S&S card another crazy question

jburke1566

I've read tons of posts on this but after booking my cruise and going online at Carnival I'm even more confused than ever.

#1 When I went to do my FunPass on the Carnival website it asks for a credit card or debit card. Is it safe to go ahead and give them this info if my cruise isn't until June 2010?

#2 Which is safer....debit or credit?

#3 If I give them this info, do I still have to stop at the pursers desk on embarkation or will they then already have what they need via what I have done online?

Sorry for the questions....new to cruising and the more I read the more confused I get!

You can fill out most of the info, but if it were ME? I'd hold off on adding that credit/debit card.

Y? Because how many times in the last couple of years have you gotten a letter from your bank saying your card number had been compromised by a vendor? It's too easy to forget that you have a new number...then OOPS!

I've read tons of posts on this but after booking my cruise and going online at Carnival I'm even more confused than ever.

#1 When I went to do my FunPass on the Carnival website it asks for a credit card or debit card. Is it safe to go ahead and give them this info if my cruise isn't until June 2010? Sure, but you don't NEED to, unless you want to have all your docs done now.

#2 Which is safer....debit or credit? Credit. no doubt about it! You don't want anyone having your debit card number! And besides, the fraud protections in credit cards do not necessarily extend to debit cards.

#3 If I give them this info, do I still have to stop at the pursers desk on embarkation or will they then already have what they need via what I have done online? You should not need to stop @ the purser's at any time if you've given them a card. Only if you need to CHANGE your card on file, but you can do that @ embarkation. We did that...changed cards at the pier, not a problem. Did that in the line when they make yoru S&S cards.

Sorry for the questions....new to cruising and the more I read the more confused I get!

Answers in red.

Happy Cruising!

Great answers! So does this sound like a good plan?

Finish up my Carnival stuff online maybe a couple of weeks BEFORE the cruise with a credit card and then I won't have to stop at purser's desk?

Someone also mentioned calling the credit card company and letting them know I'll be on a cruise and to expect some uncharacteristic charges???

If you don't have to stop at the Pursers Desk, where do you get your SS cards? I know I'm SO dumb.

LOL no you're not dumb, just new! So was I in April!

In line before you board for the first time you will go through little "booths" where you will give Carnival your docs and credit/debit cards. They will take your information and make you your Sail and Sign card there. You will take it and go to another line where they take your picture (like the DMV) and they will digitally add your picture to the internals of the S&S card (no pic ON the card...pic is IN the card, know what I mean)...they scan your card and your pic pops up in their computer screen.

Then you take the gangway up to the ship!

*At least that's how they did it in san diego*

#1 When I went to do my FunPass on the Carnival website it asks for a credit card or debit card. Is it safe to go ahead and give them this info if my cruise isn't until June 2010?

#2 Which is safer....debit or credit?

#3 If I give them this info, do I still have to stop at the pursers desk on embarkation or will they then already have what they need via what I have done online?

They only ask for the last 4 digits of your credit card number. No charges are made to your card until you check in at the port.

You only need to go to the Purser's Desk if you are setting up your account using cash. If you don't feel comfortable supplying your credit card number at this point just select cash and when you check in just change it to a credit or debit account.

I use cash because they put a hold on your debit or credit card and do not release that hold until after the cruise. I learned the hard way, on my last cruise it was a week before they lifted the hold. You DO NOT have to use a credit/debit card you also have the option of Travelers checks and good old cash.

On our recent cruse on the Freedom, we did everything on line like we were instructed to do. Upon arrival at the desk at the port, the lady says "How would you like to cover your S&S card"? I replied "We already did everything online", and she replied "That does not matter to me, we do not see that stuff at all. I need a credit card or cash to cover your S&S card please". After handing her the same card that we used online I asked why do we even have to bother filling it out online if it does not matter to you at the port, and she replied "The system won't generate your Fun Pass if you don't". :eek:

Archived