Asa Wright or Caronie Bird Sanctuary?

Kittycat

We can't make our minds up between these two trips - one is 5 hours and one is 3 - one seems to have more walking and one is on a flat bottomed boat. Asa Wright seems to have more interesting wildlife but Caroni sounds quite good too. Does anyone have an opinion on either of them - we will be there early February.

Thanks.

we have done both of these tours/destinations. i think you will enjoy both. asa wright is visiting a sanctuary where you can take a short guided tour of the rainforest and then sit on the porch and enjoy watching hummingbirds and other birds eating from the feeders.

at caronie, you go out on flat bottom boats in groups and observe the wetlands and then get to the viewing area and wait for the birds to arrive. pretty spectacular when they do all finally come in.

either of these is beautiful in its own ways and your decision really should be based on personal taste and past experience.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

As we approach our 19th cruise, we remember this excursion as one of the best. The walking is not too difficult, but with the humidity, we really took it slowly. A beautiful day.

Have not done the other tour, but are considering it for this year.

• 3 months later...
I want to do the preserve but I have some questions:

How far is it from the cruise ships? ===> Arima. 1 hr. by car. Some traffic

Can you go by taxi? ===> yes, as long as he knows where/how to find it!

Is there an entrance fee? ===> Yes there is. Worth it.

It's a bit of a haul up to the Asa Wright Nature Centre, but it's worth it. :)

Once you're there, paid the day visitor fee

you'll enjoy the comfort of a large old high-ceilinged,coffee-plantation house built around World War 1..

Victorian gingerbread embellishments on the fascia boards, etc.

Ambiance in spades! Back in time,honestly!

-with a bar, chairs on the gallery and a dizzying array of birds like you've never seen before in your whole life.

Walks around the ground are optional.

Asa Wright Nature Centre is among the top five bird-observation places in the world -you'll see! :)

The place is 1,200 ft. elevation up in the Arima Valley.

You won't forget it: We spent 3 days and two nights there!

Sorry I have no photos to show -that was back in the pre-digital-cam. days.

You might as well pay for and stay for lunch, at large circular communal tables. Great fun.

Meet all sorts of people, most Birders with check-lists and huge binoculars!

It'll take up your whole day, because you won't want to leave, trust me.

-----------------------------------

Caroni Bird Sanctuary is an Outdoorsy, completely different, but no less exciting experience

but it's all open air, in a boat (carry a hat!).

I do have a single photo I can offer.

Caroni1.JPG

It's less far-out that is Asa Wright, ergo less traffic (but who cares, he's driving, not you.)

• 2 weeks later...
We did a trip that went to both places,

it was long enough for Caroni Swamp but not long enough at Asa Wright,

I recommend this to everyone!!

Did they do Caroni first, then did Asa Wright second??

• 2 weeks later...

There is no ship excursion to do both of these. Can you do either on your own?? Does anyone know what it cost or how far from port they are??

This is a tough island to figure out what to do!!:confused:

I almost feel like staying on the ship...But we get there after a Sea Day!!LOL

There is no ship excursion to do both of these.

Can you do either on your own?? ===> Jump in a taxi and tell him Asa Wright.

Does anyone know how far from port they are?? ===> Far: thus the ship's tour idea? :)

This is a tough island to figure out what to do!!:confused:

I almost feel like staying on the ship...But we get there after a Sea Day!!LOL

This is one of those destinations where doing a ship's tour (despite the 'expense') makes a ton of sense. ;)

Pick something,anything from their list of offerings

but whatever you do, don't stay on the ship!

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Ship Tour and I must tell you that this has been the worst Drought in 40 years (per our tour guide) we did not see much while walking through the rainforest. The guide pointed out 3 ants and 1 bird!! It wasn't what we expected.

They feed the birds AT the center which was pretty cool...so we did see birds there was also a REALLY big black and yellow lizard walking around!!

There were LOTS of small fires all around the island!!

Infact, on the way back was an extra bonus....A hugh tree fell in the middle of the road...:eek:.no way to move quickly and NO cell phone service. I jumped out with my video camera!!

I was REALLY glad at that point that I had booked through the ship!! The electric wires were down and propped up with pieces of bamboo. We had to take the LONG way home....2 extra hours...which was cool with me though..... we got to go back around the mountain and stopped at Megans Bay where our driver gave each of us a TiTi (one dollar in Trinidad) to take a Pee Pee!!! LOL I also got to try the Shark and Bake sandwich.....So good with Lots of different toppings to choose from!!

The center was Good but dont expect to see much in the rainforest tour!!

Kris

Just got back from Ship Tour and I must tell you that

this has been the worst Drought in 40 years (per our tour guide) ===> Maybe longer..

we did not see much while walking through the rainforest. ===> Not surprising, really!

The guide pointed out 3 ants and 1 bird!! It wasn't what we expected.

They feed the birds AT the center which was pretty cool...so we did see birds

There was also a REALLY big black and yellow lizard walking around!! ===> "Zandolee!"

My wife lives 'in awe' of them :D -OK, let's try fear and horror instead?

There were LOTS of small fires all around the island!! ===> Happens every Dry Season!

In fact, on the way back was an extra bonus....A huge tree fell in the middle of the road...:eek:.

no way to move quickly and NO cell phone service. I jumped out with my video camera!!

I was REALLY glad at that point that I had booked through the ship!! ===> Ah! Logic prevails!

See how easy Ship Happens? :D

The electric wires were down and propped up with pieces of bamboo.

We had to take the LONG way home....2 extra hours...which was cool with me though.....

we got to go back around the mountain and stopped at Megans Bay ===> No. Maracas Bay.

Megans is in the USVI somewhere.

I also got to try the Shark and Bake sandwich...

..So good with Lots of different toppings to choose from!! ===> Richard's Shark and Bake -definitely Maracas!

The center was Good but dont expect to see much in the rainforest tour!! ===> Not in an extreme Dry Season!

Let me point out that you didn't see much wildlife on your rainforest walkabout

precisely because the dreadful unseasonal drought has decimated much wildlife,population-wise

OR they're all hibernated away in damp holes, waiting it out?

Wildlife can't walk into a nearby shop and buy a Coke: they depend on puddles for water supply

and when the rain hasn't fallen in weeks/months, you simply die of thirst if you don't make it to a nearby mountain stream

-if that too hasn't dried up.:cool:

We've only now had (here in nearby Barbados) about 3.5 ins. of rainfall in the previous five days

--presumably T'dad. has had same or more--

thus (temporarily?) breaking the back of the endless drought situation

and so wildlife populations in the islands will now come back some, but it'll take awhile.

By this time next year, all should be well, I hope..

Let me point out that you didn't see much wildlife on your rainforest walkabout

precisely because the dreadful unseasonal drought has decimated much wildlife,population-wise

OR they're all hibernated away in damp holes, waiting it out?

Wildlife can't walk into a nearby shop and buy a Coke: they depend on puddles for water supply

and when the rain hasn't fallen in weeks/months, you simply die of thirst if you don't make it to a nearby mountain stream

-if that too hasn't dried up.:cool:

We've only now had (here in nearby Barbados) about 3.5 ins. of rainfall in the previous five days

--presumably T'dad. has had same or more--

thus (temporarily?) breaking the back of the endless drought situation

and so wildlife populations in the islands will now come back some, but it'll take awhile.

By this time next year, all should be well, I hope..

After I wrote this... the next day I thought to myself...Did I write Magens Bay....then I thought aplmac is gonna be pissed if I did!!! And of course...I did not write Mar-a-cas!!!;) As you told me in the beginning of this thread!!! Thanks for the advice....you never steer me wrong!!!!

Kris

After I wrote this... the next day I thought to myself...Did I write Magens Bay?

....then I thought aplmac is gonna be pissed if I did!!!

And of course...I did not write Mar-a-cas!!!;) As you told me in the beginning of this thread!!!

Thanks for the advice....you never steer me wrong!!!!

Kris

L:DL ! Geeez, I come across as a frustrated school-teacher?

You're probably right,though.

The reality is that Megans Bay is SO popular, that it's easy to mix up M-names while typing this stuff.

All is forgiven! :D

Archived