Experienced Southern Caribbean cruisers - I need your opinions!

Jenbo57

Here are the two itineraries I'm choosing from:

St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts or

Grand Turk, Catalina Island (DR), Aruba, Curacao

Obviously, having four ports as opposed to three is appealing, but I've seen photos from St. Lucia and it looks absolutely stunning. Are all the ports equally as interesting as far as history, culture, etc., is concerned? We'll want to see as much as we can at each stop. Might do some snorkeling; not interested in laying around on the beach.

Thanks for your insight! :)

St. Lucia is stunning! It is as beautiful as the pictures you see.

I really enjoyed St. Maarten - it's interesting how the island is Dutch/French depending on which side of the island you are on.

St. Kitt's wasn't as interesting to me in comparison to those other two islands.

I haven't been to the other islands so I can't give you any input on those.

All I can say is you will love St. Lucia if you choose that cruise!

Grand Turk isn't much of a port. The dock was built by Carnival Corp. There is a shopping area with the usual stores, a Jimmy Buffet's, a large pool, and a huge beach with hundreds of chaises. Going in the ocean is difficult because there are so many rocks and shells.

They suffered a large hurricane about a year ago. The island still has a lot of damage. We rented a golf cart to drive around the island. While we had fun, there was absolutely nothing to see, except the many homes that had been damaged by the hurricane and a lighthouse that is no longer open.

When planning which itinerary, you can eliminate Grand Turk and just look at the other 3 ports for each.

We love St. Maartin (both sides) and Aruba and Curacao are also wonderful. You might want to decide which ship you want to go on since the ports might be equally wonderful (except Grand Turk.)

I've never been to Catalina Is. or St. Kitts.

Just my personal opinion, but I'm ambivalent about Aruba and St. Martin. I didn't think they lived up to their billing. Too touristy and as for Aruba, too Americanized. Neither one is particularly scenic. Grand Turk is pretty uninspiring, topographically, as well, although the water is beautiful.

Curacao is very interesting, culturally. The port of Willemstaadt is one of my favorite cities in the Caribbean. Lots of history and cool stuff to see.

Overall, the champ in the list is St. Lucia. It is absolutely magnificent. I thought the harbor is Castries looked like a movie set, like Steven Spielberg's idea of what a Caribbean port should look like. The countryside is amazing.

I'd lean toward the itinerary that includes St. Lucia.

Obviously, having four ports as opposed to three is appealing, but I've seen photos from St. Lucia and it looks absolutely stunning. Are all the ports equally as interesting as far as history, culture, etc., is concerned? We'll want to see as much as we can at each stop. Might do some snorkeling; not interested in laying around on the beach.

St. Lucia is the tie breaker!!!

Aruba and Curacao are two of our favorite islands throughout all of the Caribbean. We always enjoy days spent there.

I agree with sail. Curacao is just so different than the other islands. I love to walk across the swinging bridge. It is the only island I like to go shopping (and that is saying a lot as I hate shopping). Aruba is one our our favorite islands also. We usually go to the beach at Loc-Abana (sp) great spot. The water there is great very calm not too good for snorkeling, but a great way to spend the day.

Come back and tell us what you decided. No matter which one you choose have a great cruise.

We went to St. Lucia and St. Kitts and thought both were out of this world! They are were so beautiful and full of exotic tropical life and history. I'd definitely choose the St. Lucia itenerary but would love to see Aruba and Curacao also. It's a tough call!

We're leaving in a few days going Southern Caribbean on Millennium..Going to St. Croix, St. Kitts, Barbados, Dominica, Grenada, Curacao, Aruba, St. Lucia plus we're sailing out of Puerto Rico. This is an 11 night cruise. Keep looking and you may find one with all the ports you want to visit.

Archived