Non-sale!

Traveler353

There is currently a non-sale on the Carnival site. For only $200 more than the current lowest price you can book a cruise for 5 days and get $60 in OBC. There is a trend of Carnival doing this. Do people really fall for this? Other than the Military rates the other much better prices are right there for all to see. I use my upcoming Triumph December cruise as an example.

I looked at some dates, and depends on the category too, for a balcony, the price was only a tad more or the same than the fun rates, for the other categories not so good. I thought it said $100 OBC too, but I was looking at a email copy of the sale I got. (hard to read).

Yep on balconys same price as fun select, looking at Ecstasy feb 20th. So, if you didnt want early saver, you get $100 back and can cancel up until final payment. .. might appeal to some?

WOW :( Just looked at my date Jan 23rd on Ecstasy, we are still over a month before final payment ... ES rate not there this morning :( replaced by the cash back rate. Says get up to $160 back!!! on a 5 day cruise??!! and the rates are way up from what I booked..

I looked at some dates, and depends on the category too, for a balcony, the price was only a tad more or the same than the fun rates, for the other categories not so good. I thought it said $100 OBC too, but I was looking at a email copy of the sale I got. (hard to read).

Yep on balconys same price as fun select, looking at Ecstasy feb 20th. So, if you didnt want early saver, you get $100 back and can cancel up until final payment. .. might appeal to some?

WOW :( Just looked at my date Jan 23rd on Ecstasy, we are still over a month before final payment ... ES rate not there this morning :( replaced by the cash back rate. Says get up to $160 back!!! on a 5 day cruise??!! and the rates are way up from what I booked..

Fire, Good Morning. In very small print it breaks down the actual cash back. It seems to be different for different cruises of the same length. Crazy pricing. While I am happy with the 6D, I keep waiting for the balcony prices to come back down. At one time the difference was only $50 and now it is over $100. I guess I should have self up-sale'd my self when it was at $50. Lesson learned I guess.

I've read that RCL raises their rates before their sales start as well. Some people see the word "sale" and lose their minds. (yes i mean my wife :eek: )

It's true, RCI does do this. I was looking at booking a cruise, but was waiting for a "sale". When it came around the price had gone up to pretty much cover the "discount" ($100 off total) they were giving me. I still booked.

The only good thing is that a few weeks later the rate on my category droped and they gave me the rate, plus I kept my "sale" ($100 off total) discount. So in the end I did get a better deal by booking during the sale, but I had to watch for price drops. I'm sure most "normal" (non cruise critic types) people don't watch for price drops and thats how they get their money.

When I saw Carnival's email this morning, I was hoping it was a real sale because I am looking at booking the Miracle with the new Aruba/Curcao itin. I guess I will wait for another time.

I've read that RCL raises their rates before their sales start as well. Some people see the word "sale" and lose their minds. (yes i mean my wife :eek: )

True.

"There's a sucker born every minute" certainly applies.

Just because it says "sale" doesn't mean it is one.......

A common marketing tool used by many to pull in the gullible.

Just curious, does the email say anything about this Cash Back sale being for new bookings only? If not than should we not be able to apply it a current booking? On the website it doesn't mention "new bookings only".

24Cash back on sailings thru 5/31/10 receive up to $30 per person up to a maximum of $60 per stateroom on select 3 day sailings; $40 per person up to a maximum of $80 per stateroom on select 4 day sailings; $50 per person up to a maximum of $100 per stateroom on select 5 day sailings; $60 per person up to a maximum of $120 per stateroom on select 6 day sailings; $70 per person up to a maximum of $140 per stateroom on select 7 day sailings. Up to $80 per person up to a maximum of $160 per stateroom on select 8 day sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Blackout dates apply. Cash back may not be applied to cruise fare or government taxes and fees. Cash back offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other offer. At the end of the cruise, any remaining unused portion of the cash back onboard credit will be delivered in check form to your stateroom on the morning of debarkation.

Just curious, does the email say anything about this Cash Back sale being for new bookings only? If not than should we not be able to apply it a current booking? On the website it doesn't mention "new bookings only".

24Cash back on sailings thru 5/31/10 receive up to $30 per person up to a maximum of $60 per stateroom on select 3 day sailings; $40 per person up to a maximum of $80 per stateroom on select 4 day sailings; $50 per person up to a maximum of $100 per stateroom on select 5 day sailings; $60 per person up to a maximum of $120 per stateroom on select 6 day sailings; $70 per person up to a maximum of $140 per stateroom on select 7 day sailings. Up to $80 per person up to a maximum of $160 per stateroom on select 8 day sailings. Category restrictions and exclusions apply. Blackout dates apply. Cash back may not be applied to cruise fare or government taxes and fees. Cash back offer is capacity controlled and is not combinable with any other offer. At the end of the cruise, any remaining unused portion of the cash back onboard credit will be delivered in check form to your stateroom on the morning of debarkation.

I'm not sure if the combinable thingie in the tiny print means it can be with ES or can be change to but I would guess if you have anything else (welcome back for instance) you'd lose that to get that rate.

I checked mine and it's 240 more than I paid for the same category as I have but it doesn't show any OBC for the cash back rate. hmmm they usually post that on the right side of the page.

We cruise in 40 days and the prices are almost $200 pp more than what we paid on the ES. We received $20 pp OBC early on when the prices dropped. Since then, they have increased. The FS increased $50 pp last week.

I am surprised that the prices are increasing in this economy but the cabins must be selling.

There is currently a non-sale on the Carnival site. For only $200 more than the current lowest price you can book a cruise for 5 days and get $60 in OBC. There is a trend of Carnival doing this. Do people really fall for this? Other than the Military rates the other much better prices are right there for all to see. I use my upcoming Triumph December cruise as an example.

I think I smell BS.

Here's a funny one I saw today at one of those big, online travel sites. You can book an 8A for $789 and get a free two category upgrade to an 8C. Or, you can just buy the 8C to begin with and pay only $719.

What a deal!

prices-1.jpg

Oh Ill have two of those with the FREE upgrade, I love sales and FREE, lmao .... sometimes ya have to wonder how they do it so no one would ever book a sale price.

New cruisers are just not as savy as CC members and will believe anything that some TA or PVP tells them. Look how many first time posters come here and complain after their first cruise about what we mostly would take for granted. They are told that they are getting the best price and the best cabin that has ever been offered and they go for it. Many have never even been to the Carnival site to check prices or find out any information about their ship. Knowledge is power and that is what CC gives to new soon to be experienced cruisers.

Archived