How stable is WiFi - TECH HEAVY QUESTION

AndyTheK

Another strange question. I'm a newbie to notebooks and WiFi access, though I am well experienced in Windows and PC in general (IT in the tech side was my profession or 44+ years).

DW just bought a notebook which we will be taking on our Panama Canal Cruise in December. The advantage of doing email offline, and having somewhere to offload our photos and video footage is well worth the cost. Right now, the machine is configured to log into our home network - which is heavily secured against casual entry. Because of a Windows XP configuration requirement, we can not currently attaach to any WiFi HotSpots which means I can not test how the system will behave aboard ship. I will have to change the configuration when we are traveling. Not a big deal, but not as simple as a few clicks.

However, for reasons still unknown (the machine is new and it takes time to really troubleshoot problems like this) its internet connection (wireless) disconnects every so often, usually after about 5 or 10 minutes connected. I don't THINK it's on the access point side, because there is another computer (a desktop) connected wireless also, and it does not "see" the line dropping, or it recovers quickly enough so there is no trouble. I can reconnect the notebook ("repair" connection) and the system continues until the next disconnect. Google is chock full of entries for the symptoms, but most of the answers so far have been useless.

Does the WiFi on board disconnect often? And if so, is reconnect "clean" or does it require logging in again? I could deal with it either way, but I am not the user - DW is, and though she is a very knowledgeable user, she's not a techie :) No matter what the answer is, I'd like to prepare for it.

TIA and Shalom. Andy.

Does the WiFi on board disconnect often? And if so, is reconnect "clean" or does it require logging in again? I could deal with it either way, but I am not the user - DW is, and though she is a very knowledgeable user, she's not a techie :) No matter what the answer is, I'd like to prepare for it.

TIA and Shalom. Andy.

On the Pacific, the Wireless internet would self disconnect about every 5 inutes no matter what I was doing. I then had to log back in each and every time with name and password. We had unlimited internet access, so it didn't cost me onboard, but WOW did I go through the minutes with this happening constantly.

But I loved having my netbook along with me so I could download my pictures to the corect album for that day or for that island, it was so much easier to keep track of where exactly those pictures were taken.

On the Pacific, the Wireless internet would self disconnect about every 5 inutes no matter what I was doing. I then had to log back in each and every time with name and password. We had unlimited internet access, so it didn't cost me onboard, but WOW did I go through the minutes with this happening constantly.

But I loved having my netbook along with me so I could download my pictures to the corect album for that day or for that island, it was so much easier to keep track of where exactly those pictures were taken.

Thank you Toto. I agree that having the notebook will be super. Since I'm a video nut, I won't have to worry about getting a bunch of 8Gb memory cards either. DW already has a gazillion MP3 albums in it so she can load her player as she sees fit.

One other question - when the internet disconnected, did you have to repair the connection, or just log in again?

Shalom, Andy.

We've taken our laptop and more recently our netbook on cruises. A lot seems to depend on your location and the weather conditions when it comes to the signal. We had good reception on our Panama Canal cruise the whole way. That was on the Island Princess. I selected photos from the trip, reduced their size, composed email then went online to send. It worked like a charm. My only issue was when my computer wanted to do security updates. I hated paying for the time but didn't want to go unprotected.

We needed to log in again. One other thing, flip your wireless switch to off when you are finished. I've seen people surprised by large bills when they didn't sign off completely.

Thank you Toto. I agree that having the notebook will be super. Since I'm a video nut, I won't have to worry about getting a bunch of 8Gb memory cards either. DW already has a gazillion MP3 albums in it so she can load her player as she sees fit.

One other question - when the internet disconnected, did you have to repair the connection, or just log in again?

Shalom, Andy.

Andy, I just had to log in again in another window. I also could not attach photos to email and at times even had a hard time attaching them here on CC. (after arriving home I see that CC has been having some problems, so it might have been the message board and not actually the connection giving me fits). I was able to download pictures to webshots, but Oh My did it take a long time. If I would have had to pay for the minutes, I would not have even considered it.

On the Sapphire in Alaska in August the internet was very good. The only time it disconnected was on time out after 5 minutes of non use. If I was on and active then the connection was stable. I was using Vista at the time.

XP has a known issue with dropping the connection when using the Wireless Zero Configuration and any third party software that you might be using to configure your wireless connection. I would recommend ensuring you only you one or the other and not both. :)

I had no trouble using my laptop in many locations, including my room, but like all wireless connections, there are going to be lapses, and you won't know if it is the wireless connection or your computer.

(BTW, I had a problem like you described with a Mac once. It drove me insane. With macs, you can only do so much yourself, so I sent it in for repair three times, and they finally sent me a new Mac. Normally I use PC's, but this one was a gift. I personally feel it was a problem with the airport card in the laptop)

If you don't want to mess with your current laptop's configuration each time to connect, just use the computers in the internet cafe. Then you wouldn't have to lug yours along, either.

The only drag is that those computers aren't the world's fastest. But then, they have slightly more reliable connections than the wireless in your room might be.

We just recently returned from the Emerald. Our cabin was not even near a hot spot and we had no trouble what so ever with our Ipod touch using email and facebook. It never logged us out so consquently our free minutes lasted a log time. I don't think we even used all of our minutes that both DH and I had. The only trouble we had was logging off. The first time we couldn't get back to a screen to do the correct logoff, but that was probably our not knowing what we were doing. Our ipod was fairly new to us.

It could be the ship, the weather, where you are located, etc. It sure was convenient having access to email in our cabin and not having to go down to internet cafe.

XP has a known issue with dropping the connection when using the Wireless Zero Configuration and any third party software that you might be using to configure your wireless connection. I would recommend ensuring you only you one or the other and not both. :)

Actually, I use neither. My home network requires, in addition to the usual long WEP password, a connect with a specific address on our local subnet. There is no DHCP server in the network at all! If I don't know ya, you aren't coming in LOL!

I

If you don't want to mess with your current laptop's configuration each time to connect, just use the computers in the internet cafe. Then you wouldn't have to lug yours along, either.

The notebook has lots of other advantages. Besides, once the comp is set for hot spot access, it stays that way until we get bck home. No reconfigure every time.

My only issue was when my computer wanted to do security updates. I hated paying for the time but didn't want to go unprotected.

We needed to log in again. One other thing, flip your wireless switch to off when you are finished. I've seen people surprised by large bills when they didn't sign off completely.

Good tips. Thanks. I have auto Windows update off anyhow and I will change Avira (anti virus program we use) to update once a day instead of every 2 hours - their updates are usually small anyhow and don't happen too often.

Thanksto all who replied.

Shalom, Andy

Actually, I use neither. My home network requires, in addition to the usual long WEP password, a connect with a specific address on our local subnet. There is no DHCP server in the network at all! If I don't know ya, you aren't coming in LOL!

:confused: Sorry - I was just trying to help! You said your notebook was dropping connection and I was offering you a possible solution which is why I said maybe. It may still be something worth bearing in mind depending on how you intend to connect onboard.

Internet connection speeds and reliability depend on a number of factors: where the ship is in relation to the satellite "cone", weather, number of people using the broadband and what they're doing. If the ship is close to the edge of satellite coverage, the Internet will be spotty or non-existant. If a lot of people are using the Internet at the same time, the limited bandwidth can't support the usage and thus is extremely slow, often causing time outs. If people are going to graphics-heavy websites or uploading/downloading photos, that too uses a lot of bandwidth.

If you use a text-based email system, you improve your chances of having a faster and more stable connection. Internet access is never guaranteed. No matter what, it'll seem like you're back in the days of 1200 bd modems.

Another strange question. I'm a newbie to notebooks and WiFi access, though I am well experienced in Windows and PC in general (IT in the tech side was my profession or 44+ years).

DW just bought a notebook which we will be taking on our Panama Canal Cruise in December. The advantage of doing email offline, and having somewhere to offload our photos and video footage is well worth the cost. Right now, the machine is configured to log into our home network - which is heavily secured against casual entry. Because of a Windows XP configuration requirement, we can not currently attaach to any WiFi HotSpots which means I can not test how the system will behave aboard ship. I will have to change the configuration when we are traveling. Not a big deal, but not as simple as a few clicks.

However, for reasons still unknown (the machine is new and it takes time to really troubleshoot problems like this) its internet connection (wireless) disconnects every so often, usually after about 5 or 10 minutes connected. I don't THINK it's on the access point side, because there is another computer (a desktop) connected wireless also, and it does not "see" the line dropping, or it recovers quickly enough so there is no trouble. I can reconnect the notebook ("repair" connection) and the system continues until the next disconnect. Google is chock full of entries for the symptoms, but most of the answers so far have been useless.

TIA and Shalom. Andy.

Hi Andy,

I use my notebook on my Caribbean cruises. I would download all my email to outlook and save internet pages I wanted to read offline. I logged off and took it back to my room, answered emails and read whatever I need to. Then I would go back to a hot spot or library and upload all my emails and send. a pain but much cheaper. espeically running at snail speed. Early morning and late night are best times. I really think it's a hot or miss. Cruise ships are putting "boosters" on their systems to make things faster. Some ships have them and some don't. Caribbean Princess was a nightmare when it came to technology. The internet was down 70% of the time. Frustrating when I am still a working stiff :) I am hoping it has gotten better, as I am doing a transatlantic in April 2010. I hope this helps a little.

Ms. Cory in Atlanta

Hi Andy,

I use my notebook on my Caribbean cruises. I would download all my email to outlook and save internet pages I wanted to read offline. I logged off and took it back to my room, answered emails and read whatever I need to. Then I would go back to a hot spot or library and upload all my emails and send. a pain but much cheaper. espeically running at snail speed. Early morning and late night are best times. I really think it's a hot or miss. Cruise ships are putting "boosters" on their systems to make things faster. Some ships have them and some don't. Caribbean Princess was a nightmare when it came to technology. The internet was down 70% of the time. Frustrating when I am still a working stiff :) I am hoping it has gotten better, as I am doing a transatlantic in April 2010. I hope this helps a little.

Ms. Cory in Atlanta

I was told in August that all ships are now fitted with wireless throughout, all some cabins are better than others depending on the location of the wireless access point. Princess have also been gradually been changing contractors for internet provisioning and all ships now have upgraded facilities and the internet should be more reliable and faster. However, as Pam says above there are no guarantees.

Andy,

It's not really that much of a security problem on a cruiseship wireless access point as long as you keep the basics in mind. Your wireless connection (router) at home has a built in firewall that features extended WEP and other security measures. Once you leave home with your laptop you will need to enable Windows firewall to guarantee your security.

Big thanks to everyone.

Did you update Windows and the drivers from the notebook mfgs. website?

There are updates put out quite often, from the time the notebook was packed for shipping to the time it was bought.

Drivers are the latest (first thing I checked). Haven't done an update of Windows yet. I've been putting that off because the internet connection is so unreliable, but I guess it's time to bite the bullet.

Once you leave home with your laptop you will need to enable Windows firewall to guarantee your security.

Thanks. Already on the list along with reconfiguring the connection.

If you use a text-based email system, you improve your chances of having a faster and more stable connection. Internet access is never guaranteed. No matter what, it'll seem like you're back in the days of 1200 bd modems.

Thanks. We'va already set up a Thunderbird instance with all the HTML turned off as a separate email address just for the cruise, and will ask people not to send any attachments or graphics in their mail.

As for 1200 baud text... OOOO takes us back to the days we met. DW and I are one of the first Internet couples, going back to 1995. All we had was text email back then. We exchanged our first pictures by snail mail.

Sorry - I was just trying to help! You said your notebook was dropping connection and I was offering you a possible solution which is why I said maybe. It may still be something worth bearing in mind depending on how you intend to connect onboard.

Thanks for the help. No "sorry" needed. You are right... I'll keep what you originally wrote in mind as I continue to troubleshoot.

Shalom to everyone from Tel Aviv.

Andy

I had some issues on my last cruise, about a month ago on the golden, where the wifi would drop me now and then, but I suspect it had to do mostly with signal strength since it only occurred in my cabin.

Generally, it's been very good on all the ships, at least as far as attaching to the house wifi; the speed of the satellite is of course another story, but expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised when it gets speedy in the late evenings. :p

Regarding the laptop dropping wifi, I had a very similar problem with one of my laptops. I went through a number of drivers for the internal generic network, trying several compatible drivers until I found a stable one. Every so often I give the OEM drivers a try if they've been upgraded, but so far the Windows Update version seems to be the most stable. You're problem very likely has nothing to do with that, but if you happen to have a spare notebook network card or usb dongle, you might want to throw it in your computer bag just in case the internal card gets to be too annoying. :D

Well, the solution was an obscure setting deep down in the properties of wireless target (the place where you enter the WEP password, etc - not the wireless connection icon). A little tricky to find in the first place. The item is a tick box labeled "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for the network". Untick it and the problem goes away. :D:D Obvious, no??

I had run across this setting somewhere in the dozens of Google entries I read in the course of the last couple of days. The line has now stayed up for over an hour continuously, where before it dropped after every 5-7 minutes.

Once again, I thank everyone for their help and input.

Sjalom. Andy.

The ships now have several wireless access points and on the passenger cabin decks, I have found that there are typically 8 hotspots, 4 in each passageway centerline in the overhead. If you cabin is not close, the signal can be weak and marginal. What I have done is just prop open the metal cabin door with a trash can and that really helps. If what I am doing on my lap top and it is very important that I not loose the connection, I just go down to one of the public lounges and sit under a hot spot. They are not that hard to find.

Alan

Thought you might be interested in this.

Was causing me to pull what hair I had left.

Now all is well…….

The internet continued to drop sporadically.

It's an xp issue not a laptop problem even though it should disable this before shipping... Turn off power saving for the wireless network card. When you unplug the laptop the network card goes into power saving mode which reduces signal strength.

I found this on the internet but I did it a different way which is posted at the bottom, Both ways will work:

Left click your wireless icon (in the taskbar). In that window, choose "Properties." Beside the adapter window at the top of the resulting window, there is a "Configure" button. Click that button, choose the "Advanced" tab, and change the "Power Save" mode to "Off".

You can also get there by right clicking my computer than clicking properties. Click hardware tab. Click device manager. Under network adapters right click on your wireless card and select properties, in there you will find the settings under advanced tab.

That should fix your problem.

We just returned from the Crown Princess. DH was complaining about the slow response with our Acer netbook. He finally un-installed the Avast anti-virus and used Internet Explorer instead of FireFox (which he prefers) and then we had no problems. We never had our signal dropped while we were in our cabin and I would be on for 10-15 minutes at a time. I also had no problems being dropped while I was using my Ipod Touch.

I'm sure you all know this, but if you access the internet via your own laptop or notebook, you have to type 1.1.1.1 in the URL box to log off. It does log off after a certain number of inactive minutes, but the 1.1.1.1 does it immediately. Look for the session activity page to show you are really logged off.

Archived