Your favorite Luggage

pixiedustdawn

Sorry, if this has already been posted, but I could not find it anywhere. I did see "decorations for luggage" and I saw "how to pack clothing in luggage"

I need advice on luggage. I travel quite often and find my luggage doesn't hold up as well as it should. I take care of my luggage, but once it is out of sight, who knows what happens then.

I have heard duffle bags are wheels are best. I have heard luggage with separate departments are great. I have gone through numerous pieces of luggage, some still stored in the attic.

I am curious what everyone out there uses when they travel and the experiences they have had with their luggage. Does it hold up, easy to pack, lightweight before packing, easy to maneuver, easy to spot, etc?

Thanks Dawn

We buy the absolutely LIGHTEST weight (for flying) that we can find. I try not to pay too much for it, because no matter the brand, it WILL get destroyed by the airlines!

While black is in the majority, other colors are becoming more popular, so you still have to do something to make your luggage stand out to you...tying things onto it, spray-painting designs, etc....

I don't like compartments, as invariably I'll have something that won't fit into the prescribed space!

I go with the cheapest, lightest I can find....Our suitcases tend to last about 5-7 years....and we do get our money's worth out of them!

Lite-weight wheeled duffles are best for flights. Also good for cruises [can easily stick under beds]. Also good for taxis.

We recommend that you buy on-line. Much larger selection.

1. Buy a duffle under 7.5 pounds. [Ours are 6.75 pounds]. Most large suitcases are over 11 pounds.

2. Buy a duffle that is under the airline max for linear inches [under 62 inches]. Most duffles we see either exceed 62 inches or are under 56 inches. [Ours are 58.5 inches, but when "stuffed" can skirt the 62 inch max.]

3. Buy a duffle that has some type of warranty. Don't expect too much, but maybe it can withstand airline mishandling for a few years.

4. Compare materials, wheels, handles.

5. On-line companies have constant sales of duffles, many with free shipping and no sales tax. Compare several sites.

As noted by an earlier poster. black duffles are extremely common. Ours are black because they had the best features and only black was on-sale in the duffle we wanted. Naturally we put various "things" on them so they'll "stand-out" on the luggage carousals.

Lite-weight wheeled duffles are best for flights. Also good for cruises [can easily stick under beds]. Also good for taxis.

We recommend that you buy on-line. Much larger selection.

1. Buy a duffle under 7.5 pounds. [Ours are 6.75 pounds]. Most large suitcases are over 11 pounds.

2. Buy a duffle that is under the airline max for linear inches [under 62 inches]. Most duffles we see either exceed 62 inches or are under 56 inches. [Ours are 58.5 inches, but when "stuffed" can skirt the 62 inch max.]

3. Buy a duffle that has some type of warranty. Don't expect too much, but maybe it can withstand airline mishandling for a few years.

4. Compare materials, wheels, handles.

5. On-line companies have constant sales of duffles, many with free shipping and no sales tax. Compare several sites.

As noted by an earlier poster. black duffles are extremely common. Ours are black because they had the best features and only black was on-sale in the duffle we wanted. Naturally we put various "things" on them so they'll "stand-out" on the luggage carousals.

Thanks for the advice.

It is appreciated!!

Thanks for the advice.

It is appreciated!!

There is a thread on the Fashion board about this. I also believe in buying the duffels as they are little money and weigh less, but many like to buy more expensive luggage that has lifetime warranties on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still in the process of finding something I really like. I did however go out and buy a small 20 inch swiss bag with laptop compartment from target, just for my 2 night cruise and light travel. The bag itself was very light and lot's of compartments, which I love. It was on sale this week and had to get it for $69.00.

I am still looking for that large size bag and will keep looking.

I thank you all for your help and advice!!

Dawn

• 2 weeks later...
The Heys Exotic collection is the best luggage I've ever owned - no contest at all.:cool:

Just checked that out online. I do love the designs, but does it hold a lot inside. It didn't look very deep.

Real pretty designs.

One even resembled a turtle with his shell. lol

Rolling duffle bags from Costco! Only $39 each. We had the nice hard-shell Samsonite suitcases, but we had problems in Japan. We couldn't get the suitcases fit into the narrow escalator! Now the rolling duffle bag fits easily at an upright position anywhere.

Rolling duffle bags from Costco! Only $39 each. We had the nice hard-shell Samsonite suitcases, but we had problems in Japan. We couldn't get the suitcases fit into the narrow escalator! Now the rolling duffle bag fits easily at an upright position anywhere.

Archived