Luggage advice, please?

Sailaways_

Kathy, Delsey is the manufacturer of the Hyperlite luggage. It came yesterday and I love it; one is a regular 25" suitcase and the other a 26" rolling duffle that holds my closet! Very well made and impressive luggage. Impressive in the sense of the look and quality.

I had some Delsey pieces but gave them to our BIL, we just have too much luggage at our house :o I bought them as a set, but the pieces were all so small, I think I got them on ebags several years ago.

We shipped out the last of the Hartmann Wings collection a couple weeks ago, it was my personal fave. My fave is now Brics newest...the Safari collection. I could only find it on an UK site:

http://www.uk.forzieri.com/usa/all_cel.asp?chkDove=name&chkDove=pf_id&chkDove=description&dept_id=20&find_spec=Brics+Safari&l=usa&c=gbr

or Italy: http://www.brics.it/

In person it is gorgeous :)

Another pic on ebags: http://www.ebags.com/brics/safari_27_trolley_with_suiter/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=130624&productid=1337950&sourceID=JELLYFSH01

We saw Bric's luggage all over Italy when we were there. I think I notice more than other people may.

Kathy, Delsey is the manufacturer of the Hyperlite luggage. It came yesterday and I love it; one is a regular 25" suitcase and the other a 26" rolling duffle that holds my closet! Very well made and impressive luggage. Impressive in the sense of the look and quality.

I took a look at the Hyperlight, all I can comment on is the appearance since I can't feel it and look through the compartments to compare materials.

Pack your heavy stuff on the bottom, closest to the wheels in back. This type of case can topple over forward if you pack it too heavy on top. The expansion zipper is in back of the support stands, that is a good thing. Rip stop poly can be surprisingly strong, but I'd line the piece with a large plastic baggie in case it comes in contact with any liquid.

My daughter has Kipling luggage, also rip stop poly, and it is holding up amazingly well. Wipes clean with a damp cloth!

The only other piece of advice I might give you is that your piece looks like it doesn't have a lot of framing (which is how they keep it lightweight), so don't pack breakables in a checked piece.

Gott go and let the kid finish her homework on this computer....I can blather on forever about luggage ;)

Enjoy your new luggage!

Good luck with your choice of luggage. I travel 6 months out of the year and all the luggage handlers are so hard on everyone's luggage. It doesn't matter if it is Domestic or International. You also have the elements of the weather to deal with.

OceanDreams

I bought a 30 inch polycarbonate Jaguar brand suitcase. It is not at all practical in that it does not fit in standard car trunks. That suitcase and everyone else is out of the trunk. I did find a use for it today! I packed all the Christmas packages for grandchildren in it:D Throw it in the backseat for the drive.

I replaced it with a Heys 24 inch clamshell polycarbonate. I can handle this suitcase so easily -- spinners, guaranteed not to overpack because of size, suitcase weighs only 6 pounds empty. I bought it at TJMAX for under $50. My experience with frequent travel is that I have had expensive and inexpensive luggage mauled by the luggage handlers. I prefer the "good enough" and if it gets mistreated I buy a new one. Disposable suitcases I guess but still at $50 that is maybe $20 per year of use on average. Good enough. I have adjusted to clamshell by using larger zip lock bags to keep smaller items under control but then I did this before. To keep it from rolling on the parking lot bus I slide it on it's side.

If you only travel a couple times a year, I'd buy a middle of the road (Samsonite, Swiss Army, Delsey, etc).

I was a road warrior for years flying over 100,000 a year and had to have good luggage. The only thing that stood up to the brutal wear and tear was Tumi.

That said, I also have a Nicole Miller carryon that really has held up well however she hasn't done luggage in at least ten years. I don't know who the actual manufactuer is (Jane? Curt?).

No luggage except really high end stuff will stand up to multiple years of baggage handlers and abuse.

Also, if you overpack, that strains the luggage and the baggage handlers will purposely beat up luggage over 50 pounds.

My husband had a brand new expensive suitcase (not sure of brand now) for our trip to Costa Rica in 1993. When we went to the door of the luggage room at the local airport the suitcase was ripped across the whole top and stuff inside was hanging out. We asked what happened through our guide who spoke Spanish. The chicken tore it up! Seems that they had a wire cage to ship live chickens to farmers in the region and my DH had the misfortune to be the suitcase under it!:eek: No I did not try to get insurance for that one. Some things just are not within the control of the airline!

If you only travel a couple times a year, I'd buy a middle of the road (Samsonite, Swiss Army, Delsey, etc).

I was a road warrior for years flying over 100,000 a year and had to have good luggage. The only thing that stood up to the brutal wear and tear was Tumi.

That said, I also have a Nicole Miller carryon that really has held up well however she hasn't done luggage in at least ten years. I don't know who the actual manufactuer is (Jane? Curt?).

No luggage except really high end stuff will stand up to multiple years of baggage handlers and abuse.

Also, if you overpack, that strains the luggage and the baggage handlers will purposely beat up luggage over 50 pounds.

I actually just bought 2 Nicole Millers on Amazon yesterday. I'm not sure how I'm going to like them but I just realized that they may be to big to bring on Carnival. Does anyone know how strick they are with the size of laugage they allow on board? I was so conserned in trying to find something that the airline would allow that I never thought about the ship. I just read on Carnival that check baggage shouldn't exceed 24wx16h. The bags I ordered are 28 x 10 x 18.

Should I cancel my order or will they allow them? HELP!!

I actually just bought 2 Nicole Millers on Amazon yesterday. I'm not sure how I'm going to like them but I just realized that they may be to big to bring on Carnival. Does anyone know how strick they are with the size of laugage they allow on board? I was so conserned in trying to find something that the airline would allow that I never thought about the ship. I just read on Carnival that check baggage shouldn't exceed 24wx16h. The bags I ordered are 28 x 10 x 18.

Should I cancel my order or will they allow them? HELP!!

Cruise lines are not strict on luggage like airlines are. Most of them (check your cruise line) allow 200 lbs. per passenger. I have no idea where you got the 24" rule, re-read and check to see, it may be the maximum for hand carried luggage going through the scanners.

The bags you ordered are large, be careful not to overpack them, they can easily reach the 50 lb. limit for airlines, especially if they weigh a lot to begin with.

We just weighed our cases last week after packing (driving to port), the heaviest was 52 lbs., my son is 6'4" and wears large clothes and very large shoes, so his was the heaviest. It was a 27 inch case packed to the hilt and expanded. So, a person would have to have 4 large, heavily packed suitcases to reach the maximum weight and it would be ridiculous to carry that much on anything less than a full world cruise.

I bought a 30 inch polycarbonate Jaguar brand suitcase. It is not at all practical in that it does not fit in standard car trunks. That suitcase and everyone else is out of the trunk. I did find a use for it today! I packed all the Christmas packages for grandchildren in it:D Throw it in the backseat for the drive.

I replaced it with a Heys 24 inch clamshell polycarbonate. I can handle this suitcase so easily -- spinners, guaranteed not to overpack because of size, suitcase weighs only 6 pounds empty. I bought it at TJMAX for under $50. My experience with frequent travel is that I have had expensive and inexpensive luggage mauled by the luggage handlers. I prefer the "good enough" and if it gets mistreated I buy a new one. Disposable suitcases I guess but still at $50 that is maybe $20 per year of use on average. Good enough. I have adjusted to clamshell by using larger zip lock bags to keep smaller items under control but then I did this before. To keep it from rolling on the parking lot bus I slide it on it's side.

The real problem with cheaply made luggage is not that it is disposable and will have to be replaced sooner than a well made brand, is that the contents are not very well protected if it is trashed by the airlne/cruise ship/train, or any common carrier.

I've seen many cases come down the conveyor belt ripped apart and clothes strewn about. I've seen many cheap suitcases held together by duct tape at the airport.

Luggage is something you really need to compare in person. Unless you know a brand there is no way you can know how the fabric feels, how well the zippers are moving and how protected they are from abrasion. Ordering online is fine if you know the product, otherwise like any other product, you are in for a surprise upon arrival.

Just because a product costs more doesn't make it better quality, either. I noticed a piece of Kate Spade luggage in one of their stores and looked at it, unzipped the bag, felt the zippers, the wheels, the braces and it was as cheaply made as a Ricardo or Liz Claiborne piece, at 10 times the price.

I've said it before and I'll continue to say it, the only thing cheap luggage and better quality luggage have in common is the rectangular shape. I have no problem with people buying or wanting inexpensive luggage and understand they don't always need the best. But if you value the contents of the bag you will want to protect it from damage...not just the suitcase.

Cruise lines are not strict on luggage like airlines are. Most of them (check your cruise line) allow 200 lbs. per passenger. I have no idea where you got the 24" rule, re-read and check to see, it may be the maximum for hand carried luggage going through the scanners...

This is from the carnival website.

Do you have luggage restrictions?

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

This is from the carnival website.

Do you have luggage restrictions?

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"h x 24"w x 30"length. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"w x 16"h. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

OK, when I read the post I was thinking it was a 24" length, not width. The size Carnival mentions would be an over-sized for most airlines, many have a 62 linear inches maximum, the case they mention is 70 linear inches. Other cruise lines state they have a limit of 200 lbs. per person, Carnival is lower (but I cannot imagine why anyone needs to take 100 lbs. of anything with them on a cruise :))

If that bag is over weight as well and you are flying, you would also pay both oversized and overweight charges, around $150 per bag each way. Oversized bags such as that measurement will cost upwards of $100 extra each way if under 50 lbs., after paying for the ridiculous to begin with luggage fee :rolleyes:

BTW, their final sentence doesn't make much sense to me...a case with 24" width and 16" length??? Suitcases have 3 measurements, height, width and depth. We do have cases similar to those measurements, east/west rolling garment carry ons, not many people want those.

just thought I would throw this in here. Last week on the Today show, they had this woman representing a consumer magazine, can't remember which, she was giving the best of expensive items and reasonable items

in the suitcase category they ranked expensive tumi the best, reasonable best was delsey.

I have been very satisfied with my helium light delsy bought some from ebay, some at ebags and some at tj maxx.

now on the hunt for the perfect underairline seat bag with wheels for my personal items.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Didn't see TravelPro luggage discussed so thought I'd throw in my two cents. I bought a 24" TravelPro in 2008 and love it. Very sturdy but fairly light and the inline wheels can be replaced, if needed. Loved it so much I bought another for my DH for our trip last fall. Got one at Amazon and one at Overstock.

Debbie

We're fans of TravelPro as well. We bought our first 2 pieces (26" and 24") in 2004 and have added the 20" and 18" over the years. I'm trying to convince DH to retire the 26" and get another 24", since the 26" is easy to over-pack. I think we have the Crew 4 series; they're up to Crew 7 now.

The only problem with them is that they are heavy! I think the 26" starts out at 11 lbs!

I think what works for one person doesn't always work for another. Which is why it is nice to have choices. While some of the high end brands are a lot better quality and will last a frequent traveler many years, it just doesn't make sense for the casual traveler to invest that much money in luggage.

When people come into the store, the first thing I talk to them about is what type of travel they do and how frequently they travel. I'd not want to sell a Samsonite to a business traveler that is on the road a couple times a month, it would be a poor value for them even though it is a cheap price. On the other hand, I never steer a person to Tumi if they are going on their first vacation in years and had no plans for further travel.

I also just recently bought a 3 piece hard-sided set from overstock.com. The large and medium sized pieces have the spinner wheels and they are fantastic! Just recently we traveled with my boyfriend's 2 year old and while going through the airport, I had her and the small pilot case, while he had to manuever the other two cases, a carry on, a car seat and her backpack. With the spinner wheels he was able to stack and just push rather than stack and then have to tilt the bags to roll. I don't think I'll ever go back to just 2 wheels.

Oh, and they are way more light weight than any other set I have owned. I stuffed them full and they were still underweight.

• 2 weeks later...
TJ Maxx is carrying a brand called "Heys". They are hard-sided, with spinner wheels, and are very lightweight. I compared the weight of my old empty, soft-sided suitcase with my new "Heys" of the same size and the "Heys" was 6 lbs. lighter!:D They come in different colors and prints. My SIL used a set of Heys on our spring break cruise this year and she really loved them, so that's why I decided to give a set a try. I'll come back on after my Thanksgiving trip to Cabo and let everyone know how the luggage worked out for me. I got 3 pieces for under $200, which was cheaper than what my SIL paid for her set which was discounted online!

My husband bought me a set of Heys for Christmas. Then I went out to Marshalls and picked up a few pieces for my daughters. I'm dieing to know how they'll hold up. If anyone has any experience with the HEYS brand PLEASE let me know thanks!! PS. My hubby got mine on Walmart.com for 199.00 plus tax. I priced them out and for the set I got they were selling for 300.00 and up everywhere else!!

My husband bought me a set of Heys for Christmas. Then I went out to Marshalls and picked up a few pieces for my daughters. I'm dieing to know how they'll hold up. If anyone has any experience with the HEYS brand PLEASE let me know thanks!! PS. My hubby got mine on Walmart.com for 199.00 plus tax. I priced them out and for the set I got they were selling for 300.00 and up everywhere else!!

I love my new Heys!! I plan to pick up some more pieces before my next cruise. They are sooooo light. The only downside was not having an outside pocket but I really didn't miss that too much.

Archived