Self-disembark from Hawaii cruise in LA?

mla925

I'm booking flights for the trip home from our 1/17/2010, and wondering if self-disembark is an option on the Hawaii cruises. I can't remember if it was offered on our Diamond Princess Hawaii trip in 2008 -- we had qualified for the "Platinum Departure Lounge" and wanted to see what that offered. Overall, that dismbarcation was the disorganized event I have ever seen on Princess, and would prefer to avoid it, if possible.

We were able self-disembark on one cruise that returned to SF as the prior stop had been San Diego and immigration/customs was all cleared there. But it was not a option on the next cruise we took -- SF was the first US port, and per the purser's office, not an option.

Anyone off a recent cruise have any info? Thanks!

We did the self disembark on the golden. It seemed like half the ship wanted to do that. Took about two hours. Found out they were disembarking passengers that weren't self embarking through another exit. All the foreign passengers were already off and through customs already.

Was the worst self disembark ever.

On the Golden, we had a 9:30 departure (Last December). Waited in the platinum lounge and when announced we could leave (on time), just walked off. so easy and really not much crowds. Didn't need an earlier departure.

We have done self embarkation. People who sometimes do it really don't have the capacity to do it. We found ourselves being tripped by people . Elevators were jammed etc.

If you are flying from LAX, I would try to avoid booking a flight earlier than say, 12:30. Sometimes the disembarkation process can start late. Sometimes there is bad traffic on the 405 freeway even on a weekend morning...if there's an accident, a car pulled over by the highway patrol, construction, you may be stuck for a while. Then there's security. Just too many factors.

Archived