Is it possible to join a cruise the day of the cruise?

beemergal

I have thought about asking a 3rd person to join us in our Cat12 cabin on the Sensation on Thanksgiving Day. The problem is the airfare getting from Dallas to Orlando. It's ridiculously priced now. If she could do a standby flight or something last minute, would we be able to add her to our room when we check in? I know she would be charged the 3rd person rate.

You cant book at the pier, only thru Carnival. the cabin would not only have to allow 3 people, but the max for your muster boat would have to not have been reached as well. (this is not even taking into consideration what it might do to rates and how much it would cost to book last minute).

Waiting until you flew in to call Carnival to book too chancy to me.

If I'm not mistaken I think you have to be booked within a certain amount of time. May 24-48 hours. Something to do with the manifest they give to whoever. I could be wrong tho.

The passenger manifest is vetted by the TSA, I think 72 hours prior to sailing.

If I'm not mistaken I think you have to be booked within a certain amount of time. May 24-48 hours. Something to do with the manifest they give to whoever. I could be wrong tho.

Not true, dont know why folks keep posting this. I just checked with my PVP who says she has booked people the morning a cruise leaves. Wennfred posted he booked the morning a cruise left.

I know jetskier has posted on this subject multiple times, so have I. Here is a post this morning from Steve again on the subject where folks keep posting that you cant book the day of a cruise, as if its a fact.

Homeland security and 24 hours? LOL your PVP just started right?.Many who live near the ports have been offered cruises the same day of sailing so the 24 hours is a load of bull but for homeland security here is the requirment (noting the last line)..........

The Department of Homeland Security proposed new rules back in July that would fundamentally undermine the right of American citizens to travel abroad. Public carriers--airlines, cruise lines, even fishing boats--will be required to submit the names of all passengers to Homeland Security prior to departure and to obtain permission from Homeland Security to board those passengers. These new rules will take effect January 14, 2007.

Current practices already represent a severe restriction on the right to travel. The "no-fly list" dates back to 1990, but Patriot Act I created a new agency, the Transportation Security Administration, that was charged with creating and maintaining a list of people who were not allowed to board airplanes. The list was reported to have contained around 1,000 names by the end of 2001 of people strictly forbidden to fly plus a second longer list of "selectees" who were to be called out of line and subjected to closer searches and intense questioning before they were allowed to board. Many American politcal activists reported that they were on the "selectee" list. These lists of names were provided to airlines who were charged with the task of separating out listed passengers and notifying authorities. In December, 2005, a Swedish airline leaked that the list had grown from 1,000 to over 80,000.

The new procedure will completely eliminate the opportunity for the public to find out how many people are on the list. No airline or cruise company will ever receive a "no-fly" or "selectee" list. Instead of providing a passenger manifest after departure as now required by the Customs and Border Patrol, airlines, cruise lines and other public carriers will have to provide a provisional pasenger list prior to departure. This list will be checked against a Homeland Security list of citizens approved for international travel, and the carrier will be ordered not to board those who are not approved. This is from the proposed rule itself:

Therefore, CBP [Customas and Border Patrol] has concluded that the prevention of a high-risk passenger from boarding an aircraft is the appropriate level of security in the commercial air travel environment. Manifest data received and vetted prior to passenger boarding will enable CBP to attain this level of security. Further, this vetting of passengers on international flights should eliminate the need for passenger carriers to conduct watch list screening of these passengers, upon publication and implementation of a final rule. Accordingly, with this proposed rule,CBP is proposing two transmission options for air carriers to select from at their discretion: (i) the submission of complete manifests no later than 60minutes prior to departure or (ii)transmitting passenger data asindividual, real-time transactions, i.e.,as each passenger checks in, up to but no later than 15 minutes prior todeparture. Under both options, the carrier will not permit the boarding of a passenger unless the passenger has been cleared by CBP.

Seagoing vessels are required to submit their list 60 minutes prior to departure under the rule.

Steve

I have thought about asking a 3rd person to join us in our Cat12 cabin on the Sensation on Thanksgiving Day. The problem is the airfare getting from Dallas to Orlando. It's ridiculously priced now. If she could do a standby flight or something last minute, would we be able to add her to our room when we check in? I know she would be charged the 3rd person rate.

You cannot add a passenger at the pier during check-in. The passenger would have to book earlier and you have to check with Carnival for availability. Your cabin may hold another passenger but the actual booking would depend on whether or not the ship is filled to it's passenger capacity. You don't have to worry about the muster boats (life boats) this is taken into consideration with the capacity controls Carnival has in place.

If you were able to book the third passenger the cruisefare would be the 3rd/4th person rate so no big deal there.

The passenger manifest must be submitted 90 minutes before the ship is due to sail according to the new TSA/Homeland Security rules.

Not true, dont know why folks keep posting this. I just checked with my PVP who says she has booked people the morning a cruise leaves. Wennfred posted he booked the morning a cruise left.

People post it because up until a very few months ago, it was true. The average person doesn't keep up with the constant changes in TSA rules.

The passenger manifest is vetted by the TSA, I think 72 hours prior to sailing.

People post it because up until a very few months ago it was true.

There has NEVER been a 72 hour rule even after 9/11. I dont know why people keep posting it. Before the current rule, the cruiseline had to submit a manifest within 15 minutes of departure. When the rule changed, it changed to submitting a manifest 60 minutes PRIOR to departure.

Unlike the airlines, the cruise industry was not given the ability to add to the list once submitted.

Up until a few months ago it was not true then either because the rule never existed.

Dave

Your best bet is to call the cruise line and ask. I guarantee you, you won't have been the first to have asked.

People post it because up until a very few months ago, it was true. The average person doesn't keep up with the constant changes in TSA rules.

It wasnt true a few months ago, and isnt true now. There werent changes to TSA rules that suddenly make it ok or it wasnt ok before to book the morning of a cruise.

I did talk more to my PVP more who said it would be more work, more difficult to book the morning of, would need a supervisor to ok it, but if they have cabins on the ship, Carnival wouldnt let them go empty if someone wants to pay for them.

People know Im credible, and if Im not sure, I check with Carnival.

Archived