Help for a frump ...

aruvqan

I've been reading this thread for several weeks and finally decided to jump in with both feet. First of all to Aruvquan, I do understand how you feel. While most people are way too busy with having fun to pay attention to anyone else, there are those who love to sit and judge others. I've been with a couple who sat at the opera critiquing every outfit worn for both men and women. But for the most part these are people who I really don't want to know. They make themselves feel more knowledgable and fashionable by being critics. But this isn't a red carpet, so they need to get over it! It can hurt, but we "fluffy" people have as much right to be happy as anyone else.

My suggestion is look at Jeanne Bice Quacker Factory on QVC. She is a plus sized designer and has a wonderful attitude ie "If you can't lose it, decorate it!" You can find her clothes on line. You don't even need to go to a store to try them on. They are good quality and moderate in price. A sparkly top and some black pants would be fine for formal night. She also has many crop pant outfits suitable for cruises.

For the rest of us, and me included,We need to stop obsessing about how we look and if it will be OK. I enjoy reading these boards and get many good ideas and hours of pleasure from them. And yet here I am obsessing about my shoes for formal night. I have tophius gout and multiple other problems resulting in shoes just not fitting me comfortably. I have never been able to buy shoes because I like the way they look. My shoes all have a decded orthopedic look. I ordered another pair last night hoping against hope that they may work. They don't make too many pretty EEEE! If not its back to pants and my orthapedic Mary Janes! I really would like to wear a dress this time! But it won't ruin my cruise if I can't.

On the other hand if there are any self-appointed fashion police out there who comment on my shoes,SHAME ON YOU!!! Women need to support each other and take time to just enjoy life, for you never know what tommorro will bring or take away.

Well I've ranted long enough. Aruvquan, have fun on your cruise no matter what you wear. And the rest of us, peace and love always!

Thank you Ilouvmypuggle. As for the OP, I'm sorry I tried to befriend you. I have a lot of other health problems and do not get out of the house for a few weeks at a time. Now I know why i haven't heard back from my friend request. I'm off of this post now.

? I did befriend you, you are in my friends list page ...:confused:

Yes, you are there today. :) Thank you.

:D

now we start making the packing lists ... I am thinking of buying a new chair as mine is getting worn. Unfortunately they don't make fancy changable seats so they can match the outfits ;)

Actually properly fitted by me and my husband =) I make elizabethan costuming for fun and profit occasionally. I made the clothing in that picture =)

Elizabethan is more of an ice cream cone profile, it smooths the silhouette. Regency and victorian actually compress to get the various looks [and believe me, unless you body train, pouter pigeon is damnedably intolerable.]

You should think of going again some time. The classes they have are amazing, and the shopping /swoon!

Sorry! We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I also did 16th century costuming, specializing in 1540's. I really have studied, and even attended a lecture by Janet Arnold herself!

It's the lack of breast space that gets me with 16th century. I have found a woodcutting that shows some breast curve, but the extant bodices and formal portraiture are just so flat!!! (I wouldn't even consider late century, since it's all so extreme AND I'm short waisted!)

19th century corsetry is really about smoothing the waist and supporting the breasts...round, high and defined in Regency, uni-breast in Victorian. I admit, the "sway back" of the turn of the century "pigeon" looks uncomfortable. I've never tried it though. Regency is a bonus because you can have the long-line, the waist model or the little "wrap-bra" version...and all are just fabric stays with cording and sometimes a busk.

If you find 19th century uncomfortable, I swear you're not fitting yourself right! Did you create your own patterns or use commercial patterns?

Not the only one...

What's scary is when you can fit a whole GS Troop with halloween costumes, just by breaking out the garb. Haven't seriously done SCA in more than 15. Almost 20 since last Pennsic.

I've been missing it lately! You must too, or you wouldn't have all that garb kicking around! :D I sold most of mine on ebay...it hurt, but it cleared up some space for my fabric stash.

But now...I even started researching new Tudor costuming resources again!

Not the only one...

What's scary is when you can fit a whole GS Troop with halloween costumes, just by breaking out the garb. Haven't seriously done SCA in more than 15. Almost 20 since last Pennsic.

=)

it really helps that I love to sew, and do embellishment. I find it relaxing. I probably should go ahead and just make something and put it on ebay just to keep busy.

Sorry! We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I also did 16th century costuming, specializing in 1540's. I really have studied, and even attended a lecture by Janet Arnold herself!

It's the lack of breast space that gets me with 16th century. I have found a woodcutting that shows some breast curve, but the extant bodices and formal portraiture are just so flat!!! (I wouldn't even consider late century, since it's all so extreme AND I'm short waisted!)

19th century corsetry is really about smoothing the waist and supporting the breasts...round, high and defined in Regency, uni-breast in Victorian. I admit, the "sway back" of the turn of the century "pigeon" looks uncomfortable. I've never tried it though. Regency is a bonus because you can have the long-line, the waist model or the little "wrap-bra" version...and all are just fabric stays with cording and sometimes a busk.

If you find 19th century uncomfortable, I swear you're not fitting yourself right! Did you create your own patterns or use commercial patterns?

sweet jebus the pouter pigeon look about killed me one summer ... I was working on weekends in a recreation village and all i did was sit and sew and chat with people. I heartily recommend you avoid it like the [black] plague!

I am sort of busty and never found the corsetry uncomfortable. The issue is not that it tries to squeeze one down in sizes, it makes you cone shaped. I had more issues with the overall compression in the 19th century corsetry. But everybody is different. Your ribcage may be shaped so you are more comfortable in later corsetry, and mine may be more correct for earlier corsetry :D

Archived