Anyone Used Quantas Premium Economy?

jajohnson

Looking for flights from LA to Sydney next October...anyone ever used Quantas Premium Economy? Trying to figure out if it is worth the extra cost from Economy or the decrease from Business class. Trying to get the most comfortable yet cost effective travel.

Thanks.

John

On Qantas and United I would go business class, I don't think the premium economy on United would be worth anything extra, only 5 inches of legroom, that's it. I have never travelled premium economy on Qantas. I have travelled business class on both. I am doing this flight next Oct as well and I am looking at V Australia. They're premium economy is like a mini business class and business class is more like first, inflight sit at bar. V Australia is giving the Older airlines a run for their money with great planes and service that works better in the 21st century.

Are you on the Sydney - LA cruise next year on Sapphire?

Anthony

We are traveling LA to Sydney in Premium Economy in November and have been looking at as many reviews as we can find. Interested in getting feedback here as well. At 6’4” the few extra inches are very welcomed. We check every day for business or first seats but will be happy with Premium Economy. It is interesting that the Airbus 380 seems to have upgraded business class seats that are truly lie-flat so we’re aiming for that. Can’t be too picky when traveling on miles though…

On Qantas and United I would go business class, I don't think the premium economy on United would be worth anything extra, only 5 inches of legroom, that's it. I have never travelled premium economy on Qantas. I have travelled business class on both. I am doing this flight next Oct as well and I am looking at V Australia. They're premium economy is like a mini business class and business class is more like first, inflight sit at bar. V Australia is giving the Older airlines a run for their money with great planes and service that works better in the 21st century.

Are you on the Sydney - LA cruise next year on Sapphire?

Anthony

Anthony

Yes, we are on the Sydney to LA in Oct 2010. Wife doesnt want the BTB on the Sapphire so are looking for anything to ease the flight. Thanks for the feedback.

John

Looking for flights from LA to Sydney next October...anyone ever used Quantas Premium Economy?
First tip: If you're searching, you will find more results using the proper spelling of the airline's name: Qantas.

There is absolutely no comparison between Qantas premium economy and United's "Economy Plus". On UA, all you get is a few extra inches of pitch.

However, Qantas has a completely different proposition. The seat is wider as well as having a deeper pitch. There is a separate small cabin, and you are supposed to get a dedicated cabin crew team. The cabin service is pitched at about the Qantas domestic business class level - which means linen tablecloths and napkins, glass, china, metal and full-size bottles of wine. The meals are a stripped-down version of business class.

Overall, it's more like "business lite" than "economy with extras". However, there is still a world of difference when compared with true business class, mostly in relation to the seat.

... I am looking at V Australia. They're premium economy is like a mini business class and business class is more like first, inflight sit at bar.
No: notwithstanding the PR hype, V Australia's business class is just business class. It's fundamentally an offering on the same level as Qantas business class. If you want to look at true first class, look at Qantas first class - particularly their A380 product.

Due to the length of the flight, I would get as much upgrade as possible.

My method is to fly to my US departure city far enough in advance on the day of travel to get a day room at a nearby motel or hotel. I rest, shower and start my trip fresh.

Really helps me!

Flying home I just start flying and keep flying.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry that nobody has answered this question yet.

It will require a bit of agility, but it is definitely possible to step out into the aisle without having to get your aisle seat neighbour to move. (That is impossible in economy, where the only way of doing it is to step on the armrests.)

My personal technique in PE is to turn to face aft before stepping over the aisle seat occupant's legs, as I'm then doing the more natural thing of bending forward at the waist to slide past the reclined seat backs of the row ahead. If you try to do it while still facing forward, there's every chance that you will end up sitting in the aisle seat occupant's lap.

• 2 weeks later...
Looking for flights from LA to Sydney next October...anyone ever used Quantas Premium Economy? Trying to figure out if it is worth the extra cost from Economy or the decrease from Business class. Trying to get the most comfortable yet cost effective travel.

This link has reviews of Qantas flights and seating.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/qantas.htm

This link has reviews of Qantas flights and seating.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/qantas.htm

Reader beware. Skytrax/Airlinequality isn't nearly as unbiased as they say they are!

When I first heard about the site I submitted a few reviews. After having them published some important parts were edited out and some weren't added at all. I've heard the same from other regular travelers who have posted reviews there.

• 4 months later...

We used Premium Economy going from LAX to Melbourne on Qantas and then Economy from Auckland to LAX. If you can get a seat with no one in front of you then I say it is worth it. However, when the people in front of you put their seats back to sleep and you try to get up...good luck. My mom was in the isle seat in Premium Economy and she had a hard time getting up. I was in the window seat and it was not easy. Since the middle arm rest does not pull up (it's more like the arm rest in an older first class plane) it made it difficult. I had the bruises to prove it. Coming home in Economy I had the isle seat and my mom was in the window seat. (I learned going out that the person who is going to be able to sleep needs to be in the window seat.) I was able to get out of the seat easier in Economy. My mom could even get out easier because the middle arm rest came up so you can just slide over. There is definately more room in Premium Economy but I really was fine with Economy coming home. If you have LONG legs then you may want Premium. Sleep wise I actually slept for an hour or two in Premium but I couldn't sleep in Economy. I couldn't get as comfortable as I could in Premium.

Have an excellent trip. Sydney was my favorite city in Australia.

Archived