Need help selecting Alaskan cruise

westcruzer

I am starting now to plan for an Alaskan cruise for our Anniversary in May. I haven't decided if I will book for 2010 or 2011. I have looked into Princess and had them send me their literature. What they have looks great! It looks as though they have 5 different ships with a couple different itineraries. Any help on the different options available would be VERY helpful.

I am starting now to plan for an Alaskan cruise for our Anniversary in May. I haven't decided if I will book for 2010 or 2011. I have looked into Princess and had them send me their literature. What they have looks great! It looks as though they have 5 different ships with a couple different itineraries. Any help on the different options available would be VERY helpful.

You'll have to decide in you want to do a round trip (out of Seattle or SF) or an one-way (southbound or northbound...usually between Whittier and Vancouver).

Considerations include where you want to fly to and out of. As far as I know, the only way to get to Whittier is by plane or by boat/ship as there are glaciers around that prevent driving in (I could be wrong about this but I know some Alaskan cities are like this, for example, Juneau).

Round trip flights into Seattle would be the least expensive.

Another consideration is whether you want to do a cruisetour before or after your cruise. Most of the time, these are attached on the one-way cruises, depending on which end you're starting the cruise.

Most of the cruises are one-week long (the RT out of San Francisco is 10 days)

There's also the a two-week RT out of Seattle that looks awesome:

http://www.princess.com/pb/searchResults.do?time=239&trade=A&ship=RP&duration=2&port=&date=&orderBy=&filterBy=&resType=C&pageOffset=

Some of the ships have the same itinerary' date=' just different departure days of the week. And possibly different size ships.[/quote']

I noticed that.....I guess what I am looking for is for people who have cruised or have had friends that have cruised let me know which they feel is better and why?

My personal favorite is the Golden Princess (Sapphire or Diamond) if they're doing it, are also wonderful ships.

Leave out of Seattle, do the inside passage.

In Juneau - Do the Mt. Roberts Tramway

In Skagway - Do the White Pass Railroad

In Ketchikan - Take a tour of the town

In Victoria - Don't miss the Gardens and the Butterflys

I think I've covered most of it.......We loved it....so will you.

And we went when the weather was very "iffy". You'll be going when you'll be able to truly enjoy the flora and fauna. We had a lot of rain, wind and cold.

1. Vancouver to Whittier- you can fly to Seattle then in to Vancouver or- stressfree- easy- is train to Vancouver- you see more of the "inland passage" on this trip- plus part of "up north"- which has very different landscape. Whittier is accessed via highway or train from Anchorage- there is a tunnel that both train and cars use- they alternate the use. It is a very lovely trip either way you choose to go- there is a train station at the Anchorage airport- if you choose to fly into there- and affords very easy to access. Either way you would see more of Alaska. Princess has wonderful land tours with great resorts. That you can go either a week or so early to Anchorage and take a land tour- or at the end of the cruise. Personally- I would think taking the land tour first- then cruise and relax on the way back would be lots of fun.

2. Seattle round trip- you will see less of Alaska. But is cheaper on airfare. You will see the highlights of Southeast Alaska. rlb

It is a personal decision as to which is best for you and your travelling companions. Many people insist the one-ways are the only way to go for an Alaskan cruise.

For my family, we needed to do the round trip. We took the train up to Seattle and went on the Sapphire Princess in August 2004 when it was brand new. We got to Seattle when they were having a rare heat spell, but that changed after we were on the ship and had day time temps in the 60s and a lot of rain and fog. But we were able to cruise the Tracey Strait and that was definitely something to be out on your balcony or up on deck for early in the morning. Every Princess ship will have a naturalist onboard for the glacier cruising and you'll be able to hear the narration over the PA system.

We booked a tour in Ketchikan at the dock. Saw the Saxman totem village and other sites. Hubby thought the trolley was uncomfortable. There was an option near the end of the tour to either get out and tour the "downtown" part on your own or get a ride back to the dock. We choose to get out as I wanted to check out Dolly's House and we wanted to do a little shopping. It was raining by that time.

In Juneau, we just walked around and did a little shopping. The town is within walking distance of the dock.

In Skagway, we had booked a van tour up the pass through the ship for the afternoon (it goes across from the train, but the van was very comfortable. The tour guide/driver would stop every so often so we can get out and take photos of the beautiful scenery. He was an excellent guide, telling us about the history of the gold miners). In the morning, we walked around the town and ended up following a ranger giving a tour. The tour ended up at the Moore house (he founded the town late 19th Century) and we checked out that building, which was interesting.

In Victoria, it was pouring when we got there. We took the shuttle bus (it was $5 or 6 at that time) to the Empress Hotel. Looked around there and then walked to the Miniatures Museum, which we enjoyed. It had stopped raining by then and we did some shopping and then caught the shuttle back. The one ways don't go to Victoria and the round trips out of Seattle don't go to Vancouver.

We have done three RT out of Seattle. One that included Glacier Bay, one that included Hubbard Glacier and one that was suppose to go to Sawyer Glacier but we didn't make it in due to ice. We are booked on the Diamond Princess next September leaving from Whittier and going to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. We love going to the glaciers and since the southbound goes to both we jumped on it. The scenery is spectacular no matter which glacial area you go to. Even going through Tracy Arm attempting to see Sawyer Glacier was beautiful. We go to Alaska for the scenery. We usually go in September so we don't see alot of the wildlife but scenery is awesome. We chose September because there aren't many kids on board (love kids, just want to get away from them for a few days) and we don't mind the cool weather. Being from Minnesota and transplanted to the heat of Texas we are used to cooler temps and we look forward to the cooler temps because when we leave Texas it is still plenty hot!:)

A round trip that makes it all the way to Hubbard Glacier and back?????

If that exists, then that would definitely be a consideration.

But, I don't think I have seen any one week, round trip, itineraries that make it that far.

I had also recently looked at Alaskan Cruises....

I think it is true that most round trip cruises do not go far enough to hit many of the destinations.

If there is an itinerary that covers both Glacier Bay and Hubbard... That would be ideal.

I think when I was looking at airfare from where I live, it was cheapest for us to book a simple round trip to Seattle, and then completely separately book a ticket from Whittier/Anchorage back to catch your round trip return flight.

Yep, the flights on a one way are daunting and cost more.

It is up to you whether the itinerary of a one-way is worth it.

If getting to Glacier Bay alone, and then round trip back to Seattle is satisfactory for you, then yes, a round trip from Seattle is the easiest and cheapest.

The trip we have booked going to Hubbard and Glacier Bay next September leaves from Whittier and goes to Vancouver. We are flying from DFW to Anchorage and then driving from Vancouver to Seattle.

We did a RT from Seattle last year on Holland America that went to Hubbard Glacier. I don't know if they are doing that itinerary next year.

We have returned (Darn!!) from Diamond's 22-day Vancouver>Whittier>China. We had a great day on Princess' Yukon Expedition & White Pass RR. You take a bus to Carcross Yukon & hop on the train in Fraser BC for the return. You see the pass from both sides this way. Highly recommend.

Steve

I have been on several Alaska cruises and here is just my opinion. Glacier Bay is gorgous - we went the first week in June and had fantastic weather with not a cloud in the sky, just beautiful. That cruise which was our first left from Seattle which is where we live so no costs to us for transportation. The second cruise we left out of Vancouver and did Tracy Arm - nice cruise but Glacier Bay was my favorite for seeing glaciers. Also, that cruise did not stop at Skagway which was my favorite stop on our first cruise - train ride in Skagway a must. Also 2nd cruise stopped at Port Roberts vs Victoria.. if you have never been to Victoria you really should go, its one of my favorite BC cities.

OK, now that I have said all of that, while I have never cruised all the way up to Seward or Whittier I have spent time in that part of Alaska while my son was stationed in Anchorage in the Air Force. I tell all my friends tht they need to visit Anchorage and Juneau because they gorgous with a great small town feel. Anchorage feels like the Seattle of my youth. So my end recommendation would be to take a one way that goes to Glacier bay, stops in Skagway and ends up north - from there if you can manage and extra week then take the train from Alaska to Juneau going through Denali for a full understanding of all that Alaska has to offer. Believe me, I never had a desire to go to Alaska but after my first visit it's where my husband and I would like to retire.

All of this is just my own opinion.

We have done Vancouver to Whittier twice once on Dawn & once on Island. Once in Aug & once in May - weather was great both time. Both ships were great but Island was a little smaller. Princess has it set up that if you book your flight with them, they fly you into Vancouver and express you thru customs. This was great since the custom lines were really long and we didn't have to wait in them. We went back the second time because we wanted to see more and the best way to do that is to take a land tour also. Hoping we can go back again and see even more. Loved Ketichan and Skagway the best. Glacier Bay is beautiful.

Any one you take you will not be disappointed.

I would suggest doing a land tour as well. We did one with Princess in May of this year and it was terrific! They have the entire system down pat! We chose to do the land portion first, then boarded the ship in Whittier and the cruise ended in Vancouver, which is a wonderful city and worth some additional time at the end of a cruise if you can do it.

We had 2 nights in Denali and 1 night at Mt. McKinley, both of the lodges that Princess own in those locations are very nice. We had the train transportation between those land destinations and really enjoyed that aspect as well.

We had been on just a cruise to the Inside Passage before (twice, both times in mid September, the last cruises of the season) and enjoyed including the land portion! We plan to go back and go to the other 2 lodges Princess have in Alaska the next time.

As others have said, you will have a wonderful time no matter what you choose to do and which ship you are on...we were on the Island and the Diamond and then once with Celebrity on Infinity. LuAnn

My DW and I went on the Seattle round trip in September. The cruise was great. If you don't mind spending extra bucks you will see more of the interior portions of Alaska by taking the Whittier to Vancouver cruise.

You see glaciers and scenery on the Seattle round trip. If you are interested in seeing them up close the trip through Glacier Bay would be better.

I think the decision is one of personal preference and my preference is a one way cruise, southbound. As another poster mentioned, anytime spent in the interior is a great opportunity and I found it better to do that on the front end, then cruise southbound to Vancouver where it was more relaxing. The one way cruise does allow more opportunity for the more northern glacier parks. I also found the short trip from Anchorage to Whittier (Seward is where HAL embarks) a beautiful and intersting trip. No matter what your final choice, cruising anywhere in Alaska is an incredible journey.

Depending on your time line.

Highly recommend a cruise land package. We have cruised to Alaska twice. Once on NCL SKY round trip from Seattle and this past August Island Princess for a cruise land package. Both were enjoyable. Northbound from Vancouver to fairbanks

But the best was the one with the land package.

We did glacier bay and college fjord, spectacular. We snorkeled in ketchakan, played golf in the yokon and did a poto op in Juneau. Saw Mt McKinnley in all its glory. stayed in Mt Mckinnley/ Denai / Fairbanks.

Last cruise did the helicopter to Mendenhal, a catamaran to haines and saw wild life.

Hope this is a help!

Princess has it set up that if you book your flight with them, they fly you into Vancouver and express you thru customs. This was great since the custom lines were really long and we didn't have to wait in them.

Don't know what happened w/ our cruise, but USDirect wasn't in use, & we had to go thru Canada & US Immigration. Well, at least I finally have a Canadian Entry Stamp in my passport.

This is what we did and we loved it:

Flew to Anchorage (from S. Florida) 3 days before sailing. Used hotel points for two nights at a Marriott Courtyard near airport on shore of Lake Hood. Rented car and saw area, including Denali, on our own. Hired van service to get us from Anchorage to Whittier where we boarded Coral Princess (beautiful ship) for a Monday departure on southbound Voyage of the Glaciers which included College Fjord and Glacier Bay. At end of cruise, we spent 2 days in Vancouver which I highly recommend. Again we used hotel points to stay at Hyatt Regency. We had learned that it was significantly cheaper to fly home out of Seattle than Vancouver, and thereby also avoid the horrible Customs ordeal of Vancouver airport. Found a great way to make this work. We booked tickets on Amtrak's Cascade Limited from Vancouver to Seattle. It is a nice double-decker train that leaves Vancouver at 6pm each night for the 4 hour ride to Seattle. The entire ride is along the coast - I mean literally along the coast. The right side of train rides along water's edge. It is peaceful, relaxing and beautiful. It is also only $28 pp. And it is by far the easiest and quickest way to go through customs. You don't even leave your seat. Stayed at another Marriott on Lake Union (again with points) and spent the whole next day seeing Seattle before we caught our redeye back to Florida.

Of all our cruises and international travels, this trip tops the list for us.

By the way, we sailed in mid-May on the first southbound voyage of the year. No crowds, lots of gorgeous snow everywhere, no mosquitos. Simply fabulous!

We are booked on the Island southbound on a monday itinerary. Here were our thoughts:

1. The biggest was this is the first year and only line that goes to BOTH Hubbard and Glacier Bay, that pretty much clinched it for us. The northbound goes to College Fjord.

2. I came here and asked ship opinions and while the coral and island are sister ships, most said island.

3. a monday departure gives us an extra day to explore anchorage.

4. We wanted to port in Vancouver as Seattle goes outside the island and is reported to be potentially rougher and less scenic.

Happy planning!

Considerations include where you want to fly to and out of. As far as I know' date=' the only way to get to Whittier is by plane or by boat/ship as there are glaciers around that prevent driving in (I could be wrong about this but I know some Alaskan cities are like this, for example, Juneau).

http://www.princess.com/pb/searchResults.do?time=239&trade=A&ship=RP&duration=2&port=&date=&orderBy=&filterBy=&resType=C&pageOffset=[/quote']

The Alaska Railroad and cars can both access Whitter from Anchorage by car. The drive/ride along Turnagain Arm is rated as one of the most scenic drives in all of America. Just before you get to Whittier, you go through this crazy, very long one-lane tunnel. There is also a highway between Whittier and Seward to the south if you sail out of Seward.

Archived