Are most still dressing up to dinner or wearing approved laid back clothing?

Illinoisgal

Wow' date=' Todd! You are the greatest! You're rich, live in a big expensive house and have a nationally-prominent minister.... you have everything!

Except class. :D

You call me a snobbish idiot? Isn't that a lot like "I know you are, but what am I?" How puerile and infantile. :)[/quote']

There you have it. Because I don't wear a suit or tux (btw, for the umpteenth time in this thread I am in dress slacks/shirt/tie on elegant nights) I have no class. No, I have plenty of class and know how to conduct myself in any company. What I DON'T have is a mind stuck 25 years ago like some of you.

Cultural norms change. What is acceptable dress has changed. Stop living in the past. Or else why do you not dress in clothes of the Victorian period?

Not quite sure what a dinning is, but you can wear what YOU like. As long as you go to places that don't moniter a dress code, you have nothing to worry about.

Pete, I think he might have been trying to spell "dining". But in his next post he mentions wearing a "pollo" shirt. He doesn't define it, but it must have chickens on it. :confused:

There you have it. Because I don't wear a suit or tux (btw, for the umpteenth time in this thread I am in dress slacks/shirt/tie on elegant nights) I have no class. No, I have plenty of class and know how to conduct myself in any company. What I DON'T have is a mind stuck 25 years ago like some of you.

Cultural norms change. What is acceptable dress has changed. Stop living in the past. Or else why do you not dress in clothes of the Victorian period?

Toddie, if you had any class, you would realize that your name-calling, your bragging about how rich you are, and how fancy your house is, and how famous your minister is, and how much "class" and savoir faire you have, is in itself proof of having no class.

If you are the standard of this "class" then I'm certainly glad that I don't have any of it, because it's rather disgusting. I'm done with this thread, I have said all I intend to. Go back to living in the past by all means.

I never claimed to have class. That would have been unclassy. :D

Buh-bye

All right kids play nice. We know what the suggested attire is. We all know some cruisers do not think the rules apply to them. If you want to dress up every night so be it. If you want to wear the more resort casual clothing also approved from the cruiseline that is fine too. No one should look down or up at anyone else as long as they are in the suggested clothing. It would be nice if Carnival enforced the rules, and it would be nice if people who do not comply eat at Lido etc.

That said the point of this was for me to see if I should still dress as I have before , or due to the luggage issues go more resort casual like Carnival suggests I can any night other than elegant night. That doesnt mean IM trying to act better than anyone else, nor do I feel negatively towards anyone wearing the approved shorts when I took the time to dress up.

Now everyone relax and go have a coctail ( and one for me since Im on the tami flu I cant )

Pollo must come from chef training. Chicken must be on the menu. And I'll correct myself in future, a chef must know how to spell dinning room better than I, or is that me, or moi?:D

In any case Slacks, shirt and tie is certainly within todays relaxed "Cruise Elegant" guidelines. I don't care for the new relaxed guidelines but they are what they are. Carnival did not enforce the old Formal guidelines anyway.

Yes, because people who don't like to put on suits or tuxes are low class scum who only know McDonalds :rolleyes: You sound like a snobbish idiot. Guess what? I make a lot of money, live in an extremely affluent area, know how to "hob nob" ... and I DON'T want to and will not wear a suit.

"Well, bless his little heart" :D . . . a southern expression I just recently learned the meaning of while attending my international truck club rally in Kerrville, Texas this summer. :rolleyes:

"Well, bless his little heart" :D . . . a southern expression I just recently learned the meaning of while attending my international truck club rally in Kerrville, Texas this summer. :rolleyes:

So true! :D "Bless his heart" is a very polite, but deadly, Southern put-down. :)

Do people really get offended by what other people wear? Just curious. I go to the dining room to eat, I'm not paying attention to anybody else.

The people who make noise about it on these boards are pretty vocal and numerous, but actually constitute only an extremely small minority of a percentage of the actual cruising population in my experience. On my last cruise at our large table not one single couple ever put on a suit for instance. We all felt much more casual about our dress (never tshirts shorts or inapropriate, but definately not the stuffed shirt types that are whinning on this thread).

That's very unfair. You could also say that the people who want to disregard the cruise line's preferences are trying to live out some fantasy about being on a floating McDonald's and are the selfish ones.

The cruise line makes it very clear what they prefer. They also' date=' reluctantly, now will allow people who don't really know how to dress for various occasions to attend, but that is far from "approving" of such apparel. It's just an acknowledgment that class and social awareness are not possessed by a lot of their guests. :rolleyes:[/quote']

Carnival does make it very clear what they prefer. They spell it out in the new dress code.

But do you honestly think Carnival really cares what peope are wearing to dinner?

Places that have a real dress code have it because they are trying to attract a certain type of person. The only type of person Carnival is trying to attract is the ones who have the money to spend on a cruise. Requirements end there.

They have had the psudeo formal nights for people to play fantasy dress up. I actually attend several real formal events each year. My bf is a military officer so those parties are usually very fancy. But even those I think is just an excuse so they can wear their dress uniforms because they rarely have a need to wear them otherwise.

When I attend formal affairs, it is with friends and associates or co workers/club members and I dress formal on those occassions. The formal nights on Carnival were so far removed from a real formal affair I can not even express it. It was more a dress up party for adults. To give people who never get the chance at home to dress up to have an excuse to dress up. Plus it sold more pictures.

A real formal affair you dress up, converse with others, usually have a meal, and mix and mingle, maybe watch some entertainment and that has never in my case been waiters dancing to hot hot hot or dancing on the tables. In fact, I can never remember seeing the waiters entertaining the guests in any way.

The great thing is, if your idea of fun is to dress to the nines for a meal with 1500 people you do not know, get your picture taken, then run back to your cabin and change clothes for the rest of the night, then you are free to go for it. I do not need to play pretend formal night, because I attend several real ones a year and that is enough for me. When I get in from a real formal evening, all I usually want to do is go to bed because I am worn out.

The people who make noise about it on these boards are pretty vocal and numerous, but actually constitute only an extremely small minority of a percentage of the actual cruising population in my experience. On my last cruise at our large table not one single couple ever put on a suit for instance. We all felt much more casual about our dress (never tshirts shorts or inapropriate, but definately not the stuffed shirt types that are whinning on this thread).

I thought you were gone. :D

True, there IS a tiny minority who are very vocal, and they childishly call names and try to ridicule those who are simply following the suggestions and preferences of the cruise line. They call us "snobbish idiots", "phonies" and characterize us as people who are pretending to be rich and classy in a situation which isn't as formal as a true black-tie event might be. The implication is that if it's not truly formal in the strictest sense of the word, then it's okay to ignore the requests and preferences of the cruise line.

And we're accused of "whinning". I can't argue that, since I don't know what "whinning" means. Is it an attempted spelling of "winning"? Or is he trying to spell "whinnying". Maybe he's just horsing around. :)

As for the single couple putting on a suit, I would pay good money to see them attempt to do that. :)

It's really hard to take arguments seriously when they come from a source which obviously has written communication issues. You just can't know what they're trying to say.

And, once again, the Rude Side continues to confuse "approved" with "allowed". "Approved" means that it's welcomed and that it honors the cruise line's suggestions and requests. "Allowed" means that it's the barest minimum which will be tolerated but far from what is expected and requested of sophisticated passengers.

I just got off the Legend last week and about 90% of the passengers were dressed elegantly (i.e. a minimum of a coat and tie for men ).

In Toddworld, apparently one sees only what one is wanting to see. :)

This thread has once again confirmed that the ones who dress up in order to live out some fantasy and expect others to follow are the selfish ones. :D

LOL! Yep........

Actually, I follow the dress code. On normal nights I'm in either khaki's and a pollo or jeans and a dress shirt. Cruise elegant nights I wear dress slacks/dress shirt/tie. No jacket. No suit. But perfectly within the dress code.

And that is all that matters.........times are changing, cruise ships are changing and a small majority have a hard time with it........they are just trying to hold on to the past as long as they can.........

LOL! Yep........

And that is all that matters.........times are changing, cruise ships are changing and a small majority have a hard time with it........they are just trying to hold on to the past as long as they can.........

LOL. "They've" been saying that since at least the 60's. Always funny to read someone "say" this.

Going on a cruise is special for us, so we like to dress up on the elegant nights because we never have the opportunity, except for cruising. Suit and tie for hubby and cocktail dress for me, but on other nights in the dining room, pants and collared polo shirt for hubby, maybe a sun dress or capris and a top for me.

As far as what you wear in the dining room - be comfortable, but be respectful of others (nix the "Daisy Dukes", halter tops, cut-offs and muscle shirts:eek:). Everyone has their own opinion as to how "one" should dress. Just remember, it's your cruise! Have fun.

I dont want this to turn into a dining room proper attire debate. As you can see Ive sailed many times before. This is the first time we will be flying where we have to pay for luggage since Southwest jacked up their prices and screwed up the schedule.

Im wondering if many people are taking advantage of the more laid back dress code recently. We will be gone 11 days and trying to pack as light as possible. I always would change into a dress or capris and nice blouse/top for dinner then change back. I still amd bringing the suit and gown but what about the other days?? I dont want to stick out , does it feel weird wearing nice shorts and top?

Some are taking advantage of a more casual approach. From what we have seen it was dressier on the caribbean cruises, and the mexican riviera cruise we saw more jeans in the DR.

Yeah, I'd feel weird in shorts and a top - but that's me. It's all about your comfort level.

LOL. "They've" been saying that since at least the 60's. Always funny to read someone "say" this.

I agree' date=' Pete. It's been almost 50 years since Bob Dylan sang that song. Makes you wonder who's living in the past. :D[/quote']

LOL . . . I've often wondered how Dylan currently deals with that "don't trust anyone over 30" statement he made so many years ago. :D

Damn, those were great years . . . :)

I dont want this to turn into a dining room proper attire debate. As you can see Ive sailed many times before. This is the first time we will be flying where we have to pay for luggage since Southwest jacked up their prices and screwed up the schedule.

Im wondering if many people are taking advantage of the more laid back dress code recently. We will be gone 11 days and trying to pack as light as possible. I always would change into a dress or capris and nice blouse/top for dinner then change back. I still amd bringing the suit and gown but what about the other days?? I dont want to stick out , does it feel weird wearing nice shorts and top?

We just got off Miracle on Tuesday. (And boy do I miss her so much!)

We wore shorts and nice shirts to dinner every casual night. I even wore nice flip-flops. :eek: (No, not the plastic, beach kind.)

While waiting to get into the dining room, my DH and I sat in the Gotham Lounge and watched the people in line. I'd say that over 95% of the men wore pants and over 95% of the women wore slacks, capris or dresses. We saw very few jeans and shorts. This was just those standing in the line. I cannot tell you what people already seated were wearing because the table cloths hid everything below the waist.

We did not feel under dressed at all. In fact, this was the most relaxing of the our six cruises, and I honestly believe our comfort at dinner had much to do with it.

We dressed to the nines on elegant nights. DH wore a suit and I wore a long black skirt with coordinating tops. Almost everyone else in line to get into the dining room was also dressed very well.

As far as amount of clothing to pack, we did two loads of laundry on the ship.

If you are the standard of this "class" then I'm certainly glad that I don't have any of it, because it's rather disgusting. I'm done with this thread, I have said all I intend to. Go back to living in the past by all means.

I Love Swan Songs . . . :D (the most entertaining part of any blog or forum)

I'll never buy another Chevy truck

I'm never cruising Carnival again

I'm leaving Cruise Critic for good

I'm done with this thread

Archived