sea sickness and kids

april_4_us

Talk to their doctor.....most kids have no problems....do they get motion-sickness in cars, amusement rides, etc...? If not, they probably won't have an issue.

But do talk to their doctor about what is appropriate for them to take!

We didn't know my daughter got sea sick until she hurled. Trip to the ships Dr, a shot, and dramamine--we now travel with Dramamine, but we have also found sea sick bands and they do wonders. It is a pressure point on a wristband to help with it, and it works like a charm. On a later trip where there was some rough weather, she wore the bands and took a drama-bean--as she calls them. The are small inexpensive, and they work. I've recommended them to a friend who has also tried them for car sick issues and she said they work there too!

I'd rather have them (bands & meds) and not need them than need them and not have them!

We take a product called 'Ginger Trips' put out by Solaray. My daughter takes a couple about an hour BEFORE we ever board the ship and then a couple of times a day for maintenance. She never becomes seasick while taking the ginger a couple of times a day. She is a mess without them. Maybe psychological at this point, but we aren't going to take any chances.

As someone who has suffered from motion sickness since I was tiny and still do, I think you really need to talk to your doctor first to make sure that the medication/dosage is okay for your kids.

However, I do rely on ginger pills for cruising. I start taking them a week or so before I leave so that they have time to build up in my system. I also bring along bonine. I've always taken dramamine (recomended by my doctor when I was a child), but prefer bonine for a cruise since it is non-drowsy and does not interact with alcohol. I've taken dramamine long enough that it doesn't make me drowsy when I take it, but that tends to catch up with me later so I prefer to avoid that. If they (or you) start feeling the motion or feeling queasy, I recommend getting a ginger ale or sprite. For some reason, it helps. It also helps to get fresh air and go where you can see the movement. I feel the most motion in places like the dining room, where I can feel that the ship is rocking, but I can't see it. Going outside where I can see the ocean really helps.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My pediatrician did call me back and said the paatch would be fine for the 14 yr old but that the 9 yr old should take the bonine in the childrens dosage. The dramamine will make her tired. I want to be safe than sorry and not have anything on hand. Since this is our first cruise I dont want to waste time having a sick one when it can be prevented. Thanks again.

april

Thanks everyone for the replies. My pediatrician did call me back and said the paatch would be fine for the 14 yr old but that the 9 yr old should take the bonine in the childrens dosage. The dramamine will make her tired. I want to be safe than sorry and not have anything on hand. Since this is our first cruise I dont want to waste time having a sick one when it can be prevented. Thanks again.

april

My dd is 10 and we are going on our 1st cruise nextweek. I still have no idea what to get. I do plan on getting the bands , ginger gum but not sure what pills. Sound like bonnie might be good if it doesnt cause drowsiness.

I've heard many have side affects with he patch especially once they take it off.

I called the pharmacy and they have the childrens formula for an average price. I would go that way.

let me know how it works for you!

april

I will. I think the night before we cruise we will all take bonnie. The morning of the cruise we will wear wristbands.

Last year we went to wdw and i thought i would be the one to get sick on the air plane. ON the way there dd and dh did great. I stayed facing forward. On the way back the bus to airport dd threw up. On the plane back home dh threw up. I kept facing forward and didnt throw up. Everyone bet i would get sick hmmm!

So for the cruise I want to make sure we all dont get sick. Crusing is much cheaper then airfare-lol! DD and dh dont wanna vacation if we have to fly but maybe with meds in the future we can.

Can someone please tell me if kids bonnie taste bad. thANKS

My dd is 10 and we are going on our 1st cruise nextweek. I still have no idea what to get. I do plan on getting the bands , ginger gum but not sure what pills. Sound like bonnie might be good if it doesnt cause drowsiness.

I've heard many have side affects with he patch especially once they take it off.

I know I've said this many times, so my apologies to others that may have read this before.

We use a compounding pharmacy that puts Scopolamine in a gel form and places it in a syringe (no needle, of course). We rub that one our wrists twice a day and then as the cruise progresses, we use less. We have never had problems using the Scopolamine Patch but we like using it in a gel best. The primary reason is that we've had times when the patch was unavailable and this way, I know I can get it.

Archived