which is better? Nikon P90 or Canon SX20 IS?

appgirl

While the Canon/Nikon image quality war in the DSLR world is a toss-up, the Canons usually win out in the compact and superzoom categories.

I shoot with a Sony DSLR and love the handling and performance, but my 24x7 pocket camera is a Canon SD800.

My 2¢...

Dave

I have been trying to decide on a camera and am torn between the Nikon P90 and the Canon SX20 IS. Any opinions?

Both of these are relatively new models from the two DSLR titans and I'm not aware of any big reviews of them. You can see a comparison of similar models and other brands here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q109superzoomgroup/

I think the review is accurate to use to extrapolate to features in the upgraded models. I suspect there is only a few incremental improvements and no huge leap in improvements here.

Unless there is something very special about ergo/handling with the Nikon I'd go with the Canon or read the review and consider the Panasonic or Sony as well.

Nikon doesn't have a good track record at all in compact P&S but on DSLR they have a very good lineup, maybe the best IMHO ;)

Go with the Cannon. Nikon's point and shoots aren't that great. And this is from someone who owns two Nikon DSLRs but my point and shoot is a Cannon. Much better picture quality and ferformance from the Cannon Point and Shoots.

Archived