Mariner of the Seas - Pics and Brief Overview

CL-JW

Mariner of the Seas – Mexican Riviera Cruise Oct 11 2009

Photos:

On-Board

Cabin

Exteriors

We sailed Mariner to Mexico on Oct 11th for our anniversary. This is not intended to be a full review, rather just some observations of our cruise. If anyone has questions, we will try to answer them.

We felt that special “RCCL” vibe as soon as we boarded. We had Captain Johnny and his energy was something to see.

Mariner is in excellent shape. Maintenance was being performed daily. We got some pictures of the Champagne Bar on the 1st sea day. By the middle of the cruise, it had new carpet so we had to get new pictures, as the new carpet was totally different from the previous carpet.

Dining:

We chose to do My Time Dining. Gary at the MTD desk on Deck 5 took good care of us. We had a standing reservation for table for two by the window. Depending on the night, we always had one of two waiters – Ruzario or Mark. Both were wonderful. Service was great and the food was better than we were expecting after reading some reviews prior. We liked everything that was offered. Several nights we had another couple from Cruise Critic at a table by us (Hi Lori & Wayne!) which always made for good conversation.

The food in Windjammer was pretty good as well. We really never had anything that was bad. Note that we only had lunch or snacks there. Breakfast was typically coffee & a quick pastry at the Café Promenade.

We did Chops one night and it was pretty spectacular. Excellent food. We both had the filet. Delicious.

Entertainment:

We didn’t attend any of the parades this trip so we can’t comment on them. We did attend one production show – Pure Energy – which was fair at best. We went to Matt Yee’s Adult Sing-Along in the Schooner Bar several nights and had a blast. Matt is very personable and knows how to work the crowd. Lots of audience participation.

We had a pretty large roll-call going and everyone that we met was very nice. As is always the case, we spent time with more of them than others, but we really liked everyone we met. We had a great group that met up in Ellington’s each day for sail away (Hi Gary, Frances, Bill & Lisa!!). Ok – we met there on non-sail away days too :) Our friends Dianne & Bill (Hi!) who we sailed with to Hawaii also were on board and it was nice to see them.

Itinerary:

Our itinerary was rearranged courtesy of Tropical Storm Patricia. Instead of Cabo on Tuesday, we went on Friday. Mazatlan and PV were still in the normal order. We had great weather in all ports. It was hot & humid, which is to be expected this time of year. Cabo was just warm – not really humid. The water was very warm.

Diamond Lounge:

Each evening the Dragon’s Lair was used for a Diamond Lounge from 5-8PM. Free merlot, chardonnay and champagne was offered. Soft drinks and cocktails could be ordered at a 25% discount. The lounge was never very full but I think it’s because people weren’t sure where it was. Later in the cruise more people showed up. We enjoyed pre-dinner wine/champagne there most nights. Service was excellent.

Overall, service on-board was very good, from the Windjammer to the Bar Service at the pool decks. Our cabin attendant, Vivian, was wonderful.

We really enjoyed Mariner and would recommend her to anyone wanting a fun cruise.

Thank you for your review/comments. What did you do in each of the ports?

Cabo: We took a water taxi over to Medano Beach and had breakfast (and margaritas) at The Office on the Beach. Spent some time on the beach just walking in the surf and enjoying. Then took another water taxi to the arch and lands end. Then back to the Marina where I held a lion cub.

Mazatlan: We had spa treatments at the Aroma Spa.

Puerto Vallarta: More spa treatments. We went to The Blue Massage Spa in old town. We've also done the Krystal which is a short walk from the ship. We then did lunch at Oscars just south of the Malecon.

cl Do you remember the time difference in PV. I want to book a tour at 9:30 PV time but ship says arrives at 8. I assume that means ship time not PV time. So I doubt I will make it in time for a 9:30 tour. Do you remember? Or anyone else.

cl Do you remember the time difference in PV. I want to book a tour at 9:30 PV time but ship says arrives at 8. I assume that means ship time not PV time. So I doubt I will make it in time for a 9:30 tour. Do you remember? Or anyone else.

8 Ships Time = 9 PV Time.

double post.

I was actually thinking about going on one of the Med. cruises but this one was quicker and better priced since I live in Las Vegas and can drive to LA figured I would save some money and book my Med cruise next year. Have a great time.

My DH & I are looking forward to our 1st Voyager Class, when we sail on the Mainer April 10, 2011. Prviously our two RCL cruises have been on the BOS ( 2004) & ROS ( 2008)

We've done the Radiance and love that class of ship. Voyager class ships are very different, but we really like both classes.

Great pictures of the ship. This is me and my husbands first trip with Royal Carribean. We were on the Holland Oosterdam last October and were not to impressed. We here this ship is 100 times better and your pictures showed so much of the ship...I can hardly wait to see it in person!

Great pictures of the ship. This is me and my husbands first trip with Royal Carribean. We were on the Holland Oosterdam last October and were not to impressed. We here this ship is 100 times better and your pictures showed so much of the ship...I can hardly wait to see it in person!

Glad the pics help. We found when we started cruising that we could not find a lot of pictures of the ships themselves. There were lots of vacation pictures but we were looking for more detailed photo-logs of the ships.

Enjoy your cruise!!

How did you like the Aroma Spa? I was considering doing that in Mazatlan....

Aroma Spa is definitely worth doing. It's not much to look at, but it is clean, and the treatments were nice. The captain of our ship was just going in for a massage as we were leaving:)

Archived