Uniworld "Budget" Operation?

drcpa

Please don't confuse message with messenger.

I asked my TA about Uniworld and got "Uniworld is budget type of product. In river cruising there is, Viking River, Avalon, and Uniworld. Uniworld being least expensive. I hope this helps."

Might someone comment?

Thanks

Please don't confuse message with messenger.

I asked my TA about Uniworld and got "Uniworld is budget type of product. In river cruising there is, Viking River, Avalon, and Uniworld. Uniworld being least expensive. I hope this helps."

Might someone comment?

Thanks

get another TA!

~~~~~~

seriously, From my experience, I've found Avalon and Uniworld to both be first class companies whereas something like Tauck would be a step above... say 'errr Luxury. Viking discounts a lot of times and from what I've read on this board about Viking's handling during difficult times (river water level), I'd put them a rung below Uniworld and Avalon. From what I've read, others put AMA on par with Uniworld but I'll let them speak for themselves.

BTW, my TA highly recommended Uniworld (since we couldn't afford Tauck or Dielmann) but we went with Avalon (which she wasn't familiar with) and couldn't be more pleased. They were wonderful and the food was very good!

We have travelled with AMA, Uniworld, Vantage and Viking. Viking can't hold a candle to the other three. They are the equivalent of a mass market ocean line. I would liken the first three to Azamara and Oceania. Many TAs are not comfortable with river cruises. If you are going to Russia or China, it seems that Viking does a superior job there. Make sure the number of passengers does not exceed 150. The boat then becomes so long that berthing space is not always right downtown. Good luck finding a cruise. We have just returned from our 11th cruise with 2 more planned for next year. Pat

I have cruised multiple times with Uniworld, twice with AMA, and have walked through Viking's ships because I wanted to compare -and there was nothing comparable about Viking to the first two - and there was NOTHING budget about Uniworld. Everything about the Uniworld trips was first class / deluxe all they way - the service, the ships, the food - couldn't ask for a better or more pampered experience. I would suggest talking with a different TA that is more familiar with river cruising.

...to everyone for your responses. I think the issue is the one a number of you have suggested, that the TA -while tops for the ocean cruises-is not well versed for river cruises and is "faking" it a bit.

We were impressed with everything we saw, heard, and read about Uniworld (and were impressed when we called their customer service with some questions), so I was surprised when the TA so quickly wrote them off.

Archived