Time crunch - Carnival Cruise in Fort Lauderdale

Cajun Reefer

Sorry for the newbie question, but my wife and I will be catching Carnival Miracle in Fort Lauderdale.

Our Southwest flight arrives in Fort Lauderdale at 12:30 PM, and our boat departs at 4:00 PM. Our Carnival paperwork shows that boarding begins at 12:30 PM and ends at 2:30 PM. If I'm not mistaken, the airport is very close to the port, about 10 minutes away. I figure we should be off the plane by 1:00 PM, have our luggage by 1:30 PM, and in a taxi by 2:00 PM. Of course, all of this is assuming our plane doesn't pass the airport by 150 miles! :eek:

For those of you who cruise regularly and are familiar with the Fort Lauderdale port, airport, and Carnival; are we cutting it too close? I didn't realize boarding was so short.

We were in Fort Lauderdale earlier this year and had no problems going in and out of the port for my wife's work. I'm just wondering how long it's going to take to check-in with Carnival.

Thank y'all for your assistance. This site has been a great help in scheduling excursions.

-Dennis

Boarding actually usually starts some time after 10:30 a.m., dont know why they tell people to not show up until later, maybe to avoid the lines. No one I know waits until 2:30 to board, cutting it very very close, what happens if you dont get off the plane on time, even 30 minutes and you would be in trouble. The ship has to turn in the final manifest 60 minutes before they sail, so requires you to be onboard 90 minutes before they sail.

Do you have alternate plans to fly to the first port?? sounds like its a chance you are taking to me.

It does take no more than 20 minutes to catch a cab and then they have to go thru a booth and find the right pier for your cruise and you need to get up the stairs and in line fast ... sure too close for me, Id be a bundle of nerves.

Thats crazy close.

If you touch down at 12:30 you should be in a cab with your luggage at 1 pm. Recalculate your times accordingly.

However, I don't think it is wise to take a flight that lands at 12:30. If there is any sort of delay, which is common, you will miss your cruise. Do you want to take that chance?

If you have your Funpass filled out, you have to be checked in 60 minutes prior to sailaway. Notice I said checked-in and not onboard the ship. If you do not have your Funpass filled out, you have to be at the terminal 90 minutes prior to sailaway.

Processing usually starts at 10:30am with boarding of the ship around 11:30am.

Dave

From Carnival's FAQ

You must check in at least one hour prior to departure.

Guests that do not complete the registration process prior to embarkation are required to check-in at least 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time.

I think you are over estimating your time schedule.

If your flight is on time there is not reason why you couldnt be off of the plane, have your luggage in hand and in a cab within 35 minutes of landing. The port is 10 minutes away (depends on who is driving) LOL.

Have a great time.

Take a deep breath.... Your plan is a little shaky but IF your plane is on time, IF you're seated at the front of the plane, IF your luggage is received in the terminal quickly, IF you secure a taxi immediately, and IF there is no vehicle line up at the pier, you'll make!!!

Next cruise, give yourself a little breathing room.

As everyone says, you will probably make it, but there are always threads from the few who did not make it and missed their cruise and blamed Carnival. At least you arent flying from the north in the middle of winter, lots of snow delays, looks like you are in Lousiana, so not flyint too far. Id be worried. Im used to being onboard by Noon and sitting up in the buffet eating lunch by then.

Thanks, guys, for the prompt and convincing comments! I changed my flight to the day before. My wife was already very nervous, and so was I after reading y'all responses. We'll go the day before, so everyone's nerves are relaxed for a good cruise. No sense in chancing it!

Again, thank y'all for the help! We're already nervous about taking an 8-day cruise. We were thinking we should have started off with a 3 or 5-day cruise to make sure we liked them for our first time. That was one reason why I picked the best route I could for the Southern Caribbean based out of the States.

Thanks, guys, for the prompt and convincing comments! I changed my flight to the day before. My wife was already very nervous, and so was I after reading y'all responses. We'll go the day before, so everyone's nerves are relaxed for a good cruise. No sense in chancing it!

Again, thank y'all for the help! We're already nervous about taking an 8-day cruise. We were thinking we should have started off with a 3 or 5-day cruise to make sure we liked them for our first time. That was one reason why I picked the best route I could for the Southern Caribbean based out of the States.

Thats good. I was in a similiar situation, a cheap flight was being offered the day of my cruise ($69) arriving at 1145am in FLL. I did not want to risk so I got a flight the day before. I do not want to be stressed out.

I am with you on the 1st cruise situation. I am taking my 1st cruise in January and for months (during planning) people told me to take a 3 days (nothing more) because I would be bored out my mind on a boat for 8 days. However, I went for the 8 day Eastern and I am excited. Alot of people tried to dis-suade me but I think its a combination of jelousy and hatred. Ah well. :)

Archived