15% Gratuities for online drinks packages.

1lovehols

I thought it was to do with the serving of the wine. I didn't book it online to get it cheaper it was all to do with money management.

Now you know and, I hope, understand.

There is a gratuity added to anything which will be served to you, whether you buy them as packages, individually, before you sail, or during your cruise.

Soda package, wine package, by the drink, by the bottle, by the can.

All have the 15% gratuity added, regardless of when they are paid for.

You are right: paying beforehand is about money management.

The 15% will be paid.

I do think the 15% is a little excessive for things such as the bottled water package - why does someone need to earn $12 or so to drop off a case of bottled water in your stateroom. It is not served. There should be a lesser percentage for packages that are dropped off at your stateroom rather than served to you.

I always order wine for the cabin through Gifts & Gear. I just placed an order for our upcoming cruise and there was no gratuity. With Gifts & Gear you have the wine delivered to your stateroom. It comes with glasses & a corkscrew. You do pay corkage if you take it to the dining room or a bar, but otherwise there is no gratuity.

My main reason for posting is that not everyone knows that the gratitues is added online and thought other like myself who have done this for the 1st should know.

This leads to my next question how do I know that my actual waiter will get the tips so to speak.

Any drink purchase (whether alcohol or soda) includes 15% tip...there's no reason that purchasing online would negate that charge!

You won't know who gets those tips--they are "pooled" among all the drink servers. But, you won't have to worry about it...it's been taken care of!

Archived