Evening attire

sgmburt

My husband does not/can not wear a tie so does that mean we won't be allowed in the main dining room in the evenings? He feels like he is suffocating if anything touches his neck so he only wears v-neck or button up shirts. This is our first cruise so I am very concerned about this. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Only formal evenings require jacket and tie. I'd add a tie to a button shirt, and wear it "half mast" (very loose) to get in the Main Dining Room on formal night.

There will be lots of posts saying I'm cruel to even suggest he attempt this, ties are ridiculous, HAL's dress code is antiquated, he can "get away with it" without a tie.

The fact remains that HAL's (not my) dress code require coat and tie on formal night, and the Maitre D' (not me) may refuse him entrance without a tie.

As a woman who practiced courtroom law in Canada, I was forced to wear a high necked tight shirt with an uncomfortable tie (along with volumious formal robes I referred to as my Batman outfit). My first reaction was much like your husband's. Because it was my job, I had to adjust. I'm not suggesting it's that simple or that important for him. I'm only saying I know the feeling, and got over it.

If my suggestion isn't acceptable, you can eat in the Lido on formal nights (basically the same menu) or order room service.

My husband does not/can not wear a tie so does that mean we won't be allowed in the main dining room in the evenings? He feels like he is suffocating if anything touches his neck so he only wears v-neck or button up shirts. This is our first cruise so I am very concerned about this. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

That would apply only to formal nights in the main dining room since the MDR is what HAL calls "smart casual" - so definitely no tie - on your other nights. On formal nights there, yes, he could be denied access without a tie if the dining room manager and his staff is enforcing "da code". On the other hand, pax w/o ties on formal night have dined there so it's a bit of a crap shoot. If he is denied entry based on no tie, there's always the casual dinner in the Lido, a nice alternative, and room service.

Don't sweat the small stuff and have a great cruise!:)

Thank you, John, for pointing out formal nights are only 2 of 7.

Sgmburt, I'm sorry if my post sounded argumentative....it re-reads that way to me :o On dress code threads, those who point out what HAL's dress code *is* are often accused of defending the dress code.

My remarks were only meant to inform.

I wonder if a doctor's note explaining the medical difficulty, along with alternative "dressing nicely," would help?

Enjoy the cruise - the Lido or room service are also great possibilities for those 2 nights.

It is not consistent so can't say for sure but I definitely have seen people denied entry to the dining room for not being dressed to code. As long as you know there is some chance he might be asked to not enter the dining room, you can plan accordingly.

On Masdam past April I saw man reused entry on Formal nite no tie. Wear tie to enter, loosen or take off. If Maitre D comes around, complains, put it back on. (we never saw him circulating like on most ships).Also saw them confistating alcohol passengers bought on shoreI believe St. Thomas. They,of course, got it back last nite.

A soft black sweater-shirt with a three button front

and a polo collar. If the neck is large enough, it can be

worn buttoned up without constricting.

It would look sharp under a white dinner jacket.

If he can wear it, a very loosely tied ascot would work. It

is worn with an open collar.

Or maybe a mandarin collar a little large.

"John Vizzone, the designer behind Ralph Lauren Purple Label, suggests three quick and elegant options for overcoming the black-tie blues: an open-neck white shirt (perhaps with a white silk scarf instead of a tie under a classic six-button tuxedo), a black turtleneck with single-button shawl-collar dinner jacket, or a black tunic like a Mao or a Nehru jacket." Marion Maneker, New York Shopping.

What do I know??? BUT

:confused: If a tie is too restrictive for the gentleman, wouldn't a Nehru or mandarin collar also bother him? If he could wear that sort of collar, is it that much different than a loosely tied necktie?

On Masdam past April I saw man reused entry on Formal nite no tie. Wear tie to enter, loosen or take off. If Maitre D comes around, complains, put it back on. (we never saw him circulating like on most ships)..

Good idea. My dad couldn't stand a tie, but was supposed to wear one in his office. He'd keep a tie or two in his desk and put one on for visitors etc.

I have the same problem, but fortunately am a woman.

My late Dad loved bolo ties, and wore them to church and everytime he had to dress up. Thanks for reminding me.:)

Question. Are those bolo ties the kind that cowboys always wore? You know, like Hopalong Cassidy? You could start a trend! You know, like wearing these to work, the market, even Home Depot. I think it could be quite attractive. Maybe. Never mind.

Archived