? Small or smaller

seapenarth

I have not sailed on the Odyssey but have booked. What are the views of those experienced Seabourners who have now sailed both the Big O and the little sisters ? Have they a preference ? Would they go back to the smaller ships ? Is it a question of larger offers more against smaller is more fun ? Or would they use both ?

I have not sailed on the Odyssey but have booked. What are the views of those experienced Seabourners who have now sailed both the Big O and the little sisters ? Have they a preference ? Would they go back to the smaller ships ? Is it a question of larger offers more against smaller is more fun ? Or would they use both ?

David,

Having sailed on the Spirit since we were on the Odyssey, I think we will continue to sail both. They each have their advantages.

In reply to your other question re the laundry (I assume you mean the launderettes and not the actual ship's laundry!) there are two launderettes situated midships on Deck 5 with plenty of room in each (unlike the sisters!)

Shelagh

David,

I agree with Shelagh. I would sail either the Odyssey or one of the triplets depending on itinerary. They are two distinct experiences, each with advantages and disadvantages. For me personally, on the maiden voyage I still felt the same crew/passenger relationships. Maybe that was because there were so many familiar faces among the crew on the maiden. I'll see how that goes on the world cruise. My advice is to go on the Odyssey expecting differences but not looking for them. It is a beautiful ship and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Trivia, btw, is conducted the same way, a fact I'm sure you'll appreciate.

David,

I will sail on both sizes of ship. The Odyssey will improve in time especially after the dry dock, but I would not take a seven day trip on her as it attracts a totally different crowd.I will also sail on the Silversea Silver Spirit to compare both companies larger products.

We would never sail for only 7 days. I think as has been mentioned in previous messages, that the current Seabourn marketing for new customers is leading to many taking 7 day cruises which of course breaks up the continuity of relationships ( in the nicest possible way ) on board. ;)

David,

I will sail on both sizes of ship. The Odyssey will improve in time especially after the dry dock, but I would not take a seven day trip on her as it attracts a totally different crowd.I will also sail on the Silversea Silver Spirit to compare both companies larger products.

I'm curious as to why you would not take a 7 day trip...what type of different crowd? We are taking our first Seabourn cruise which is a 7 day voyage...

I'm curious as to why you would not take a 7 day trip...what type of different crowd? We are taking our first Seabourn cruise which is a 7 day voyage...

You will have a great time,but for some of the more seasoned Seabourners the longer voyage has a different feel and atmosphere.Seven days is never enough as you will find out.

We would never sail for only 7 days. I think as has been mentioned in previous messages, that the current Seabourn marketing for new customers is leading to many taking 7 day cruises which of course breaks up the continuity of relationships ( in the nicest possible way ) on board. ;)

Hmmm...I still am not sure what you mean by this. Explain further please? I'm worried that we may have made a mistake in taking the 7 day. Are "newbies" not considered sophisticated enough for Seabourn? I'm not sure what marketing approach you are referring to. I know for us it was a way to try Seabourn without a very long time commitment in case we didn't like it as much as other cruises we've done. Help!

Hmmm...I still am not sure what you mean by this. Explain further please? I'm worried that we may have made a mistake in taking the 7 day. Are "newbies" not considered sophisticated enough for Seabourn? I'm not sure what marketing approach you are referring to. I know for us it was a way to try Seabourn without a very long time commitment in case we didn't like it as much as other cruises we've done. Help!

I think the point is that a 7-day cruise, particularly on Seabourn, is just not enough! I went on 3 week-long cruises on Seabourn in the Caribbean before I made it onto a transatlantic. On a 7-day cruise you are just settling in, getting used to your surroundings, your fellow passengers (and new friends), and it's time to leave! :( On longer cruises, you can really get a feel for the tempo of your day(s), get to know others even better, and really connect with the crew and staff who are everywhere (if you so choose).

I really doubt that you will leave your cruise and think "boy, I'm glad this was only for 7 days"!! :D And, don't worry...after your first night on board, you are no longer a "newby", as you've started to understand how "we" feel about the constant spoiling, the wonderful food, service & staff that makes the Seabourn experience so special.

Enjoy your cruise!

Paul ;)

Hi again 40cub,

If you look at the thread headed as "Review 21 days Odyssey" you will see what is meant by the 7 day comment. This review was done by good friends of ours "Clarky".

I attended a 14 day cruise and we noticed that the majority of cruisers were on a 7 day cruise. When I asked them why, (as I traveled for such a long time on the plane coming from Australia to Europe to be on the cruise) they all replied, due to work commitments. No once was it due to budget reasons.

I have noticed that some with the cruisecritic committee are surprised with this as they are probably used to someone staying on a cruise minimum 14 days to absorb and to enjoy it fully. I also think, that the traditional Seabourn cruiser is one that has the available time to cruise where work is a secondary priority.

In regards to your choice of ship, Clarky also gives his opinion of the Odyssey and the smaller sister ships. They mentioned many times over a quite drink, how they loved both ships where there were positives and negatives, but nothing that would detract from the experience.

In regards to length of cruise, for me personally 7 days is too short, but it is probably due to the distance I have to travel. If the ship was somewhere near home, I would find it difficult to resist. 14 days was great, yet I was still sad to leave, maybe 21 days for us next time.

Finally, the marketing approach Seabourn are adopting is different to what some had previously experienced. If you view it this way, the previous three sister ships had a capacity of just under 600 number, with the Odyssey it increased to to 1000 which will again increase to 1400 with the new ship next year. Obviously to attract these numbers, marketing has to be wider market and made more attractive to capture new clientele rather than the repeat traditional cruisers.

The challenge for Seabourn is how do they maintain that extremely high personal standard they are known for, as guest numbers increase. From what I witnessed on our cruise, they have tried very hard to maintain it and are doing very well with improvement to occur over time.

I am a product of that additional marketing and am so thankful for it, as I now have become a repeat traditional cruiser with Seabourn.

I hope after your cruise you will become one too.:D

Regards

Alfa

I started with an 11 day cruise and then because of time off had to take two 7 day cruises. It's just not enough time especially if it's a port-intensive cruise. After only 7 days there is the urge to chain oneslef to the railing to prevent being tossed off for disembarkation. I think starting with 7 days is just fine. Don't worry! Just be sure to put an onboard deposit down for a future booking to save 5% which is better than my money market. You can always get it back if you aren't happy. It's also a savings if you can sail for 18 days. That's whyy I retired!

Large, vocal, demanding Doberman at home = 7 day max trips. Any longer and we would have to pay for psychiatric care for the dogsitters afterwards :eek:

Ragnar "dog slave" D.

:pAdd us to the "dog slave" list.

Lilly stays at a 5 star resort (or that what we tell her) when we travel. She stops speaking to us after 8 days and we have to give her all kinds of treats to get back on the good side of her.

On a cruise one builds up relationships and it`s disappointing when they are broken up by 75% of the passengers getting off every week. When I said we would not cruise for 7 days it was not intended as a criticism, as you seem to think, but rather that 7 days was not nearly enough time to take in and enjoy the experience. Even 14 days was not enough and we always sail for at least 3 weeks now. Of course we are retired so time is no problem. You will enjoy 7 days but you would enjoy 14 days so much more.

Large, vocal, demanding Doberman at home = 7 day max trips. Any longer and we would have to pay for psychiatric care for the dogsitters afterwards :eek:

Ragnar "dog slave" D.

You are not alone; several on this BB have similar issues. Fortunately I am not one of them. However, I have no one at home to scratch behind the ears. It's a trade-off, I guess.

Ragnar "dog slave" D.

You say it soooo well! We are one of those of whom Jane BP speaks. Our Weimie was always amiable to OUR needs ..until she had serious surgery this year..which saved her ability to walk..as well as not face her demise. Add that to the fact that she lost her wonderful sister Weimie at the same time...she has gon a bit "Skitso" on us. She has taken to EATTING a peice of favorite apparel in retaliation for leaving her. Three weeks ago it was my cocktail dress..as we dared to go out for cocktails that evening. Last night it was the top to my husband's Ralph Lauren PJ'S..as he dared to play golf yesterday..which would have been fine, except that I went to lunch with the girls. She does her damage while we sleep. I keep my closet door closed now, Don thought he was immune. HA! We had already stopped anything longer than a week cruise..as she suffers separation anxiety. We fear that our dog sitter will lose apparel also..not nice! Strangely..we still adore her..she is 10 years old..and never did this before. :o Lola

You say it soooo well! We are one of those of whom Jane BP speaks. Our Weimie was always amiable to OUR needs ..until she had serious surgery this year..which saved her ability to walk..as well as not face her demise. Add that to the fact that she lost her wonderful sister Weimie at the same time...she has gon a bit "Skitso" on us. She has taken to EATTING a peice of favorite apparel in retaliation for leaving her. Three weeks ago it was my cocktail dress..as we dared to go out for cocktails that evening. Last night it was the top to my husband's Ralph Lauren PJ'S..as he dared to play golf yesterday..which would have been fine, except that I went to lunch with the girls. She does her damage while we sleep. I keep my closet door closed now, Don thought he was immune. HA! We had already stopped anything longer than a week cruise..as she suffers separation anxiety. We fear that our dog sitter will lose apparel also..not nice! Strangely..we still adore her..she is 10 years old..and never did this before. :o Lola

Lola, spoken or should I say written like a true doggy lover.

Those of us who still work full time have difficulty getting away for more than 7 days. We're envious, of course!

One advantage to a longer cruise may be that it lessens the likelihood of a large group or large number of children being on board.

Reading back through these boards it seems there's quite a bit of discussion with regard to this issue.

Those of us who still work full time have difficulty getting away for more than 7 days. We're envious, of course!

One advantage to a longer cruise may be that it lessens the likelihood of a large group or large number of children being on board.

Reading back through these boards it seems there's quite a bit of discussion with regard to this issue.

You are right Gary,I saw a lot of children and big groups on the Odyssey in August.You also get a completely different atmosphere.The crew perform better on a longer itinerary and everyone enjoys it more.But there is a need for the cruise lines to offer seven day itineraries for those that have limited time.

I have only done one 7 day on Seabourn and it seemd like we had just settled in and it was time to leave. Even when I was still working I found that 7 day vacations were just not long enough to unwind. And now with Seabourn while I stay on for more than 7 days my trip is often made up of mutiple 7 day segments. It is a dual edge sword. I can remember on a cruise in the Med a friend and I were standing up by the Sky bar during the boat drill drinking champagne and checking out the new arrivals(hubbies were sitting neaby more interested in discussing their mutual golf games). Anyway, we had made the mistake the night before of saying that we were looking forward to leaving some disagreeable passengers behind the next day. Well be careful what you wish for -- instead of upgrading we picked up a couple of even more disagreeable types!

I have only done one 7 day on Seabourn and it seemd like we had just settled in and it was time to leave. Even when I was still working I found that 7 day vacations were just not long enough to unwind. And now with Seabourn while I stay on for more than 7 days my trip is often made up of mutiple 7 day segments. It is a dual edge sword. I can remember on a cruise in the Med a friend and I were standing up by the Sky bar during the boat drill drinking champagne and checking out the new arrivals(hubbies were sitting neaby more interested in discussing their mutual golf games). Anyway, we had made the mistake the night before of saying that we were looking forward to leaving some disagreeable passengers behind the next day. Well be careful what you wish for -- instead of upgrading we picked up a couple of even more disagreeable types!

Ah! the seven day cruise.

Archived