Alaska Questions

I am thinking of taking my family on an Alaskan cruise next summer. We have done the Caribbean several times but have never gone to Alaska. I was hoping that those who have been can help with a few questions:

1. Is July a good time to go. Are the crowds in port overwhelming?

2. Can you still see wildlife in July

3. Will teenagers (14 & 17) enjoy

4. Best airlines to get out of Alaska. I am in Canada but very close to the border?

Thank you in advance!

Anytime is a great time to go to Alaska. July is peak time and it will be crowded. When you get to the ports, go on an excvursion to get away from the crowds. For the Teens there is plenty to do even if they just hang by the pool in the solarium. We have been on two Alaska cruises and spent all last summer traveling the entire State in our motor home so feel free to ask any questions. And , yes you will see tons of wildlife.

My Mom & I cruised on the Rhapsody of the Seas this past July and had an absolutely WONDERFUL time. I know everyone said the temps were higher than normal this year, but it was hot while we were there. Being from FL, we were hoping for a little cooler weather. And it never rained on us - even our 2 days in Seattle!!

There seemed to be lots of families on our cruise - don't know if that's normal or not. I've always heard it was mostly older folks. We went to celebrate my 50th and we thought there was a great mix of ages.

We saw lots of whales - both from the ship and on our whale watching excursion in Juneau. Also saw bear on our trip to the Yukon (out of Skagway) - even saw a moma & 3 cubs.

Check out the Alaska board on the port of call section. You will find SO much info there.

I can't wait to go again. It was the most beautiful place I've ever seen.

1. Is July a good time to go. Are the crowds in port overwhelming? The weather will be great- yes it will be crowded in port.

2. Can you still see wildlife in July. Yes, alot of whales

3. Will teenagers (14 & 17) enjoy. My teenagers liked it.

4. Best airlines to get out of Alaska. I am in Canada but very close to the border? Alaska Airlines is the main airline serving Alaska.

Thank you in advance!

I am thinking of taking my family on an Alaskan cruise next summer. We have done the Caribbean several times but have never gone to Alaska. I was hoping that those who have been can help with a few questions:

1. Is July a good time to go. Are the crowds in port overwhelming?

2. Can you still see wildlife in July

3. Will teenagers (14 & 17) enjoy

4. Best airlines to get out of Alaska. I am in Canada but very close to the border?

Thank you in advance!

Seeing how I live here, I guess this is one I should answer.

1. Yes, July is an excellent time to come visit. You'll be amazed by the midnight sun, the weather will likely be on its best behavior and you'll have an absolutely fabulous time. Crowds will be here because you're in peak season. "Overwhelming" is relative - I love crowds of people, so that isn't something that affects me.

2. What do you want to see?

Whales? Check!

Puffins? Check!

Otters? Check!

Bald Eagles? Check!

Bears? Check!

Sea Lions? Double check! (Is there a triple check? You can bank on seeing these guys with your eyes closed on excursions out of Seward).

3. What do your teens like to do? Will they come with you on excursions or stay on the ship? There is so much to do and see here that I'm sure they'll have a good time on excursions.

4. I'm very partial to Alaska Airlines as they get all my business related flights and the vast majority of my personal flights. They tend to be more expensive than Northwest though (but Northwest was absorbed by Delta and I haven't checked their prices since). Alaska Airlines is a friendly airline, generally arrives and leaves on time and is always my first choice.

1. Yes, July is an excellent time to come visit. You'll be amazed by the midnight sun, the weather will likely be on its best behavior and you'll have an absolutely fabulous time. Crowds will be here because you're in peak season. "Overwhelming" is relative - I love crowds of people, so that isn't something that affects me.

2. What do you want to see?

Whales? Check!

Puffins? Check!

Otters? Check!

Bald Eagles? Check!

Bears? Check!

I'm going to Alaskan in June. Will be able to experience the same thing?

For those that have cruised the Caribbean and are sailing to Alaska for the first time, the best advice I could give is to do your homework. Know beforehand what it is you'd like to see. Check out the private excursions in Alaska, as ship excursions tend to be very crowede IMO. June and July are great months to go, because of the midnight sun. I feel that the end of June through Aug is the busyest time. To save money this year we did the last sailing in September. It was a bit chilly, around 50, and rainy, can happen anytime, but we save a ton of money. One more peice of advice. If you have a ship and cabin in mind, book early. Alaska tends to book early.

Rollie

My wife and I took our adult daughters on a 14 night Alaska cruise on RCCL in the Spring of 2008 and my wife and I are going again for 14 nights on RCCL in the Fall of 2010.

I found that the major problem with Alaska is that if you are looking off to the right you are missing something spectacular on the left. The problem with Alaska is that you could get whiplash trying to see everything :)

I'm going to Alaskan in June. Will be able to experience the same thing?

Yes.

I forgot to mention, if you have a good set of binoculars, then you want to bring them. A camera with a large lens is also a must have item. Eagles tend to perch up high so you're not going to capture them in full glory with a point and shoot or standard SLR lens. The same goes for bears - if the captain spots one and announces it, you'll have to look waaaaaay over there on land to see it. Even on nature cruise excursions, you won't be close enough for a point and shoot to do justice. I have a Canon digital SLR with several Tamron lenses (the smallest, I believe, is a 70-300mm). The standard lens that comes with the camera is a 18-55mm and it rarely gets used unless I'm on land and photographing the beautiful flora up close.

I wouldn't discourage bringing along your P&S because it'll be a good candidate for MDR pics and such, but if you're wanting to catch a close-up of that lazy otter floating on his back, the dSLR/powerful lens is the way to go.

And make sure you bring extra batteries and memory cards! Nothing like a dead battery or full card in the middle of your excursion... :eek:

For those that have cruised the Caribbean and are sailing to Alaska for the first time, the best advice I could give is to do your homework. Know beforehand what it is you'd like to see. Check out the private excursions in Alaska, as ship excursions tend to be very crowede IMO. June and July are great months to go, because of the midnight sun. I feel that the end of June through Aug is the busyest time. To save money this year we did the last sailing in September. It was a bit chilly, around 50, and rainy, can happen anytime, but we save a ton of money. One more peice of advice. If you have a ship and cabin in mind, book early. Alaska tends to book early.

Rollie

I love it when people come to see the midnight sun with a healthy dose of skepticism. "No way it stays up that long!"

Get them away from a clock or their watch and just go enjoy yourselves. Then casually mention to them, "hey, it's 11:30!" The look on their faces is priceless!

I remember when I first moved here in the month of June. Played outdoor pick-up basketball past midnight because I lost track of time. People were still out playing so I didn't really *think* it was near midnight.

Archived