etiquette" when in this situation. With no balconies, this was never a concern on the smaller ships. I have been on mass market lines when I could not use my balcony because of the smokers. Is it proper to ask your neighbor to refrain from smoking for an hour so you can sit on your balcony? I would like to hear opinions from smokers. I hate to pay extra for a balcony I can't use. I am not trying to "stir a pot", just wondering if it would be OK to ask for a "smoke free" time. Thank you!

Should you find that answer..I would live to have it..as I have experienced the same frustration.

I don't know if there is an answer.

Two possible suggestions. They may not be practical but maybe could start something.

1. Make every other day nonsmoking on the balcony.

2. Sell the cruise with no smoking on the port side.

My experience with a smoker was on a crossing. It was no smoking on the port side. This man every night early he would go to the club and sit as close to the door as possible and to the center of the room.

Also at tea time he would do the same. Other smokers would sit next to the windows. You had to go through the smoke in both rooms.

Bob

Archived